Talk

Advanced search

Cancelling an item on eBay.

(82 Posts)
ThisLittleKitty Sat 13-Jan-18 19:06:04

Prepared to get flamed for this! But would you consider cancelling an item you sold on eBay if an identical item sold one hour after it for double the price your one sold for?! And we are not talking a few pounds either!... Wibu?? (It's not been paid for yet if that makes a difference)

Hotpinkangel19 Sat 13-Jan-18 19:10:45

Yes I would!

HoHoHoHo Sat 13-Jan-18 19:11:37

No. If you wanted more for it you should have started the bidding higher

TheVanguardSix Sat 13-Jan-18 19:12:21

That would be unethical, however the decision is yours.

WhyFy Sat 13-Jan-18 19:12:26

Nope. I'd chalk it up to experience and know better for next time. You'll get a bad feedback if you do and this will put off future bidders.

Didn't you research the typical selling price before listing your item? I always search for the item on EBay and filter results so I see the latest sold ones. Then I get am idea of what people are willing to pay. I then start my auctions at the minimum price id be happy to accept for it.

ScreamingValenta Sat 13-Jan-18 19:14:53

Only if you're prepared for your buyer to trash your feedback and report you as a non-performing seller.

There's no guarantee if you relist it that it will go for the same as the other one.

ThisLittleKitty Sat 13-Jan-18 19:16:08

The weird thing is mine is the price they normally go for so I can't understand why the other got double the price. (I just set it for the recommended starting bid by eBay.) there's was actually less than mine yesterday but both ended today with their one ending double.

ScreamingValenta Sat 13-Jan-18 19:20:04

Can you say what type of item it was, without being too revealing - tech; clothes; household?

StellaTins Sat 13-Jan-18 19:21:57

Nope

NeedMoreSleepOrSugar Sat 13-Jan-18 19:26:38

If yours sold around the usual selling price then even if you did cancel the sale (unethical and against rules), what makes you think you'd achieve the inflated price if you relisted?

ThisLittleKitty Sat 13-Jan-18 19:30:35

It's the fact it's double to price lol (we are talking £40 and £80) if it was a few pounds difference or even a tenner then I wouldn't be bothered. What I would do is just relist it at a higher price but a buy it now. Like £65 it's hard to say what it is without being identifiable but it's a baby item (not clothes)

londonrach Sat 13-Jan-18 19:33:45

Whens the item going to end. Dont think you can cancel if less than 24 hours. No idea why you get bad feedback if no one bought it. If its less than 24 hours or someone bought it yabu. (Never used ebay, just heard dh)

CoffeeAndCupcakes85 Sat 13-Jan-18 19:46:15

It's already sold but hasn't been paid for.

Personally I think it's wrong and wouldn't do it. Yes, of course it's frustrating, but it would be really unfair for your buyer.

mummmy2017 Sat 13-Jan-18 19:53:42

If you got a bargain and they cancelled it and resold it for more, how would you feel, be honest.

jelliebelly Sat 13-Jan-18 19:54:51

Completely inappropriate and basically fraud

ThisLittleKitty Sat 13-Jan-18 19:57:25

Well I was annoyed when a bidder bidded on it then told me he wanted to cancel it because his wife had already bought one. I didn't demand he still bought it. It's no different from that surely?

ShowOfHands Sat 13-Jan-18 19:57:29

Somebody did it to me recently. I reported them as a non performing seller and left negative feedback. You can do it but I think it's a poor show.

TheDailyMailIsADisgustingRag Sat 13-Jan-18 19:57:29

No. For all you know, the item which sold for more might end up with no payment. People get into a bidding frenzy on there at times and bid too much.

44PumpLane Sat 13-Jan-18 19:57:45

The buyer of the other item may not pay when they realise they are paying twice the usual price. It's not unusual to be screwed about by buyers on ebay.

Yours is sold, you've achieved the right price, I'd leave it st that.

Polarbear46 Sat 13-Jan-18 19:58:16

nope, its a auction, shit like that happens. Thats eBay.

BattleCuntGalactica Sat 13-Jan-18 19:58:28

Wow. That would be a really shit thing to do. If i were bidding on that item as a buyer, and I saw you pulling that I'd be talking to eBay customer service to call you out for manipulating a listing.

ShowOfHands Sat 13-Jan-18 20:00:40

Doesn't matter what other people do. You don't have to filter your moral compass through the behaviours of other people. Either you want to be slightly greedy and slightly dishonest or you don't.

PinkChestnut Sat 13-Jan-18 20:03:18

I wouldn't risk it. If the other one sold unusually high it's likely due to two people caught in the moment of bidding and no guarantee you'd get the same. Higher buy it now price might just mean it doesn't sell.

fairgame84 Sat 13-Jan-18 20:03:35

Could it be that the other sold for more due to location if it's a collection item?
I wouldn't do it because it could backfire and you might end up with even less when it next sells.

halcyondays Sat 13-Jan-18 20:04:00

No, definitely not. It's the chance you take when selling or buying on eBay. Do an advance search on almost anything and you'll probably see a wide variety of prices that the same item goes for.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: