Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to ask that you don’t speed up.

(13 Posts)
Nottheduchessofcambridge Sat 13-Jan-18 10:43:24

If you are trundling along at 40mph in a 60 zone and I go to overtake you, why on earth would you speed up to stop me? I actually would love for you to travel at (or even just under) the limit, that would mean I wouldn’t be tempted to overtake, but don’t decide to do that as I’m overtaking. It’s not funny to then have to make the decision to either slam on and pull back in behind or try to go even faster to get in front. It is dangerous.

duckdarlington Sat 13-Jan-18 10:48:58

General rule I never bother overtaking. Its way too dangerous as so many idiots play that trick, do you want to be stuck on the wrong side of the road as a car comes from the opposite direction maybe 60+?

M00nUnit Sat 13-Jan-18 11:00:02

You're right, it's very dangerous to speed up when someone overtakes you and it goes against the Highway Code.

M00nUnit Sat 13-Jan-18 11:02:27

Actually I remember a post on here not so long ago by a someone who caused a collision by doing exactly that. She saw the accident in her mirrors if I recall correctly but didn't stop.

44PumpLane Sat 13-Jan-18 11:02:44

YANBU it's a dick move and incredibly dangerous on their part.

Nottheduchessofcambridge Sat 13-Jan-18 11:04:47

It’s so scary. Happened this morning, I’d been pootling along behind this car who had shown no interest in going over 40. When we came to a nice clear stretch of road he/she suddenly became Nigel Mansel (showing my age) as I indicted to go round!

bridgetreilly Sat 13-Jan-18 11:04:59

I generally slow down a bit if someone is overtaking me.

greenmagpie Sat 13-Jan-18 11:05:22

It's dangerous. I also had someone in front of me in the overtaking lane (so couldn't overtake) travelling about 20 under the limit who kept braking and gave me the finger in the rear view mirror. Not sure what's wrong with ppl.

AlChris Sat 13-Jan-18 11:08:58

I really don’t understand the mentality of people who do that.

I’m not talking about people who aggressively overtake. I’m talking about the situation like I found myself in a while back.

Driving along a drive-restricted road at about 55. Caught up to a driver doing 30mph. I stayed behind for some time at a respectful distance but he got even slower. We were down to about 20 at one stage. As soon as the road was clear I went to overtake him and he literally must have put his foot to the floor and by the time I managed to get past him I was doing about 70.

He could have killed us all and any oncoming traffic just for the sake of being a wanker.

I was so shaken I didn’t think to get his registration until afterwards.

Xmaspuddingdisaster Sat 13-Jan-18 11:12:32

I sometimes think it kind of jerks them awake and they realise they are going slowly, so start to drive faster. I hate being expected to drive quickly on very bendy roads so do tend to do about 45 when I know others would do 60, and then I can speed up on straight bits - but I wouldn’t speed up if someone was wanting past, I’d slow down instead.

VinoTime Sat 13-Jan-18 11:19:09

The only time I overtake is on a motorway or dual carriageway. Just not worth the risk otherwise. I'll get there when I get there. I live in an area with surrounding country style roads - very twisty with sharp bends and a lot of blind spots, etc. People who don't know the roads will often play it safe and go well under the speed limit, which is a limit, not a target. Knowing the roads as well as I do, I completely understand the need to do this. They can be very dangerous roads to travel and I've seen many accidents happen on them.

But YANBU, OP. Nobody should be speeding up while someone is trying to overtake them. It's cunty and increases the risk of accidents.

BluebellTheDonkey Sat 13-Jan-18 11:25:44

I remember reading a thread on here a while back about a woman who had been driving on a stretch of motorway and a male driver kept on deliberately slowing down in front of her. When she went to overtake, he deliberately sped up. This kept happening throughout the journey. She was asking advice about what she could have done as it was a long journey and she didn't want to have to stop.
There are some complete wankers out there on the roads.

RB68 Sat 13-Jan-18 11:33:12

It is dangerous driving and if evidenced will be prosecuted, evidence does however mean dashcam or witnessed by a copper

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: