Talk

Advanced search

to ask if you would cancel your TV license in protest.

(39 Posts)
GardenGeek Sat 13-Jan-18 13:34:35

I have decided I would.

DP will let me. Was an easy sell grin I said he can have his gaming on the main TV for the duration.

I think a mass cancellation on a specific day would send a strong message; send accounts into a meltdown.

Theres a women in every household.

I think its the strongest act I can think of.

Would anyone else do this?

NoFucksImAQueen Sat 13-Jan-18 13:44:06

We already don't have one but I'm intrigued. What are we protesting?

BeyondThePage Sat 13-Jan-18 13:44:40

what is the protest?

athingthateveryoneneeds Sat 13-Jan-18 13:45:12

Haven't had a license for years. Glad to not be funding that cesspit.

Smokeahontas Sat 13-Jan-18 13:45:58

I’m very actively considering this, especially after John Humphrey’s antics this week. The BBC have been happy to suspend any female presenters talking about pay disparity, but he’s allowed to very clearly take the piss & continue.

MrsMaxwell Sat 13-Jan-18 13:46:01

A woman in every household?

WTAF?

Bellamuerte Sat 13-Jan-18 13:48:29

Imo it's cutting off your nose to spite your face. I like watching the telly! How much the people on the telly earn isn't my problem.

c3pu Sat 13-Jan-18 13:48:53

Theres a women in every household.

Single dad to two boys here, stag only.

I don't have a TV licence though if it helps 😂

IvorBiggun Sat 13-Jan-18 13:50:20

This is because of the gender pay gap yes? I agree it’s disgusting. I also think there is likely to be specific breaches of the Equal Pay Act which is absolutely unforgivable.

I’m not boycotting though. We need the BBC because the work produced is of tremdous value. They need to get their house in order but there are better ways to do this than a boycott.

chocolatestrawberries Sat 13-Jan-18 13:53:51

Glad your husband is letting you...

GardenGeek Sat 13-Jan-18 13:55:22

The BBC treating women like shit.

smoke exactly.

I will do the same day as you if you are up for it.

Apologies mrs I am a bit riled grin
Theres a women in most households is probably more fitting statement.

BeyondThePage Sat 13-Jan-18 13:56:16

Are we saying that we need to stop those horrid men employing better agents than women?

the gender pay gap is disgusting, but it is not happening in a vacuum

NewYearNewMe18 Sat 13-Jan-18 13:57:08

And you think getting a criminal record is somehow productive?

Didntcomeheretofuckspiders Sat 13-Jan-18 13:57:20

We’ve just sent off the form to say we don’t need one anyway! No tv, never watch anything live on iPlayer... although I’d like to know how they prove that!

Bloomed Sat 13-Jan-18 13:57:35

I will!

IvorBiggun Sat 13-Jan-18 13:59:49

It’s nothing to do with agents. The corporation pays the bill so they are responsible in ensuring pay is fair.

CuriousaboutSamphire Sat 13-Jan-18 13:59:49

No!

Mainly because the license fee is not imposed to pay for the BBC but is a license to watch live streamed tv.

We need a more focussed way to boycott the BBC... and a different way of making our anger known!

PinkSparklyPussyCat Sat 13-Jan-18 14:04:06

No, I enjoy watching TV and don’t want to get a criminal record.

GardenGeek Sat 13-Jan-18 14:04:15

I am going to sign up again after! grin

And no I wont be illegally watching. I can go without a few weeks of live TV or Iplayer. 4od and Netflix etc will do me for a while.

I was saying yesterday that I would pay the whole TV license just to watch that Big cats program! Its not about destroying the finances of the bbc. Its about showing them we can destroy the finances.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Sat 13-Jan-18 14:05:21

I’m also in a contract with Sky so I’m not wasting money something I can’t watch

GardenGeek Sat 13-Jan-18 14:07:26

Wooo go bloomed grin

GardenGeek Sat 13-Jan-18 14:10:11

Me too pink

I thought that the perfect way to prove I am not watching it. Take the sky box away and put the TV aerial away.

We have internet package too - so I lose about 10-15 for a month of lost sky TV but I am happy to pay that.

Snowysky20009 Sat 13-Jan-18 14:10:20

Think you would bebetter saying, an adult in every household. Males can hold the same view as a female and agree with them- it's possible.

rightsaidfrederickII Sat 13-Jan-18 14:12:38

I'd cancel my TV licence if I had one blush

GardenGeek Sat 13-Jan-18 14:12:56

Glad your husband is letting you...

Its my DP grin

I think its important to ask everyone in your households agreement. I am not running a dictatorship here! and don't want to be committing an offence if he watches something.

So obviously its important he agrees.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: