Talk

Advanced search

to tell you all to be aware of flesh-coloured/pink melanomas?

(11 Posts)
Iprefercoffeetotea Tue 19-Dec-17 16:33:48

I think we've all seen the images of typical melanomas - moles that have gone black, have irregular sides etc.

I have had a pink lesion on my arm for some time and should have gone to the doctors sooner, but didn't. Anyway, I went today and am being referred to a dermatologist. I thought it might be a basal cell carcinoma, which would need taking off, but I had a couple of moles removed in my early 20s (not cancerous) and wasn't too concerned.

Anyway, the GP mentioned that melanomas can lack pigment. I had no idea. I don't think many people do. Hopefully mine isn't one, but can I do my bit to raise awareness. If you have a dodgy lesion somewhere and you know it's not a burn or similar, please go to your GP asap. I have sat on mine for several months and feel rather stupid now.

CastielIsMyAngel Tue 19-Dec-17 17:15:00

I didn't know this, thanks for the tip/warning OP. Hope yours turns out to be nothing serious

MrTrebus Tue 19-Dec-17 21:03:53

Bumping for you

AbsentmindedWoman Tue 19-Dec-17 21:06:51

I didn't know this either, thanks for the info. Hope yours isn't anything sinister.

LizzieSiddal Tue 19-Dec-17 21:09:13

Iprefer, thanks for this thread.

If it didn't change colour how did you know to go and get it checked out?

BelfortGabbz Tue 19-Dec-17 21:15:13

Thank you for that info.

TheDowagerCuntess Tue 19-Dec-17 23:30:38

I didn't know this either, and melanoma is a huge problem here.

I mean, maybe I did in a - get any unusual or new mole seen to sort of way - but I probably wouldn't have taken a colourless mole too seriously.

Thank you. And wishing you all the best for a good outcome. thanks

GreenPurpleRed Tue 19-Dec-17 23:36:20

Good luck OP.

I've come home to Australia for Christmas and dh and I have both been to the local skin clinic to get a full body review. It is really important to do this as you can't see what's going on on your back etc.

BigUnicornsDontCry Tue 19-Dec-17 23:37:25

My mum died from amelanotic melanoma.

SadTrombone Thu 21-Dec-17 02:28:52

Best of luck OP.
Bump
flowers

Iprefercoffeetotea Wed 07-Feb-18 16:09:44

Just returning to this to bump it again. The lesion is slightly scaly and pink, but it doesn't look like a mole. I think at first I thought it was a burn or an insect bite.

Anyway, I have seen a consultant, and it is probably a solar/actinic keratosis - it could possibly be a basal cell carcinoma, I've been given a cream that works for both that I have to use for a month and then go back to see a nurse to see if it has worked. So nothing serious. But I urge everyone again - if you have anything weird on your skin, get it checked out and don't think because it's not a mole, that it's not dangerous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now