Talk

Advanced search

To ask if you have a matress topper?

(42 Posts)
Felixandtheflippers Mon 08-Jan-18 19:04:32

I have a new (ish) matress. Paid a lot of money for it but a year later and I think it is the most uncomfortable thing going! I can’t afford to get a new matress so was wondering if matress toppers actually work- are they worth the money? And can anyone recommend a good one?

llmb Mon 08-Jan-18 19:05:29

I had the exact same problem. I just can’t remember the topper I got, I think it was an argos one and it definitely helped and a lot cheaper than buying a new mattress!

AnyFucker Mon 08-Jan-18 19:06:35

Yes, and I love it

IrkThePurist Mon 08-Jan-18 19:06:37

Does anyone know if you can you use an electric blanket with a topper?

minionsrule Mon 08-Jan-18 19:07:08

Oh yes a good quality one does work. We got ours from Dunelm Mill.... worthwhile spending a bit nore to get a half decent one

FlowerPotMum Mon 08-Jan-18 19:07:43

We have a teddy bear topper from Dunelm. It's so lovely, we can't use our electric blanket with it though.

Parker231 Mon 08-Jan-18 19:07:48

I got ours from John Lewis - they have made a huge difference to the bed and the quality of sleep! We were the same - new very expensive bed which turned out to be uncomfortable.

bridgetreilly Mon 08-Jan-18 19:08:33

I just replaced my mattress topper a month ago. Makes it feel like a new bed! Try Homesense or TKMaxx for really good quality ones, which are worth the money, in my experience.

BeyondThePage Mon 08-Jan-18 19:08:50

We have - we got one of these :

www.scottsofstow.co.uk/sos/bedroom/mattress-toppers-and-protectors/mattress-toppers/luxury-5-loft-mattress-topper-king when they were in the sale - (they have a sale every month or so!) It is lovvvvvvvvely....

PickAChew Mon 08-Jan-18 19:09:58

Yes, I have a memory foam one on s mattress that turned out to be not just firm, as it appeared in the shop, but rock hard. Makes a huge difference.

Badbadtromance Mon 08-Jan-18 19:12:16

I've got an Aldi one. Currently sitting on it. So much better. Mines memory foam

AnyFucker Mon 08-Jan-18 19:13:06

We still use an electric blanket with ours

BunsOfAnarchy Mon 08-Jan-18 19:18:50

Yes. Do it. Worth the money. And youll be more comfortable.Get a protector too while you're at it.

Ansumpasty Mon 08-Jan-18 19:19:44

Definitely! We have one from Ikea. So, so worth it

BobbinThreadbare123 Mon 08-Jan-18 19:21:47

Yes, just a simple one from Dunelm. It has made a lot of difference.

Felixandtheflippers Mon 08-Jan-18 19:28:09

Thank-you everyone. Off to google dunelm mill now. Thanks for the link too Beyond- quite expensive but will keep an eye on it for sale prices!

Somerford Mon 08-Jan-18 19:29:07

I have one, definitely worth it

Felixandtheflippers Mon 08-Jan-18 19:31:37

Flowerpot- is the teddy bear one soft? I would like something softer than my matress (which feels like I’m lying on a wooden board!)

5BlueHydrangea Mon 08-Jan-18 20:13:24

I have one. Our mattress/bed is really old - like 20 years!! I developed a pain in my hip, had it for months, had an x-ray and everything but no answer. Got a mattress topper and it went away!
This was about 2 years ago. Still have the same bed.. We do use our electric blanket with it too. Can't remember where it came from but wasn't particularly expensive as supposed to be a temporary solution..

5BlueHydrangea Mon 08-Jan-18 20:14:39

On that note, where do all these horrible beds come from that you all have? When we eventually get round to replacing ours I need to know what to avoid! I have a bad back too so would like it quite firm.

tinkerbellone Mon 08-Jan-18 20:15:45

Yes. I love it. Memory foam like an egg box pointy pattern- from Argos. The best one ever.
My BF has same problem as you OP, so he brought a different memory foam topper to me - it was flat memory foam and it just felt uncomfortable.

My bed feels amazing now smile

jo10000 Mon 08-Jan-18 20:29:30

Same here a few years ago, got my topper off Tesco direct using club points. Re the hard bed issue when buying new - the one we tried in the showroom was fine but I realised later it had been tried out loads and had more give in it. I went back to check and it was as we remembered, just nothing like the one we got! Topper definitely helped.

Felixandtheflippers Tue 09-Jan-18 10:07:21

Thanks all- 5blue- hip pain is my problem at the minute- it’s constant. I think the problem when getting my matress was that I let my husband choose! He and I have very different tastes when it comes to comfort. Tinker- do you and your boyfriend sleep in the same bed? With different toppers? Do they not get tangled during the night? I have been trying to sleep with a duvet under my side of the bed but it moves around during the night and becomes very uncomfortable. A matress topper on my side only would be a great solution!

TheVanguardSix Tue 09-Jan-18 10:11:05

I have a mattress topper (either Amazon or John Lewis- can't remember) and an electric mattress warmer on top of this. Fabulous! I get a lot of lupus joint aches and it's been life changing for me.

Newyearnewyew Tue 09-Jan-18 10:17:02

Yes!and it's filthy and I stained but our mattress is pristine.
Feather topper really comfortable but memory foam brilliant as well. I would get one even if mattress didn't need it m

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: