Talk

Advanced search

Have I just been mocked?

(78 Posts)
StealthPolarBear Sat 13-Jan-18 11:07:50

Was on a call about our broadband. I was told twice what a wonderful lady I was and how it had been such a pleasure to talk to such a wonderful lady as myself and if the rest of his customers were like me he'd be very pleased. I was also asked twice to forgive him for sounding awkward as he had a cold.

StealthPolarBear Sat 13-Jan-18 11:09:30

Oh and I was also told after all this that what "guaranteed 30Mbps" means is that they'll try their hardest to get yiu to within 70% of that.

BulletFox Sat 13-Jan-18 11:10:38

Yes how DARE they call you a wonderful lady?? We know the troof, but we'll keep it quiet wink

It's probably his 'patter' so to speak

StealthPolarBear Sat 13-Jan-18 11:12:16

He sounded very scripted but if that's in a script they need to sack the scriptwriters. I did almost ask "are you taking the piss?"
I do wonder how the call would have gone with dh on the other end.

Oldraver Sat 13-Jan-18 11:12:57

Mmm well, was this a foreign call centre ? I have had several from Indian call centres and I can only describe the calls as so arse licky I was cringing for them.

Every answer was followed by...what a wonderful choice madam, oh that's very sensible of you etc.

English call centres ? well they are hit an miss in their attitude and I so understand that, as I could be an arsey fucker depending on my mood

StealthPolarBear Sat 13-Jan-18 11:14:46

How do I tell?
It didn'tske me feel good, it made me feel as though there were a group of them sniggering as he went further and further with his crap.

LIZS Sat 13-Jan-18 11:17:37

Sounds like call centre patter.

IrkThePurist Sat 13-Jan-18 11:18:20

I don't think you can tell. But you can say 'I prefer plain talking, I don't like flattery'. I cant stand false flattery, it feels like love bombing and makes me wonder if they're trying to get me to join their brainwashing cult.

StealthPolarBear Sat 13-Jan-18 11:22:05

Thank you that would have been sensible. Other than are you taking the piss I didn't know how to raise it, and was still also doing speed checks and looking at the colour of the router.

etap Sat 13-Jan-18 11:22:34

Oh, absolutely. As Patel Kevin rattles through the 112th of his 400 calls for the day, sure him and his minimum wage mates are all having a jolly good laugh in-between not being allowed to go for a piss about calling Miss Barbara T. Paranoid from Woking a "wonderful lady".

StealthPolarBear Sat 13-Jan-18 11:23:04

What the hell are you on about

StealthPolarBear Sat 13-Jan-18 11:24:25

Ahh enough of this

dizzy174 Sat 13-Jan-18 11:25:43

i was once told by a call centre worker that I had a really beautiful name. I hung up lol

MrsJayy Sat 13-Jan-18 11:25:53

It is that fake nicities it makes us uncomfy nobody talks like that except call centres god knows who does their training.

StealthPolarBear Sat 13-Jan-18 11:29:38

Yes. I feel shit and now I feel even shitter. BTW I'm nowhere near sodding Woking. Thanks.

Mummyoflittledragon Sat 13-Jan-18 11:29:39

I think etap is saying they don’t have time to go to the loo. Let alone laugh at their customers. I recently had an issue with an abroad call centre. I asked perhaps 10 times to talk to a native speaker. They simply wouldn’t do it. The person admitted they’d get into big trouble for doing it. Probably sacked. The issue wasn’t with this person but with them but the person before but I was really upset having had my order messed around. And I was getting really riled with the arse licky attitude.

RB68 Sat 13-Jan-18 11:30:13

whereas I got a call about my computer and just said "oh for heavens sake, piss off its saturday morning" no arselickiness in sight sigh

Snowysky20009 Sat 13-Jan-18 11:31:17

Agree with Indian call centres being more like this. I find it hard to know how to respond, them: 'that is a very good choice, wonderful lady', me: 'unmmm thanks, I think...'

I much prefer phoning sky. I know a lot of people don't like them, but I've always found you can have a normal conversation whilst waiting for things to reboot etc. Even if it's as simple as. Me: we don't have problems with the speed even though the kids are on Xbox constantly, sky: sounds like my boyfriend, I bought him x game for Christmas, and he won't get off it. Nothing cringy, just a normal conversation.

But being on hold is my biggest bugbear. Or being told after 45 mins I need contact a different department, but they can't put me through, and then it turns out the number they give me doesn't work.

StealthPolarBear Sat 13-Jan-18 11:32:41

Or ringing tens of times because broadband keeps dying and paying through the nose for the calls

NotACleverName Sat 13-Jan-18 11:33:06

It is that fake nicities it makes us uncomfy nobody talks like that except call centres god knows who does their training.

Trust me, it makes us call centre workers uncomfortable to (at least it does for me anyway). I don't like having to ask customers how they are as I feel it sounds really, I dunno, false. We bloody get marked down for QA if we don't ask though.

StealthPolarBear Sat 13-Jan-18 11:34:36

Do you genuinely say crap like that. If so I feel better and vert sorry for him. Who do they think wants this stuff.

BulletFox Sat 13-Jan-18 11:34:50

TBH when this happens I get effusive back.

So we have a little lurrrve fest of a phone call with everyone cooing sweetly at each other smile Oh it's so real, innit

StealthPolarBear Sat 13-Jan-18 11:35:20

And out of interest do you call male customers "you wonderful man"?

StealthPolarBear Sat 13-Jan-18 11:35:30

And out of interest do you call male customers "you wonderful man"?

StealthPolarBear Sat 13-Jan-18 11:37:54

I've called this call centre plenty of times before and am used to the "please be reassured I will fix it" (they didn't) and the "do NOT worry I will not rest until we have resolved" this tye crap but this is the first time I've been asked to note how wonderful I am.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: