Talk

Advanced search

To be annoyed with Aldi meat label?

(50 Posts)
landgirl1 Sat 13-Jan-18 06:54:38

Just got a pork joint out of the freezer to defrost for tonight, slid off the outer sleeve & found this anti meat label on it. It’s well packed, air tight, sealed but I am furious. I don’t lecture veggies buying palm oil on how they are destroying the orangutan’s rain forest?

araiwa Sat 13-Jan-18 07:00:03

I would have laughed and laughed again when i ate it

CaoNiMa Sat 13-Jan-18 07:00:45

Missing the point here but I'm actually fascinated to know how that managed to happen. At what point in the meat packaging process. Stealth activism. I can't say I don't like it'

endofacentury Sat 13-Jan-18 07:02:21

That's amazing

VivaLeBeaver Sat 13-Jan-18 07:03:14

I’m guessing it’s not a label which Aldi have authorised! grin

Wonder if people stalk supermarkets slapping these labels on?

FuckyNellYaBastad Sat 13-Jan-18 07:08:39

Oh Gary grin

BikeRunSki Sat 13-Jan-18 07:11:12

A lot of veggies avoid palm oil too, and are generally widely aware of the impact and issues around food production.

LunarGirl Sat 13-Jan-18 07:12:48

I sat down on the bus the other day with one stuck on the glass in front of me. It said something along the lines of "you wanted to find dory, wanted Bambi's mum to live, wanted the chickens to run (or some such bollocks) so why do you eat the very creatures you want to save"
Did make me chuckle, I doubt a cartoon fish tastes quite as good as the salmon I've got in my fridge.

MsHopey Sat 13-Jan-18 07:13:45

I worked in Aldi for 2 years and do my weekly shop there now and buy quite a few meat products, I've never seen this label before.
I also agree it's a stealth vegetarian planting them on products.
Why would also argue with you buying their products?

SerendipityFelix Sat 13-Jan-18 07:14:21

Ooh sneak veggie activism, I actually quite admire the gall. Wonder if it was someone walking into Aldi and guerilla-stickering things on the shelf, or if they have someone on the inside stickering packs at source?

Anyway, I don’t get your annoyance. If you’re happy eating meat, then why would this bother you. You simply disagree. Same as if I receive a proselytising religious leaflet as an atheist, it doesn’t annoy me, I just pay it no attention as its irrelevant to me. If you have no problem eating meat, then the message on that sticker is irrelevant to you so why is it annoying? The person who put it there believes in their cause strongly enough to try and spread their message, you don’t agree so just ignore it.

If you’re really annoyed (and your retort about palm oil does sound like it’s touched a nerve), then why? You feel defensive? Why? Then the protest is doing its job in just getting you to think about your choice to eat meat and where you source it from. Just by posting it in here you’ve furthered the protester’s cause by spreading their message. They’ve invoked a response, so it’s working. You have to admire the gumption!

On a more practical note, let Aldi know. I expect they won’t be happy about it. I’d tweet them about it, usually a good way to get a quick response.

landgirl1 Sat 13-Jan-18 07:15:06

The meat is in a sealed tray with a loose outer sleeve that you can see to the left of my pic. It wouldn’t be hard to slide it, add sticker & put back but I was a bit hmm would staff not have noticed someone stocking labels on?
Anyway meal planning for bacon on everything for the foreseeable future

Banananananananaaaa Sat 13-Jan-18 07:16:09

I can't feel outraged by this. Just quite in awe of whoever managed to sneak this label on to the meat. I'm a veggie though. Who doesn't eat palm oil.

FuckyNellYaBastad Sat 13-Jan-18 07:16:40

That Gary has been banned from ever entering the uk

Swatsup Sat 13-Jan-18 07:20:34

Kinda scary that they could get away with sticking labels on.
Brilliant though!

landgirl1 Sat 13-Jan-18 07:20:36

Not at all defensive! Just used palm oil as an example, shall we switch to soya instead? I think you missed the point that I was annoyed that someone was trying to force their life style choice on me when I wouldn’t dream of interfering in theirs

HotelEuphoria Sat 13-Jan-18 07:23:42

It looks like one if the special joints too aimed at the Christmas market. Probably hoped it would spoil your Christmas.

SerendipityFelix Sat 13-Jan-18 07:23:48

I don’t think it was Gary putting the stickers on grin

He is a controversial figure, and I don’t support him, but his lifetime ban on entering the UK is ridiculous. He’s never even been here or tried to come here AFAIK, and people who have committed far worse crimes and hold far worse views are allowed to come here.

LouseHouse Sat 13-Jan-18 07:24:14

I once had a message from God in the pocket of a dress I bought from Sainsbury's grin

SerendipityFelix Sat 13-Jan-18 07:31:19

They’re not trying to force their lifestyle choice on you, don’t be ridiculous. They’re campaigning. They believe strongly in something. They’re not forcing anything. You have a right to simply disagree, and just move on with your life.

The fact that it moves you to annoyance enough to post here - the campaign is doing its job, I’d say.

pinkmagic1 Sat 13-Jan-18 07:38:40

Lol! I imagine some militant vegie/vegan has stuck it on in the shop, I saw a similar one in Tesco a few years ago.

MsHopey Sat 13-Jan-18 07:40:28

With how busy aldi staff are, I'm pretty sure no one would have noticed someone sticking the stickers on tbh.

PoorYorick Sat 13-Jan-18 07:43:15

I'm impressed. I do my best to avoid palm oil.

DGRossetti Sat 13-Jan-18 07:44:27

Sounds like a minor act of dissent ... like going into a bookshop and moving Tony Blairs autobiography into the "true crime" section.

Bridget Christie throws lads mags in the bin in shops where they are inappropriately shown

Similarly, after a shop worker couldn’t figure out why having naked lady magazines on the bottom shelf next to Dora the Explorer magazines where her kids could see them was a problem, Christie has since been going into shops and throwing away the lads magazines.

landgirl1 Sat 13-Jan-18 07:49:04

Ok back on topic! From a good hygiene point I was also annoyed that the food may have been contaminated in some way like when all sauce jars had to have the pop up button

afreshnewname Sat 13-Jan-18 07:50:34

There's one of those stickers in the toilets in work, along the lines of 'you say you don't agree with cruelty to animals but how do you think they are killed for you to eat, tickled to death?'
Makes me laugh every time I go for a wee picturing someone tickling a chicken

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now