Talk

Advanced search

To be pissed off at being 'just' a nurse?

(614 Posts)
bottleofwater Mon 18-Dec-17 22:45:44

Three times in the last week Ive had different family members making sarky comments regarding some recent achievements & promotion at work.

Usually comments along the lines of "Oh Florence Nightingale you will be telling the Doctors what to do now" " You will be a surgeon in no time" & " What do nurses know about blood pressures, they are not doctors".

Im so fed up of how its like being a nurse is rubbish & that only Doctors are of any value angry

Also comments regarding how I dont make the same amount of money as other family members but thats probably another thread!

Not sure what they think nurses actually do but aibu to be pissed off at the constant sneering at me?

RedHelenB Mon 18-Dec-17 22:47:13

No yanbu but tbf you are able to do less than a Dr. And m9ney is nt everything!

Chocolate254 Mon 18-Dec-17 22:48:08

Yanbu, You are most definately not just a nurse. Ignore them they have tiny brains and big mouths, If only there was a cure..

Nickynackynoodle Mon 18-Dec-17 22:49:23

redhelen hmm your post makes no sense?

OP YANBU. Bunch of dicks.

liz70 Mon 18-Dec-17 22:49:48

If there were only doctors in hospitals we'd all be fucked. Ignore the stupid sods.

PasstheStarmix Mon 18-Dec-17 22:50:27

YANBU I would be so pissed off as well. Nurses do a bloody hard job and shouldn't be the receiver of any derogatory comments. I've met nurses that have been better than the doctors! I'd like to see what the people who are making these rude comments do for their vocation!! Bet they're not bloody rocket scientists that's for sure shock ignorance is bliss I suppose!

Hellohelloheeello Mon 18-Dec-17 22:51:10

Ignore ignore ignore.

Nurses are bloody amazing and everyone knows it. People say similar about teachers, it's ridiculous!

Monoblock67 Mon 18-Dec-17 22:51:43

What an absolute load of bollocks OP. Nurses are far more valuable that their counterparts in so many ways! They know their patients better, they can do so much more than the doctors in many different ways. Nurses are so highly skilled and under appreciated.

Hold your head up high OP, you are doing an amazing job.

RoseWhiteTips Mon 18-Dec-17 22:52:20

But you are “just” a nurse in comparison to doctors. You can’t fight facts.

Monoblock67 Mon 18-Dec-17 22:53:13

Incidentally-the best doctors ive seen have been the ones who did auxiliary work while they were doing their medical training. They were so much nicer and more understanding with their patients than those who hadn’t.

Monoblock67 Mon 18-Dec-17 22:54:08

RoseWhiteTips your comment is derogatory and completely uncalled for. Try and do a nurses shift for one day and even dare to say that again.

RebornSlippy Mon 18-Dec-17 22:54:20

YANBU. Of course nurses have 'value' as you put it. However, being absolutely honest, in my experience, nurses are ultimately guided by doctors' decisions and lack any real autonomy. Is that what they mean when they make the references to you telling doctors what to do? This is the case in many industries and positions however and the sneering you speak of is absolutely out of order. Without nurses, there would be no doing. We need the doers. You are, of course, of value.

The wages... well, it is what it is unfortunately. If it were up to me I'd pay you more, but it isn't. I find myself in a similar bind, albeit with more autonomy and responsibility, for which I feel I am not paid adequately. What to do though?

Start practicing the words "fuck off" on a loop if they start again. And don't let it impact. It's all just stupid, ill informed noise.

1stX Mon 18-Dec-17 22:54:20

Congratulations on your promotion. These people are dickheads. Clearly jealous. Ignore them

PasstheStarmix Mon 18-Dec-17 22:54:21

Pp that comment is unhelpful and not answering what OP is asking. The comments she has been receiving are rude. it's doesn't matter whether you're a nurse or a doctors nobody deserves to be belittled.

PasstheStarmix Mon 18-Dec-17 22:54:39

rose *

Nickynackynoodle Mon 18-Dec-17 22:55:29

WHAt does “just” mean @rosewhite

Are people “just” teachers because they could be doctors? Or “just” scientists because they could be astronauts?

Bizarre attitude. Glad I don’t have to work with you.

PasstheStarmix Mon 18-Dec-17 22:55:40

I'd like to know what your vocation is rose?

RedHelenB Mon 18-Dec-17 22:55:51

No yanbu to resent being referred to as just a nurse BUT drs can do more in the way of procedures, diagnosis prescribing etc. And money is nt everything so don't measure worth by that. Hope this makes more sense Nicky Jacky.

1stX Mon 18-Dec-17 22:56:08

My mum and my aunt have been nurses for nearly 30 years. They’re my heroes. There’s no such thing as ‘Just a nurse’ x

Monoblock67 Mon 18-Dec-17 22:56:49

What is ‘just’ anyway?

For example. Nurses can’t prescribe medications but they’re the ones who notice the doctors errors and get it fixed.

They are on the very front line when it comes to patient care and they’re the first to notice when a patient deteriorates and they’re the ones who save them. I’d rather have one nurse than two doctors looking after me any day.

ReallyConvolutedCareerHistory Mon 18-Dec-17 22:57:04

All I know is that those “just nurses” are the ones with the patients and know more about their patients most of the time!

Nurses are amazing.

flumpybear Mon 18-Dec-17 22:57:55

Completely different job, like comparing apples and pears, throw it back at them in relation to comparing their jobs to something unrelated!
Well done by the way!

liz70 Mon 18-Dec-17 22:58:21

And you are "just" a knob in comparison to reasonable human beings, RWT. You can't fight facts.

Monoblock67 Mon 18-Dec-17 22:58:22

And nurses have no autonomy? What about our very qualified nurses working in community? Or those who work in care homes and have no doctors on site 24/7 and make medical decisions all day every day?

Nickynackynoodle Mon 18-Dec-17 22:58:36

I Think some people’s idea of nursing is trapped in the 1950s.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: