Talk

Advanced search

So are we ignoring the Trump- African countries are shitholes comments

(16 Posts)
80sQueen Sat 13-Jan-18 12:56:15

Where are all the people who thought this guy was alright and voted for him. The ones who claimed he wasn't racist just honest. The same African countries he describes as shitholes support several economic infrastructures in the west. Such as France who would be a third world country without African resources. Also given that he likes to tweet so much, his and everyone's mobile phones wouldn't work without the resources from African countries such as Congo, Zimbabwe and South Africa who provide the precious materials for all those fancy mobile phones. How about we talk about Haiti and how the west has continued to rape that country of its resources while at the same time pretend it's helping it. Despite Haiti being one of the richest countries in resources and yet the people being the poorest. Trump also forgets the thousands of Western people including Americans currently living in those same countries he calls shitholes, who are living lifestyles they could not live in their own countries. Can't wait till he goes

Notreallyarsed Sat 13-Jan-18 12:57:45

I’m not ignoring it, I honestly just don’t know where to even start with the shite he comes out with. It’s so utterly outrageous it leaves me stunned, each and every time. He’s an abomination of a man, an aberration of what a human should be.

mummymeister Sat 13-Jan-18 13:01:23

I think for most americans anyway they are just hunkering down and sitting it out for his presidency. how do you fight against stupid?

The man is seriously devaluing the country on the global stage and it just shows how much damage one person can do to a country in such a short space of time.

Brokenbiscuit Sat 13-Jan-18 13:02:06

I'm not ignoring it either, but what is there left to say? The man is an absolute disgrace but then, we knew that already. I'm not even shocked by his pronouncements any more, as he has made his views very clear.

I continue to be horrified by his presence in the Whitehouse, but feel utterly powerless to do anything about it.

StopTheRoundabout Sat 13-Jan-18 13:07:09

The man is a total idiot. I think his general opinion is losing weight with people. The more ridiculous he behaves, the less people pay attention to him.

80sQueen Sat 13-Jan-18 13:09:34

I don't expect anything less from the Trump, it was clear to most Black people what he was, and I know Americans voted for him, but there were a lot of supporters of him here in the U.K. too. What makes me angry is this narrative about Africa being a dump, poor, backward etc. and that Africans are running to the West because Africa is such a "shithole". It's not just Trump who believes this a lot of others do too. When the real truth is that Europe and America are not in contact with the African continent because of the poor starving African children hmm but because Ira reliant on and needs its resources.If Africa shut its doors tomorrow the West would declare war on it. The same people who voted for him are now scared as he is clearly out of control.

TheStoic Sat 13-Jan-18 13:09:34

Presumably his supporters agree with him on this.

Brokenbiscuit Sat 13-Jan-18 13:13:16

Sadly, I doubt that many of those who spoke up for Trump before - whether in the US or in the UK - will have changed their tune now. We knew what he was then. Nothing has changed. sad

MyAimIsTrue Sat 13-Jan-18 13:15:06

I didn't know anyone over here who thought he was a good idea, except one woman on here and she seems to have disappeared.

Nikephorus Sat 13-Jan-18 13:21:09

I just roll my eyes and carry on. He talks bollocks and will continue to do so until the happy day when he leaves the White House for good.
Yes, the countries he's referring to do have lousy conditions, but I don't agree with referring to them as 'shitholes' - that's just rude. But it's what he's like. He's ignorant and doesn't think before he speaks. And the only people who take him seriously and are influenced by him are the sort of people that share his views anyway. If he really was genuinely influential (in that he was respected and seen as being truthful) then it would be a problem. But anyone with half a brain cell just sees it as another nail in his coffin. It's just "Trump being Trump".

Nikephorus Sat 13-Jan-18 13:22:40

I didn't know anyone over here who thought he was a good idea
You could argue that he is a good idea because he's bringing America rapidly down to the level of the rest of us, instead of being seen as the great world power. grin

lljkk Sat 13-Jan-18 13:22:58

What Stoic said. The 25% who voted him in, don't mind him saying this at all. I don't know what Trump could do or say for that hardcore base to decide he's an embarrassment. It's very unAmerican to be so negative. I just feel sad for the people who find this man appealing. How horrible is their world view that they think this guy is ok?

About 68% of Americans don't like DT; I'm guessing that at least 50% actively dislike him.

80sQueen Sat 13-Jan-18 13:29:28

Enough of them voted him in, the only positive thing is that the underbelly of racism still strongly prevalent in Amerikkka is being exposed. I feel sorry for the immigrant population there it is a scary time. As even though Trump is talking shite, he has passionate followers who feel validated in their behaviour. America is already a racially divided country but Trumps presidency has increased the number of racist members and crimes. There are people in the U.S who are experiencing the backlash of this and we should not forget the overwhelming number of people who voted for him, who are too embarrassed to admit if now

80sQueen Sat 13-Jan-18 13:30:20

**racist murders not members

MsHooliesCardigan Sat 13-Jan-18 13:46:33

There has been a thread about Trump on here since before his inauguration and it fills up about every 10 days. 99% of the people who post on there think he’s a racist misogynistic narcissistic sociopath.
There was one very vocal Trump supporter who seems to have vanished.
I do think it’s important not to get desensitised to how awful he is. I used to have an uncle who had appallingly racist and homophobic views which would really come to the surface when he’d had a few drinks. Whoever got stuck with him at any gathering would just roll their eyes at everyone and escape as quickly as possible.
A lot of families have a family member like this and people just say ‘Oh, that’s just Uncle Fred being Uncle Fred, just take no notice’.
But this ‘man’ is the President of the USA with all the power that goes with that.
There is a core of Americans who will support him whatever he does or says but I think the tide is definitely turning against him.

lljkk Sat 13-Jan-18 13:50:44

DT wasn't voted for by an overwhelming number of people.
DT got ~26% of vote, HC got about 27%, ~ 47% did not vote.

I don't see DT's primary defect being racism. He's a populist & populists tend to get into power on the back of resentment. Americans traditionally didn't do jealousy in our politics. We admired success, did not resent it. Plus, DT doesn't understand the constitution (or respect it); he's the most anti-American president we've ever had.

DT found a nasty coalition of activist backers: ultra-rich after tax breaks, anti-globalists, populists, evangelicals, racists, gun nuts, anti-intellectuals, isolationists, alt-right hardliners (others I forget). All opposed to liberal democracy. HC was right to at least privately think of them as a basket of deplorables.

Read the 1956 Eisenhower/GOP platform, and weep. sad

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: