Talk

Advanced search

to wonder if people realise what is happening in Iran?

(11 Posts)
killforcarrots Tue 02-Jan-18 22:10:14

I can't find anything on MN about the protests in Iran. Do people actually realise what is happening and how the Mullahs are suppressing womens rights and that many protesters have been killed in the last few days? Where are the pussy hats and the marches for solidarity against these theocrats and in support of Iranian women and their rights!? So depressing.

kaytee87 Tue 02-Jan-18 22:11:58

It's awful, Iran has gone completely backwards in the last 40 years.
Such a rich history and heritage as well.

MissEliza Tue 02-Jan-18 22:14:00

It's awful. I know very little about Iran but I suspect the state is strong enough to stand up to these protests. I also think it's bad news for Nazanin Radcliffe as the Iranian government are likely to take a more hardline stance.

chantico Thu 04-Jan-18 12:40:27

It doesn't look as if there is much interest.

(Tempted to lament how ''twas all fields" but that's probably a bit too sweeping for a reduction in breadth of discussion of current affairs)

BayLeaves Thu 04-Jan-18 12:50:15

It’s not very prominent in the news media here, I’ve had to really search to find any info on BBC, Guardian etc.

SilverySurfer Thu 04-Jan-18 13:19:13

I think most people are aware of what is happening in Iran. The point is that there is absolutely nothing you or I or anyone else can do to change it. If you think there is some action that would bring about change, please share it with us?

Newyearnewyew Thu 04-Jan-18 13:22:55

IT has been in the media but I think people are generally very confused about womens rights and islam etc.

On Mathew Wright he was talking about a womans a chess delegation was going to the country and didn't want to wear a veil, Wrights was saying that was wrong and they should respect the countries rules. Its confusing.

But there has been stuff in the media. One hopes they can do something but who knows. Pictures of Iran in the 60's to now...

PerkingFaintly Sat 06-Jan-18 18:05:49

I'm with SilverySurfer. Not a lack of interest here, but a lack of knowing what to do that will be helpful.

giddyupnow Sat 06-Jan-18 19:11:54

Was he really newyear? How rude since it’s not him who has to oppress himself against his own values to fit in. Although wasn’t the chess thing in Saudi?

Lethaldrizzle Sat 06-Jan-18 19:51:30

It was the top story on the uk news for a few days running if that's not prominent enough!

brizzledrizzle Mon 08-Jan-18 13:24:57

I also think it's bad news for Nazanin Radcliffe as the Iranian government are likely to take a more hardline stance.

Sadly I think you are right; it was my first thought when I saw the news about what was happening there.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: