Talk

Advanced search

Bloody lowlife!!

(54 Posts)
Soubriquet Sat 13-Jan-18 08:28:45

Someone came in to my garden at some point in the night and stole my dh's bike.

I noticed it when I got up to go to the toilet at 1.30 this morning.

He uses that bike to go to and from work.

Just so pissed off that people out there can't be bothered to do things right and steal from others.

On another note....my dog?! The one who barks at a butterfly farting 3 countries away? Slept through the entire thing.. hmm

I have called the police but they have said the chances of it being recovered are slim.

We can't afford another bike yet..means he is going to have to walk. The 10 minute bike ride is now 30-40 minute walk. Fan-bloody-tastic.

Sorry just needed to rant

Bubba1234 Sat 13-Jan-18 08:31:12

Lesson learned keep the bike inside the house

peachypetite Sat 13-Jan-18 08:32:07

Did it have any security features or just left in the garden ?

YouTheCat Sat 13-Jan-18 08:33:09

Can you claim on insurance?

outofmydepth45 Sat 13-Jan-18 08:33:57

People shouldn't be helping themselves to stuff out of OPs garden ! Blame the thief.

anyoldname76 Sat 13-Jan-18 08:34:27

have a look at your local free pages or sales pages on fb for another, keep the bike in the house when you get one

PhatSlag Sat 13-Jan-18 08:35:37

That’s shit OP.

DD had her brand new Maxi scooter stolen from outside our house just after her birthday. Had her name written all over it but people don’t care.
I didnt know she’d left it outside when we came home and when I realised it had already gone and I live in a ‘nice’ area but there’s arseholes everywhere.

My friend walked home with her baby, got to her front door and took her baby inside, went back for the buggy and it had been nicked.
I don’t leave anything unattended now or not locked away.

Was the bike marked with Smartwater?

QuiteLikely5 Sat 13-Jan-18 08:35:39

Check your local gumtree for a new cheap bike.

Then chain it up when not in use

GreatDuckCookery Sat 13-Jan-18 08:39:17

What is secure OP?

kaytee87 Sat 13-Jan-18 08:41:50

That's awful op.

Keep the next one in the kitchen as they might come back.

Soubriquet Sat 13-Jan-18 08:42:15

It was secure yep. I've posted all over fb hoping someone can help but I get it's probably lost now

GreatDuckCookery Sat 13-Jan-18 08:45:26

Could you claim on your home insurance?

flumpybear Sat 13-Jan-18 08:47:39

Rubbish!! People are shitty I had my bike stolen after it was only just put together (spare parts bike but I was a student and really needed a bike) bastards broke into our garden shed and stole it ...

Can you see if there's one in a upcycle type site or cheap on eBay?

jaseyraex Sat 13-Jan-18 08:48:09

That sucks OP. Keep an eye on local selling sites and gumtree in case anyone tries to flog it! We keep my DH bike chained up in the shed and the shed locked now for this reason. We live in a nice area but there are twats everywhere unfortunately!

coursedarlin Sat 13-Jan-18 08:48:46

My parents were burgled just before Xmas and other than the obvious sentimental jewellery and Xmas presents the scum even took the baby buggy out of the garage. Makes you sick that people can stoop so low.
Last week someone locally broke into someone’s house and took a wheelchair. What is wrong with some people?

Soubriquet Sat 13-Jan-18 08:51:23

No house insurance. can't afford to at the moment

grafittiartist Sat 13-Jan-18 08:53:02

Not your fault! I hate it when people are blamed for not looking after something properly- it was your bike- not something for anyone else to take. Their fault. Sorry for this op - I'd be really fed up. Spread the word- it may show somewhere?

watchingthedetectives Sat 13-Jan-18 08:57:13

Look on gum tree for a cheap bike but also your DHs bike!

My DH had a bike stolen - police found it on Gum tree and arrested the seller (he had a stash of other bikes as well)

Rudgie47 Sat 13-Jan-18 08:58:37

Sorry about that but you cant keep bikes in the garden,shed or garage if they are of any value at all.They will be stolen eventually.
Put an add on freecycle and see if your husband can get a free one.

c75kp0r Sat 13-Jan-18 08:59:41

Chaining it delays them, but unfortunately if they have cutters and can keep out of site while they do it, most bike locks can be smashed or cut through.

ParadiseCity Sat 13-Jan-18 09:01:08

Theiving bloody bastards. I hope they fall off it into a pile of dog shit. Also hope you can find a cheap replacement.

ilovesooty Sat 13-Jan-18 09:03:22

Victim blaming. hmm

So sorry this has happened to you.

PricklyBall Sat 13-Jan-18 09:05:11

Some police forces auction off unclaimed stolen bikes after a certain period of time - this can be the cheapest way of replacing a stolen bike (I had two - locked - bikes stolen within 6 months when I was a student).

WingsOnMyBoots Sat 13-Jan-18 09:08:21

That's crap. I hope you get a replacement soon.

Soubriquet Sat 13-Jan-18 09:12:04

Thanks. I have been looking on the selling sites, but never thought of gumtree and preloved so will keep an eye on them too.

Made sure it was posted on my local spotted page too.

He gets paid next week so hopefully should be able to find a cheap second hand bike.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now