Talk

Advanced search

Parking and hidden disabilities

(5 Posts)
Reallycantbebothered Fri 12-Jan-18 22:30:33

To think this need more discussion www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jan/11/disabilities-are-not-always-obvious-dont-judge-us-without-knowing-the-full-story?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
Having recently been diagnosed with an autoimmune illness ( vasculitis) I do not 'look' disabled but there are days when I can hardly move and even standing/ walking is agony yet my friends think I must be over exaggerating

elliejjtiny Fri 12-Jan-18 22:41:27

Yes. I have disabled DC, some disabilities are hidden and some not. I have family members who think I'm exaggerating or playing the system or I just couldn't be bothered to teach them how to ride bikes.

Idontdowindows Fri 12-Jan-18 23:24:46

Same here, my disabilities are invisible and people sometimes even question the fact that I'm on disability because "you don't look sick".

Yeah, no, I'm not on the blooming opioids for the fun of it.

elliejjtiny Sat 13-Jan-18 12:09:31

Yes and I have had a few comments about how if my 9 year old who has SPD was theirs he wouldn't behave like he does and I'm overindulging him and my 11 year old who has aspergers syndrome. Apparently I should treat them as if they didn't have those conditions and they will miraculously be cured.

MakeMisogynyAHateCrime Sat 13-Jan-18 12:40:48

Same for disabled toilets.
There needs to be far more mainstream awareness of invisible disabilities.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: