Talk

Advanced search

to tell you all to be aware of flesh-coloured/pink melanomas?

(11 Posts)
Iprefercoffeetotea Tue 19-Dec-17 16:33:48

I think we've all seen the images of typical melanomas - moles that have gone black, have irregular sides etc.

I have had a pink lesion on my arm for some time and should have gone to the doctors sooner, but didn't. Anyway, I went today and am being referred to a dermatologist. I thought it might be a basal cell carcinoma, which would need taking off, but I had a couple of moles removed in my early 20s (not cancerous) and wasn't too concerned.

Anyway, the GP mentioned that melanomas can lack pigment. I had no idea. I don't think many people do. Hopefully mine isn't one, but can I do my bit to raise awareness. If you have a dodgy lesion somewhere and you know it's not a burn or similar, please go to your GP asap. I have sat on mine for several months and feel rather stupid now.

CastielIsMyAngel Tue 19-Dec-17 17:15:00

I didn't know this, thanks for the tip/warning OP. Hope yours turns out to be nothing serious

MrTrebus Tue 19-Dec-17 21:03:53

Bumping for you

AbsentmindedWoman Tue 19-Dec-17 21:06:51

I didn't know this either, thanks for the info. Hope yours isn't anything sinister.

LizzieSiddal Tue 19-Dec-17 21:09:13

Iprefer, thanks for this thread.

If it didn't change colour how did you know to go and get it checked out?

BelfortGabbz Tue 19-Dec-17 21:15:13

Thank you for that info.

TheDowagerCuntess Tue 19-Dec-17 23:30:38

I didn't know this either, and melanoma is a huge problem here.

I mean, maybe I did in a - get any unusual or new mole seen to sort of way - but I probably wouldn't have taken a colourless mole too seriously.

Thank you. And wishing you all the best for a good outcome. thanks

GreenPurpleRed Tue 19-Dec-17 23:36:20

Good luck OP.

I've come home to Australia for Christmas and dh and I have both been to the local skin clinic to get a full body review. It is really important to do this as you can't see what's going on on your back etc.

BigUnicornsDontCry Tue 19-Dec-17 23:37:25

My mum died from amelanotic melanoma.

SadTrombone Thu 21-Dec-17 02:28:52

Best of luck OP.
Bump
flowers

Iprefercoffeetotea Wed 07-Feb-18 16:09:44

Just returning to this to bump it again. The lesion is slightly scaly and pink, but it doesn't look like a mole. I think at first I thought it was a burn or an insect bite.

Anyway, I have seen a consultant, and it is probably a solar/actinic keratosis - it could possibly be a basal cell carcinoma, I've been given a cream that works for both that I have to use for a month and then go back to see a nurse to see if it has worked. So nothing serious. But I urge everyone again - if you have anything weird on your skin, get it checked out and don't think because it's not a mole, that it's not dangerous.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: