Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think Boden's models are too thin!

(257 Posts)
trippingup Thu 11-Jan-18 14:56:41

Just that really... I've made a complaint about this image. It was served to me as a Facebook advert and it just really got to me.

www.boden.co.uk/en-gb/womens-dresses/smart-day-dresses/j0141-pnk/womens-sweet-william-harley-textured-dress

DisabledUserName Thu 11-Jan-18 14:58:24

They are slim but have seen people who are thinner.
They look healthy. I hate bodyshaming women for how they look.

SilverySurfer Thu 11-Jan-18 14:59:11

I personally don't see a problem with the model. Yes she is slim but so are a lot of people.

HarrietKettleWasHere Thu 11-Jan-18 14:59:24

Is that the only example?

She looks slim. She looks like she could model for a living confused

Kelsoooo Thu 11-Jan-18 15:00:20

Looks perfectly normal to me.

I think we're too accustomed to seeing overweight people as a general rule.

I'd hazard a guess at that model being an 8/10 and about 5ft8.

GlitterUnicornsAndAllThatJazz Thu 11-Jan-18 15:01:30

WTF? She's not thin. She looks like a normal slim woman. Sorry OP.

Mominatrix Thu 11-Jan-18 15:01:50

Not too thin - just tall and slim. I know many people with the same build.

yrhengi Thu 11-Jan-18 15:01:52

I think the angle of the bag is making her look thinner than she is, and she's probably a tall size 8 so not unusually thin.... but I rarely buy anything from Boden and nothing at all from Baukjen because even with my vivid imagination, it's hard to transpose the hang of clothes from the size 8 model to my size 14 reality. If I saw someone my size looking fabulous in a Boden dress, I'd buy it immediately.

One thing you have to hand M&S is that they do use a few more average size models on their website.

Howsthings1234 Thu 11-Jan-18 15:02:11

I have written to Boden before about this very issue. I find it stops me buying their clothes even though they go up to larger sizes. I never got a response.

For me it's not just they fact they are thin it's how tall they look. I find it really off putting as I can envisage their clothes on any one shorter or curvier.

I think they they should vary the models they use or go for someone a little more 'average' size. I feel that everything else about the way they present themselves is more for family audience so seems very odd to me that they use supermodel style bodies to showcase their clothes.

As a result I buy my daughters clothes but not my own even though they are in my budget and technically would be my size and style. Very frustrating.

I was disappointed they never responded to my email.

StripySocksAndDocs Thu 11-Jan-18 15:02:49

No. Not even slightly. Is it the right picture?

OliviaMansfield Thu 11-Jan-18 15:02:52

Looks fine to me

Backingvocals Thu 11-Jan-18 15:03:08

That one doesn’t particularly strike me but they do overuse v thin models and also are terrible at photoshop. Whoever does it has a particular problem with arms wrists and hands - second pic.
m.boden.co.uk/en-gb/womens-tops-t-shirts/sleeveless-tops/j0123-pnk/womens-carnival-pink-essential-vest

theredjellybean Thu 11-Jan-18 15:03:55

Interesting... I don't think she is 'too slim' and how would we define that anyway.
However in this new spring collection brochure and online I thought a few models were either wearing clothes too big for them or the models were slimmer than normal for boden as some pictures the clothes didn't look good, too big, not filled out in the bust etc.
Seemed mostly with the dresses.
The pic the op posted is an example, the bodice should fit snuggly it's a tailored shape but it doesn't on the model

StripySocksAndDocs Thu 11-Jan-18 15:05:23

What bag @yrhengi?

Are we viewing the same picture?

yrhengi Thu 11-Jan-18 15:05:49

I can't remember who tweeted it but I laughed at the montage of 'hopeless Boden woman' this week - pic after pic after pic of fey woman covering her face in helpless laughter at some 'Oops, silly old me!' self-deprecation.

Backingvocals Thu 11-Jan-18 15:05:53

Second pic here too why aren’t women allowed forearms and wrists to match their frame

m.boden.co.uk/en-gb/womens-tops-t-shirts/3_4-sleeved-tops/j0116-blu/womens-hazy-blue-the-cotton-henley-tee

Bluntness100 Thu 11-Jan-18 15:06:11

Oh god, did you write and complain? She's very likely within normal bmi. Slim yes but definetly not too thin. I think you're View of what's normal is skewed somewhat. There's nothing wrong with that woman.

yrhengi Thu 11-Jan-18 15:06:50

Stripysocks she's got a dark navy shoulder bag over her right shoulder which is covering her waist and making it look a bit thinner than it probably is. The pink dress, right?

Pickleypickles Thu 11-Jan-18 15:06:57

backingvocals that is hilarious! How did they not notice that? 😂

Bluntness100 Thu 11-Jan-18 15:07:28

Backing vocals, I can't see any second pic on any of the links you are posting. confused

DeStijl Thu 11-Jan-18 15:07:53

hmm our idea of a normal healthy body has got so warped because we're used to overweight being normal.. They look fine. Slim and healthy. Can't believe you'd complain about that.

theredjellybean Thu 11-Jan-18 15:08:20

How's things... That's a shame as a lot of their clothes work well on all sizes.
I have been a size 18 with enormous boobs and now a size 12 with different cups... And Boden always looked good through my transformation.
Clearly they are popular at both ends of size spectrum as the tiny sizes and bigger sizes seem to often sell out quicker than the average 12.
If you look at the reviews they do seem to have a loyalty among size 16+ and size 8...

DecoysBitch Thu 11-Jan-18 15:08:31

If you view the different colours- one has a bag, but really I don't think the models are too thin at all, very normal. Probably 8-10?

Crunchymum Thu 11-Jan-18 15:09:08

Can't tell if the model is slim or not, she seems to be wearing a tent? grin

Annabelle4 Thu 11-Jan-18 15:09:38

She looks perfectly normal and healthy to me confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now