Talk

Advanced search

I am supposed to be going on a hen do in a minute but not sure WTD

(20 Posts)
HTKB Sat 13-Jan-18 06:06:42

Lovely friend who i adore but don't see much of. The hen do is 3 hours drive away. Last night i was supposed to drive half way and stay with MIL but felt nauseous all afternoon and was sick about 1730.

However (TMI) i can.make myself sick if I move my tongue in a certain way. I have only ever tried it when really nauseous, so not sure whether it would work if I wasn't nauseous. Anyway, i did it on this occasion and "made" myself sick, so i am unsure whether i would have been sick without doing it.

At 730 i started to feel feverish and shivery, and went to bed.

At 4am my toddler woke up crying. I ended up bringing him into bed with me until just now. Still felt nauseous. Just put him back into his cot and i now feel OK and possibly even peckish.

SO... In light of the above, do I get up and drive three hours to the hen do? It's an overnight stay. My concerns are obviously passing something on, and also having been awake since 4 (although good sleep prior to that).
Just can't decide......

HaudYerWheeshtBawbag Sat 13-Jan-18 06:08:52

Why did you make yourself sick confused

OwlinaTree Sat 13-Jan-18 06:09:16

If you feel OK then go. Are you staying in a hotel? You might get chance for an afternoon nap!

HTKB Sat 13-Jan-18 06:10:37

Because i felt incredibly nauseous and thought it might help.

onemorecupofcoffeefortheroad Sat 13-Jan-18 06:12:30

Tricky. I'd see how I felt in a couple of hours. But I'd also text the bride in the meantime to explain and say if she rather I stayed away and not risk her and the other hens possibly catching my germs I'd leave it. There is something pretty horrible going around at the moment.
Hope you feel better soon.

allthegoodusernameshavegone Sat 13-Jan-18 06:14:41

I wouldn’t go, but I hate hen dos

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sat 13-Jan-18 06:17:36

I’d put the facts to the bride and go by her decision.

Fionne Sat 13-Jan-18 06:20:34

Its a hen do, nothing else. Take all the angst out of it and stay home. You'll be glad you did. It will be like get out of jail free card.

HollyBollyBooBoo Sat 13-Jan-18 06:20:50

No, you'll be knackered, have a shit time and share germs! Stay at home, get some rest and get better x

EasterRobin Sat 13-Jan-18 06:20:51

No. You are unwell. Don't go.

AlmostAJillSandwich Sat 13-Jan-18 06:24:22

How far off is the wedding? It wouldn't be fair to risk making the bride and bridal party ill if the wedding is within the next week or two, it could seriously affect the day and peoples enjoyment.

Feeling nauseous, shivery and feverish, is undoubtedly something more than just something you ate disagreeing with you, especially as it developed/continued after being sick. are any of the other members immunosurpessed or have family who are? I don't think it would be fair for you to go unless every member of the hen party are aware of you being ill and ok with you attending.

Pluckedpencil Sat 13-Jan-18 06:25:46

I reckon if you felt Ill enough to go to bed and sleep at 7,30, you have an illness which is probably either contagious or may come back again later. I would dodge the hen do. You need to be in top form for something like that.

DancesWithOtters Sat 13-Jan-18 06:26:24

Are you anxious about the hen do? Anxiety can make you nauseous.

HTKB Sat 13-Jan-18 06:28:59

Thanks guys. Looks like most of you think.I should dodge it. Toddler had a sickness thin on Monday so it is probably that.

I will give it half an hour and text the bride and see what she thinks.

HTKB Sat 13-Jan-18 06:29:51

Also meant to say no, i am not anxious about it, i was really looking forward to it.

AnotherEmma Sat 13-Jan-18 06:31:25

Don’t go to the hen do. It sounds as if you’re ill and it would be really shit to pass it on to everyone else. And don’t make the bride decide for you either. You know how ill you are, she doesn’t. Just send her a message with your apologies and let her enjoy the hen do without having to micromanage all the decisions.

Maybe when you’re feeling better you could arrange to meet up and do something to make up for missing it.

Mummyoflittledragon Sat 13-Jan-18 07:05:49

Don’t go. You could be passing it on to people who either have health problems or people they know with health problems. Vomiting induces a seizure with my dd. It’s cardiolgical not epileptic. Her heart stops beating so she drops to the ground ‘dead’. It’s not like a faint and the fall can injure her, she’s already been taken to hospital in an ambulance. Apart from the seizures she’s s perfectly healthy child and your never know. I pass out with vomiting bugs and now I’m chronically ill I could end up hospitalised.

HTKB Sat 13-Jan-18 10:41:42

Thanks AnotherEmma..... That was good advice and chimed with my instinct. All cancelled and I am off back to bed x

AnotherEmma Sat 13-Jan-18 16:38:40

You’re welcome, glad you decided to stay home and hope you feel better soon.

blackberryfairy Sat 13-Jan-18 16:41:06

Very glad to read your updates, agree you definitely shouldn't go and in these circumstances is always better to make your own decision rather than putting the onus on the host. Get well soon smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now