Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to ask you to help me help my baby?

(55 Posts)
sailorcherries Mon 18-Dec-17 20:53:43

He's 7 months old and terribly constipated today. Every poo haa resulted in him crying in pain and ends up being little more than a pebble.
I've done bicycle legs, warm bath and massages to no avail. We have no fruit juices and I can't stand to see him upset anymore.

What can I do? Feel like such a crap mum just now, the poor mite.

Reflexella Mon 18-Dec-17 20:54:49

Sugar water - helped my boy poo.

ForTheLoveOfSleep Mon 18-Dec-17 20:55:28

We always used sugar water for DCs.

Reflexella Mon 18-Dec-17 20:56:09

Boil water & add sugar & cool acts like lactose. There was a similar thread a few days back that may have other tips x

sailorcherries Mon 18-Dec-17 20:56:16

This might be a silly question but just normal sugar mixed with water?

MrTrebus Mon 18-Dec-17 20:57:03

I got something from the chemist, lactolose or something like that? It's for babies and adults and it WORKS. If it's that bad might be time to try something drug related rather than just natural stuff. They'll be a chemist open near you now somewhere so maybe try that if you want to.

Reflexella Mon 18-Dec-17 20:57:04

Yea I think so! Nothing fancy x

sailorcherries Mon 18-Dec-17 20:57:07

Oh thank you I'll search that other thread! It's horrible seeing him in pain.

TeaAndAMarmiteSandwhich Mon 18-Dec-17 21:00:11

Cow and gate (or other brands) Apple and Pear pots did wonders for mine! smile

billabye Mon 18-Dec-17 21:08:27

Ella's pear pouches nearly always did the trick for mine smile

Cheekyandfreaky Mon 18-Dec-17 21:09:40

Puréed pear- every time!

DoJo Mon 18-Dec-17 21:10:13

Glycerine suppositories

selly24 Mon 18-Dec-17 21:11:16

Ellas prune pouch! Sorted!

newmumwithquestions Mon 18-Dec-17 21:12:08

Pear, peaches, peas, prunes.

Just beware the explosion when it all comes out!

shakeyourcaboose Mon 18-Dec-17 21:14:30

Also saying the prune pouch and have lots of wipes to hand!

StrugglingAlbion Mon 18-Dec-17 21:14:41

Yes to the prunes. Also formula from a carton rather than powder, if he takes formula.

TinyTickler Mon 18-Dec-17 21:15:41

Gripe water used to work miracles for my little one.

sailorcherries Mon 18-Dec-17 21:16:38

Thank you. I'll get OH to get a pouch on his way in for breakfast tomorrow.

Talkingfrog Mon 18-Dec-17 21:17:10

My daughter had trouble with constipation but a little older than your baby. The health visitor was less than useless, so went to the hp and got given move old sachets. They draw fluids into the colon to soften the stools.
Try giving some water and the fruits as suggested above and ask at the chemist.

UnicornRainbowColours Mon 18-Dec-17 21:18:09

The Ella’s pouch with prunes always works on my toddler

MonumentalAlabaster Mon 18-Dec-17 21:25:27

Another vote for the prunes! Worked an absolute treat with my babies - you shovel the last spoonful in, stand back and wait for the explosion grin

Runningoutofusernames Mon 18-Dec-17 21:27:18

Also try to make sure he drinks lots of water along with all the fibre, to keep it moving and stop it drying out.

furryelephant Mon 18-Dec-17 21:27:45

Leave his nappy off and put him on new carpet or clothes grin

But yes DD was on lactulose for weeks til we realised 1/3 of a prune pouch did wonders! Learnt the hard way not to give a whole one

BrawneLamia Mon 18-Dec-17 21:28:20

I did pureed prunes when mine had that problem

ElphabaTheGreen Mon 18-Dec-17 21:30:03

Lactulose from the chemist.

Then a few hours later, warm bath, followed by tummy massage (sun and moon, followed by I L U, followed by water falls) then firmly but gently start pushing both knees up to his chest so that his thighs push onto his tummy. Do this a few times like you're pumping slowly, then start pushing his legs firmly and continuously into his chest/tummy for a good 10-15 seconds at a time. He'll probably hate it and cry but that in itself will start the poo moving. Warning: carry out this whole exercise on a towel, preferably in a room where you've had a fan heater running for a while so it's really warm as he'll be nudie.

Used to bloody love unblocking my babies. They screamed blue murder but the sheer quantity of poo I got out of them and the relief they had afterwards was worth it might even have sent a photo of the outcome to DH once

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now