Talk

Advanced search

To ask how big is your house?

(408 Posts)
FGSholdthedoor Mon 18-Dec-17 21:07:14

I'm grateful for what we have but I feel like I'm suffocating day to day.

We have a terraced house consisting of a small kitchen and lounge downstairs, a master bedroom, box room and tiny bathroom upstairs.
There's me, OH, DS (3), newborn DS and DDog.

There's no porch or wide hallways to have extra storage.
You walk straight into the kitchen where all the post and tat gets dumped on the nearest worktop or the table, no room for coat rack so jackets get dumped on the kitchen chairs, lounge has huge toybox as there's no room to keep DSs toys in his bedroom as its so small and now I'm having to figure out how to fit 2 DCs in there. The car seat for DS2 is in the lounge also as there's nowhere else to keep it.

There's clutter everywhere you turn despite trying to keep on top of it and it's a constant cycle of trying to cut down on stuff etc.
It makes me feel really down and I struggle to clear my head, it makes the days with the kids really difficult as sometimes you have to walk over stuff or trip over a bouncer or toy to get to the other side of the room.
I'm dreaming of a nice 3 bedroom house with an open plan kitchen and diner and a nice big lounge, oh and a utility room blush

AIBU to ask how big is your house and if you're happy with it?

Gammeldragz Mon 18-Dec-17 21:10:21

A hell of a lot bigger than the caravans I grew up in...

JoJoSM2 Mon 18-Dec-17 21:11:40

Very big and it’s exac what I wanted wink

Whiterabbitears Mon 18-Dec-17 21:14:02

We are in a 2 bed flat with neighbours above and to the side. We would love a house so you're better off than me.

TeaBelle Mon 18-Dec-17 21:14:07

4 bedrooms but speed over 2 floors which means the footprint of th house is small compared to bedrooms. As such down stairs can feel quite cramped with only a living room and kitchen. Would love a dining room.

TeachesOfPeaches Mon 18-Dec-17 21:15:06

Tiny. I’m in a one bedroom basement flat with my two year old. The kitchen is so small there aren’t any drawers.

Chienrouge Mon 18-Dec-17 21:15:15

4 bedrooms. En suite and family bathroom. Lounge, dining room, playroom, kitchen diner, utility room, hallway and downstairs toilet downstairs.
Very happy with it. We have lived in much smaller places (including a flat with a bedroom, a kitchen/living area and a bathroom) and are relishing the place. Had to move to a much cheaper area to get it though.

Chienrouge Mon 18-Dec-17 21:15:56

Oh and there’s me, DH and two pre school DC’s.

Elledouble Mon 18-Dec-17 21:16:08

Ours sounds similar to yours, although we have a hall and a cupboard under the stairs. It’s beginning to feel a bit too small - our son is a toddler and just got his first single bed and you can hardly turn round in his room now. If we had another child we would have to move.

Lollipop30 Mon 18-Dec-17 21:18:31

Ours sounds like yours and I hate it. I find it claustrophobic and cluttered. We have a third bedroom as well but it’s a box and there’s 4 soon to be 5 of us. We simply don’t fit but are saving like crazy to be able to move

steff13 Mon 18-Dec-17 21:18:40

2000 sq ft. It's 3 bedrooms, 1.5 bath.

unlimiteddilutingjuice Mon 18-Dec-17 21:18:54

Its a 3 bed maisonette. Standard council house sized.
Specifically designed to provide adequate space for the 1960's manual worker and his family.
Sadly inadequate for the amount of clutter DH drags home. The man has an obsession with plant pots and demijohns. I'm fucking drowning in it, I tell you.

Snowbites Mon 18-Dec-17 21:19:21

4 bed detached but is new build so rooms are not big. Nice kitchen diner though which is the best room. For two adults and a toddler, and a scruffy indoor rabbit

Angelicinnocent Mon 18-Dec-17 21:19:33

Kitchen, utility, dining room, lounge, useable hallway and downstairs loo. Upstairs, 3 double bedrooms, 1 single bedroom, bathroom, en-suite and study.

Moved from an old 3 bedroom semi which was smaller but had lots of odd corners and alcoves and I could fit so much more in it.

FaintlyBaffled Mon 18-Dec-17 21:20:24

Two bedroom terraced but it's very old and quirky so not square or in any way practical
I totally get where you're coming from WRT clutter as it seems all consuming, and makes simple things like hoovering the floor into an epic event. We have found over time that clever storage is the answer. Obviously you can't shove your DC into an Ikea storage unit, but the majority of their stuff you can. Utilise space above doors with shelves, and put coat hooks behind doors. Declutter as if your life depended on it, sort your loft out so that it can easily be used to store things you don't use every day but will need to keep and if all else fails, hide it in the back of the car wink

Notcopingverywell1 Mon 18-Dec-17 21:21:11

Sounds similar to yours although we have hallways and a downstairs bathroom.

Due DC2 imminently. It already feels way too small!

BrieAndChilli Mon 18-Dec-17 21:21:16

We have 3 bedrooms - 2 doubles and 1 single. Large bathroom.
Lounge/diner, kitchen with a large walk in pantry cupboard, study and conservatory that serves as a playroom (well more as very large toy storage as too cold to stay out there long in the winter). We also have a small porch for shoes and coats. We don’t however have an attic as it’s a flat roofed house.

Would love another bedroom so the 2 boys didn’t have to share and would love a utility room.

We used to live in a place where the kitchen was under the stairs and so small you could literally touch all the walls at once!

ClementineWardrobe Mon 18-Dec-17 21:21:31

Mine now is big enough for us, but I grew up in a house that was far too small

There were four kids two adults a dog cat and various birds and fish in the small three bed terrace. It was ridiculous. There was never any privacy or space. However there are many more space saving ideas about today, when I think back our house was so badly organised. Have you looked at Pinterest for space saving furniture? Organisation 'hacks'? I hate the word hack but it's the fashionable word on Pinterest....

Sorry you are feeling hemmed in. Is your loft convertible? Even just into a play space? Winter is always worse, no garden to run about in.

Whiterabbitears Mon 18-Dec-17 21:22:43

Snow we have an indoor rabbit, he makes more mess than the kids!

BrizzleDrizzle Mon 18-Dec-17 21:22:46

We have an entrance hall, dining room, lounge, dining kitchen, extra reception room, conservatory and four double bedrooms.

Greyhorses Mon 18-Dec-17 21:23:17

Yours is exactly the same as mine, tiny downstairs with no space or storage at all. We have DS and two german shepherds so everyone is very squashed.

Luckily it's cheap so we are saving to get something bigger one day!

C0untDucku1a Mon 18-Dec-17 21:23:28

1960s three bed semi. Third bedroom is just bearable. One bathroom, conservatory, big garden, three+ car drive. Im
Looking at moving to a four bed purely to get a decent sized third bedroom, as i only have two children.

EverythingEverywhere1234 Mon 18-Dec-17 21:23:32

A fair sized two bedroom cottage. Both bedrooms are big doubles, with a huge bathroom, and while the kitchen is quite long and narrow, the sitting room is a great size. We also have a huge lean-to/conservatory on the back and a porch to the front, perfect for boots (were on a farm). I love it, it's perfect for me, DP and DDog, and hopefully will be just as perfect when we are finally in a position to start ttc.
It's all relative to a point I think. I lived in a static caravan with my ex and this place feels palatial compared, but when I compare it to my family farmhouse, it's simply teeny tiny!

19lottie82 Mon 18-Dec-17 21:23:49

It’s a early 1980s house, was a 2 bed but it was extended before we bought it and had another 2 beds added on. We got it pretty cheap as it’s a little bit out of town and needed cosmetically gutted but I love it

isseywithcats Mon 18-Dec-17 21:23:53

3bed semi detached 30s built so two doublle bedrooms one small single bedroom, one decent sized bathroom, smallish front room long big kitchen diner, myself and OH 2 cats, only thing i dont like is its rented when we buy after his divorce next house will be smaller as all we will be able to afford will be two bedrooms not three

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now