Talk

Advanced search

Would you take a child out of school for 2 weeks of Year 9?

(35 Posts)
Queenoffalafels Sat 13-Jan-18 18:07:39

It’s not my child I hasten to add. I’m not against taking children out of school per se but I’m just trying to understand what year 9 is like and what the impact of an absence at that time of year might be as I’ve been asked my opinion and my gut reaction is it’s not a good idea.

So I’m mainly curious to hear from people who are ok with children being taken out of school in principle if there are any around!

HeyMacWey Sat 13-Jan-18 18:10:39

No I wouldn't.
They cover so much in two weeks that it would be a pita for them to catch up.
Don't they start the gcse curriculum in year 9 now?

Pengggwn Sat 13-Jan-18 18:10:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

monkeysox Sat 13-Jan-18 18:11:15

It depends on the student tbh.
If they'd catch up easily I'd do it.

LokiBear Sat 13-Jan-18 18:11:41

Yes. Although I can't, I'm a teacher. But I would if I could. Pre GCSEs I think family time can be prioritised. In year 10 and above I wouldn't at all.

Pengggwn Sat 13-Jan-18 18:12:28

LoniceraJaponica Sat 13-Jan-18 18:13:59

No. There is too much for them to catch up at thst age.

Topseyt Sat 13-Jan-18 18:14:45

In my DD's school Year 9 is the start of their GCSE course, as they do it over three years rather than compressing it into two.

So no, I would not take them out of school in Year 9. The only absence my DD had was a single day (which was authorised by the school) to go to her older sister's graduation ceremony. That was on the very final day of the summer term.

I certainly would not take them on holiday or anything, if that is what the issue is. We had to stick to school holidays for that (I am not a teacher, but had teachers for parents).

ClareB83 Sat 13-Jan-18 18:15:58

I would if I thought the school would ok it and the child is a good student. I took a two week break in school time on several occasions and it was easy to 'catch up'.

Considering the curriculum basically repeats itself years 7-9 there wasn't even much catching up to do - a bit of French vocabulary and reading the English Lit book.

iamyourequal Sat 13-Jan-18 18:17:43

You have not said what time of year it's to happen:

Queen. What the impact of an absence at that time of year might be...'

LockedOutOfMN Sat 13-Jan-18 18:17:46

I wouldn't do it unless unavoidable e.g. child needs an operation. It's hard for them to catch up in all sorts of ways.

athingthateveryoneneeds Sat 13-Jan-18 18:18:22

I'm pretty relaxed about school attendance (I let my yr 10 dd stay home on the last day of term before Christmas, half day, no lessons, basically babysitting) but they start GCSEs in year 9 and that's a lot of class time to miss.

maddiemookins16mum Sat 13-Jan-18 18:18:23

I wouldn't for two weeks. A couple of days, maybe, but not two weeks.

Queenoffalafels Sat 13-Jan-18 18:19:50

Oh sorry iam I thought I had. It would be end of October/start of November

Shakirasma Sat 13-Jan-18 18:26:31

No way.

Cornishcreamtea1977 Sat 13-Jan-18 18:43:21

GCSE courses start round here in year 9 so no I wouldn't.

gillybeanz Sat 13-Jan-18 18:46:34

I would, depending obviously what it was for.
You can soon ask the teacher what points they covered, they will have a plan of work for every subject that the child misses.
They go over each topic so much anyway, to make sure that learning is consolidated.
If the parents are happy to work with the child when they return I see know problem tbh.

AuditAngel Sat 13-Jan-18 18:59:40

I wouldn't, but might be swayed depending on the reason. DD's may be competing in the karate world championships this year, DS in year 9 will not be coming, but if DD1 was in year 9 and competing, I would take her out for it.

Pengggwn Sat 13-Jan-18 19:04:33

LoniceraJaponica Sat 13-Jan-18 20:46:43

"gillybeanz Would you really ask for the teacher's resources, having removed your child from school for two weeks?"

I bet the teachers wouldn't be too happy.

When did schools start the GCSE syllabus in year 9? It has always been in year 10 at DD's school.

bluemosquito Sat 13-Jan-18 20:49:55

Educatingbrigita0 Sat 13-Jan-18 20:51:01

Yes and we did . With Easter holidays it was actually 4 1/2 weeks . School were fab , no concerns about them not making up work or falling behind . Yes there was some GCSE work but at end of year test we just made sure they covered the bits they missed and they did well .

tinytemper66 Sat 13-Jan-18 20:55:05

You may find that half term may count for one of the weeks so you may only be off for one week. I am a teacher and I would advise against it from January onward due to Options and often the fact that Parents` Evenings are held during that term but for the Autumn term I wouldn`t be too bothered. As long as your child as the type to be proactive and copy up.

gillybeanz Sat 13-Jan-18 21:30:22

No, I'd ask for general topic and supervise her myself.
Our eldest was suspended from school for half a term, we managed alright then. It was a complete stupid thing to do, nothing malicious btw.

I know lots of schools where GCSE's aren't started before Y10 as too many children couldn't manage the step up before this.
I'm not saying it would be a brilliant idea for all kids in all types of school.
But why such a resounding no.

RainbowPastel Sat 13-Jan-18 21:31:59

No way. My Dd worked solidly from Y9 onwards.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: