Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to ask for your wine suggestions

(37 Posts)
MyKingdomForACaramel Mon 18-Dec-17 19:40:44

Am going to family for Christmas and wanted to bring a nice selection of wine - I’m on a bit of a budget this year - but appreciate it’s all I’m bringing (I usually host so a few bottles rather than catering for ten is a saving!!)

Anyone seen good bargains for decent wine in the supermarkets?

LittleBirdBlues Mon 18-Dec-17 19:50:56

Aldi or Lidl are your friend here!

How many do you need and what's your total spend? White or all red?

LeeRorr Mon 18-Dec-17 19:54:59

Anything by Barefoot is always a winner, even with my dad who doesn't even like wine.Bottles range from £5.90-£8 depending where you shop.

MyKingdomForACaramel Mon 18-Dec-17 19:57:11

Both! I stood in Lidl last week just baffled - was going to just maybe go by the ratings on the 'special' bit.

Last year was a bit more flush so served up several Sancerre's, Beaujolais, but that's just not going to happen this year - so really want to make sure I get something that's lovely (though of course everyone has different tastes, so it will depend anyway).

StarCutterCookie Mon 18-Dec-17 19:59:06

What's yr budget per bottle? A y hint where to start? White, red, rose, sweet, dry...?

donners312 Mon 18-Dec-17 20:01:32

The "Tourainne" in Aldi is about £5.50 per bottle and is very similar to Sancerre.

lloveroftobleone Mon 18-Dec-17 20:02:29

If you like white, Tesco Finest Picpoul de Pinet is always recommended on mumsnet wine threads and is my favourite. It tastes alot more expensive than it actually costs and is currently on offer for six quid a bottle instead of seven.

MyKingdomForACaramel Mon 18-Dec-17 20:03:09

Hmm ok - well maybe a total budget of £80 - £100 for around 6 bottles I suppose - so perhaps some nicer and some less so. For me - I like very dry whites and full bodied reds - but then I suppose it's not just for me, so a mix. Thankfully don't have to worry about fizz, as DH has a case that was a gift from work.

MikeUniformMike Mon 18-Dec-17 20:03:25

The Toro red wine in Aldi is good.
Winemaker's selection in Sainsbury's or Finest in Tesco is usually a safe bet. They may have a 25% off if you buy 6 bottles.

Victoria Moore in the Daily Telegraph is good. Have a google on 'best budget wines' or 'best wines under £5' or whatever your budget is. Some are perfectly ok. You don't taste it after the first glass anyway. Hic.

SilverySurfer Mon 18-Dec-17 20:06:41

Chateau Neuf du Pape is my favourite red. Not cheap bit always a winner.

positivity123 Mon 18-Dec-17 20:08:00

Tesco finest wines are excellent. Try the Soave Classico, it is really rich without too much acidity so is a great food wine as well.
Also from Tesco is a new wine called Beronia from Puglia. It's is unbelievable. Its full of cherry flavours. Think it's about a tenner a bottle.

arethereanyleftatall Mon 18-Dec-17 20:08:03

With that budget, it's a good budget, I'd go to majestic.

StarCutterCookie Mon 18-Dec-17 20:10:53

Waitrose...

White: Leitz Magdalenenkreuz Riesling Kabinett - £13.99

Red: Chateau Liversan Haut-Medoc 2014 - £10

Online:

Le Volte dell'Ornellaia 2015 - £20

TheFifthKey Mon 18-Dec-17 20:11:08

Have you got time to order a case? You’d get an introductory offer case from any of the online wine sellers like Laithwaite’s etc for that, and it’d be a nice decent mix

MyKingdomForACaramel Mon 18-Dec-17 20:11:30

Frantically scribbling all of these down! The Beronia sounds lovely! (May have to get a test bottle!

CountFosco Mon 18-Dec-17 20:13:24

Agree, go to Majestic. You'll get a better more interesting selection there. Generally you get better value from less famous or fashionable regions, so £8 of wine from Fitou will be better than £8 of wine from Bordeaux.

CountFosco Mon 18-Dec-17 20:15:08

Don't buy from Laithwaites, join the Wine Society and get from them. It's a Co-op and the wines are consistently good across the board.

MyKingdomForACaramel Mon 18-Dec-17 20:19:56

@Donners312 - Really! I've searched high and low for a cheap alternative to Sancerre - I will definitely give that a go!

itsgood2talk Mon 18-Dec-17 20:49:06

Apothic red is a lovely wine and currently on offer in Morrisons for £7

MyKingdomForACaramel Mon 18-Dec-17 20:50:34

Ah you’re all great! So many suggestions that I’m wishing I asked sooner so I could sample one or two wink

Maelstrop Mon 18-Dec-17 20:55:29

Malbec (picture of cowboy in space helmet!) in Asda and Hardy's stamp, 6 for £25, doubt you'll get cheaper. Both are very nice and turning up with a case is always good. Tesco and Saint bury sometimes do 25% off if you buy 6, temporary deals.

Whocansay Mon 18-Dec-17 21:07:15

My favourite inexpensive wine is from Aldi (don't like to say cheap!). It's a sparkling (Cremant du Jura), and is basically Champagne, but from a different part of France, so doesn't get the name. It's lush. It's £8 I think.

Is it for a particular meal? I've found Waitrose / Majestic are very good at pairing wines with food and finding something that suits your palette.

MikeUniformMike Mon 18-Dec-17 21:08:46

Victoria Moore recommended that one I think. Cremant would be a good choice.

FloControl Mon 18-Dec-17 21:18:14

Picpoul De Pinet (a French dry white) is £6.00 in Morrison's just now. It usually costs around £9.00.

Singlebutmarried Mon 18-Dec-17 21:38:00

Do you or anyone you know have a Costco card?

There’s a lovely Red Baron de Lay, and some Barolos that are also nice. Range from £7ish per bottle up to £25 depending on the year.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: