Talk

Advanced search

Roast trimmings

(49 Posts)
Wishful25 Sat 13-Jan-18 15:48:30

I'm cooking a big roast tomorrow (Lamb) and am utterly fed up of my usual routine veg. AIBU to ask for your favourite veg accompaniments pls for veg inspiration. I don't normally do Lamb either so tips there would be well received too. Thanks!

Figrollsnotfatrolls Sat 13-Jan-18 15:50:32

Funky peas!! Bag of frozen peas in a saucepan, chopped onion, tub of double cream. Boil until cream reduced and onion cooked.
Best peas you will ever taste!!
Dc named them BTW!!

Calic0 Sat 13-Jan-18 15:56:31

I love gratin dauphinoise with lamb (basically just thin sliced potatoes cooked in cream and garlic).

Roasted kale is yummy and gives a really good, crispy texture to a plate. Just toss in oil and seasoning and roast for 5-10 mins with everything else.

Carrot and ginger mash is a standard accompaniment in our house too - boiled carrots, knob of butter, plenty of grated fresh root ginger...grin

TheExtraPickle Sat 13-Jan-18 15:57:52

Leeks in cream sauce and sharp vinegary red cabbage. Nom.

Pengggwn Sat 13-Jan-18 15:59:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrTrebus Sat 13-Jan-18 15:59:41

Roasted root and med veg (courgettes peppers red onion squash sweet potato etc etc)

Cauliflower cheese

LouiseH2017 Sat 13-Jan-18 16:00:07

Rosemary and garlic roasted new potatoes

tkband3 Sat 13-Jan-18 16:02:48

Cauliflower cheese
Honey roast carrots
Maple roasted parsnips

I like pommes dauphinoise but find it a bit heavy - you could do pommes boulanger instead, which is similar but without the cream.

HonkyWonkWoman Sat 13-Jan-18 16:03:37

Figrolls your Funkypeas should win Masterchef imo!
Will have to leave house now for double cream.
Will be worth it I'm sure! grin

Notreallyarsed Sat 13-Jan-18 16:04:11

@Figrollsnotfatrolls funky peas sound lovely!

I like potato dauphinoise with lamb, or cauliflower cheese. Red cabbage with apple is lovely too.

Rememberallball Sat 13-Jan-18 16:05:22

I chop veggies - red onions, leeks, carrots, parsnips, courgettes - chunky and put under the meat whenever I do a roast. I get amazing juices for the gravy and the bonus of gorgeous roasted veggies to use.

Oh, and I make onion sauce when we have lamb - chop brown or white onions, cook in a small amount of water then add cornflour mixed with milk and continue to cook until thickened season and then spoon in top of roast lamb

tkband3 Sat 13-Jan-18 16:05:42

Oh and I'd slow roast the lamb...this recipe is lovely.

Figrollsnotfatrolls Sat 13-Jan-18 16:07:06

Last week dh forgot to put the dauphinoise potatoes in (I confess a jar!) so he did mash, added the jar and finished off in the oven til crispy on top!! Was bloody delicious!! Going to do them instead of original way from now on!!

WellAlwaysHaveParis Sat 13-Jan-18 16:15:18

Great thread OP smile watching with interest.

LakieLady Sat 13-Jan-18 16:16:22

DP makes dauphinoise potatoes from scratch, but his are layered with Gruyere as well as the cream and garlic. They are fab, and not hard to make at all.

We've never had them with roast lamb (never thought of it, tbh), but now that it's been suggested I think it sounds fab.

extinctspecies Sat 13-Jan-18 16:19:29

This is my favourite way of cooking roast lamb: www.rivercottage.net/recipes/roast-shoulder-of-lamb-with-merguez-spices

LambMadras Sat 13-Jan-18 16:44:05

Onion sauce is lush with lamb. Basically really soft onions in a pan with butter, add flour and milk to make a white sauce. It's yummy!!

Roast carrots are delicious with it too.

NorthernLurker Sat 13-Jan-18 16:46:27

Slow roasted beetroot.

JazzHandsJack Sat 13-Jan-18 17:13:16

How about roasted root veg with goats cheese. Beetroot, onions, squash, bit of olive oil and rosemary. Dot some goats cheese on top last half hour of cooking. Goes well too with steak and dauphinois.

sirlee66 Sat 13-Jan-18 17:21:10

Omg potato delphinoues !! Im drooling!!! minty lamb with rosemary and garlic! Cauli cheese.. aaahhmmaagooodddd heaven.

Back to my egg and chips tonight then ........,...

cricketballs3 Sat 13-Jan-18 17:23:53

Its the law that you have mash with lamb gravy...apart from that roasters cooked in garlic and rosemary oil

newmumwithquestions Sat 13-Jan-18 17:34:56

I slow roast lamb and love it but think it’s too rich for something creamy. Serve with 80/20 normal/sweet potato mash with lots of freshly chopped mint leaves in

newmumwithquestions Sat 13-Jan-18 17:37:29

And lots of gravy of course!
Im hungry....

Oh also how about chard? allrecipes.com/recipe/218594/lemon-garlic-rainbow-chard/

Dancetothebeat32 Sat 13-Jan-18 17:38:24

I sometimes like to serve lamb with Mediterranean veg roasted baby potatoes, tzatziki and flatbread

DancesWithOtters Sat 13-Jan-18 17:39:41

Asparagus wrapped in prosciutto. Cabbage with bacon lardons. Buttery mashed swede with black pepper. Roasted root veg. Garlic cauliflower cheese with bacon on top.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now