Talk

Advanced search

Xmas cards for the previous owners.....11years on

(25 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Ikeameatballs Mon 18-Dec-17 13:53:48

I moved in to my home in March 2006. I still receive Xmas cards addressed to the previous owners! AIBU to think that if, after that long, you don't know that someone has moved, you probably aren't good friends and would stop sending cards? Every year I'm increasingly bemused by it and more so this year as I'm moving in 2018 and the new owners will still be receiving cards for the last ones!

MatildaTheCat Mon 18-Dec-17 14:18:46

I get a card every year to someone whose name is completely unknown to us. Not a previous owner in the past 30 odd years for sure. I wonder if Joan is fed up that Betty never sends her a card back?!

inniu Mon 18-Dec-17 14:21:38

I bought my house in 2005 and still get cards for deceased former occupants.

FineSally Mon 18-Dec-17 14:24:58

^ I have this too. Someone sending cards to a person I know has never lived at this address (it was built in 1970 & I know the names of everyone who has lived here). Not a neighbour either, so not the wrong house number. And it's not as though the street name is easily confused (eg Avenue instead of Street) because there aren't any others with similar names in the town.

I wish people would put return addresses on envelopes. Then at least they wouldn't be wasting their money for years.

GoEasyPudding Mon 18-Dec-17 14:46:38

I ended up writing to an address in the US to tell them the people they were sending cards to had moved in 2006.
I had previously left it for many years, tried returning to sender/gave to neighbours but they kept coming so I had to spend a little bit on airmail postage to let them know.

bigtissue Mon 18-Dec-17 14:59:25

We get one every year. The sender addresses it to 22 Tissue Road when it should be 22 Tissue Street. For the last few years I have hand written a note to the addressee on the envelope and put it in her letterbox, the note asking her to advise the sender of her actual address.

She hasn't, which leads me to believe that she doesn't want to. Next year if it happens I will try my hardest to track down the sender and give her the new address.

Well, it would be only neighbourly, wouldn't it? grin

grannytomine Mon 18-Dec-17 15:03:34

21st Christmas in this house and we get one for the previous owner every year.

AJPTaylor Mon 18-Dec-17 15:06:49

My db lived in an apartment that was a conversion of a large old house for 6 years. Every Xmas they would come home to find a bottle of v expensive champagne on the doorstep. When they sold we drank all 6 bottles the night before they moved.

GoodMorning1 Mon 18-Dec-17 15:08:39

We used to get ones with cash! For Christmas and birthday. Only £10 but I felt awful cos the card was just signed with a first name and the postmark was always illegible, so we had no way of working out who was sending them and asking them to stop. We knew the previous owners so it was them. I used to stick it in a charity box.

HebeMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 18-Dec-17 15:10:29

Oh, we have one of these but it's really horribly sad. No return address and not for the previous owners. Neighbours even have no idea who these people are.

Anyway, it was just quite fun for a few years, we always put the card up regardless! Then one year it had a note in saying a member of the family had been in rehab and things weren't so good. Then the next year a note saying she still wasn't living with them, and now she's just not on the cards any more.

I feel really sad about it and wonder firstly what's happened with them, and secondly what they must think about their friends/family who used to live in my house and seemingly ignore their note year after year! Serves me right for ever opening someone else's post. And now I HAVE to open it just in case they've put in an address and I can finally tell them their friends moved on donkey's years ago.

Tinselistacky Mon 18-Dec-17 15:18:44

The previous tenant but 1 at our address died at 102 but the cards still arrive!! Some people think she is still around at 106!! Not sure how they missed the funeral notice as we are a small place here!!

Louiselouie0890 Mon 18-Dec-17 15:23:17

I get the same. Every blooming year. Auntie and uncle so and so. They live in the same town so they cant be that close lol

honeylulu Mon 18-Dec-17 15:24:36

We've lived at our house since 2004. The people that lived here before us were here 14 years so since about 1990. Until very recently we used to get a card from "Cyril" to the owner before that (an old lady, no contact details for her, quite possibly deceased). We put Cyril's card up every year. He left no address so I could never return it. His writing was a bit wobblier each year.
Last year no card from Cyril. I felt quite sad actually.

IamtheDevilsAvocado Mon 18-Dec-17 15:27:46

Suspect many are from older folk who don't do social media....

Quite sad really that they don't realise their supposed friend /relative... And either have moved and haven't mentioned it... Or have croaked and no one has told them

stilltheykeepcoming Mon 18-Dec-17 15:32:43

31 years and counting... not even addressed to the people we bought the house from. House number, town and postcode all this road, but street name slightly different. I've searched online and can't find the people or that house no & road name anywhere in the country.

So - John and Ann Fitch, if you are wondering why you never get a Christmas card from Sandra and Peter, it's here again!

Ginorchoc Mon 18-Dec-17 15:37:52

I send one every year to my brother and sil. Never hear from them or get one back, they’ve prob moved and not said. Adopted siblings so not close at all but would feel not bad not sending one, so it might be me fblush

Ginorchoc Mon 18-Dec-17 15:38:23

*would feel bad

lalaloopyhead Mon 18-Dec-17 15:38:39

I lost my address book and asked to borrow my Mums so I could do my cards for relatives - this is when I realised that she has been sending a card to my best friend to the wrong address for the past 13 years!!

Mia1415 Mon 18-Dec-17 15:41:22

2003 here! For the first 2 years I put it through the old owners door, but gave up after that.

ScrommidgeClaryAndSpunt Mon 18-Dec-17 15:42:03

We have been in our place over a decade and each year we still get a handful of cards for the (very nice) previous owner, which we always pass on. Previous owner assures us that everyone in her address book got an "I've moved" card and is always very grateful.

We think we've worked out why this keeps happening. Previous owner moved to another village a mile away, still in the same postcode district, and with a street name very similar to ours - so if our address is 28 Bloggs Road, Village, ZZ99, previous owner is at 10 Bloggs Close, Other Village, ZZ99 - and the two addresses are therefore sufficiently similar to be confused.

John4703 Mon 18-Dec-17 15:47:22

I posted 4 cards this year to friends and relatives who are a bit older than me (I am 70) I put my return address on the back as I'd like to know if they are still alive. I do social media but they don't

Ikeameatballs Mon 18-Dec-17 15:58:35

I'm sure the first Xmas I re-delivered the cards to the previous owners at their new house. Then I gave up and now I'm not sure I'd even remember where their new house is, if they haven't moved on again, as they live in a cul-de-sac of a large estate that confuses me whenever I drive through it.

It does make me feel sad.

knowwhereyourheadis Mon 18-Dec-17 16:10:14

I get this, since 2009.
The cards are for the family who used to live next door.

I passed the cards over the first couple of years, then they moved and I've no idea where too. They were obviously in touch as new babies arrived before they moved and were named on the cards.

I opened the first one to see if there was a return address, so I could let the sender know, there was no address but a general life update.
I quite look forward to reading the stories now but there is no way I can tell them the card hasn't got to its intended people.

allertse Mon 18-Dec-17 16:21:07

It's not always because people aren't in touch.

My dad discovered recently that he had been sending cards to the wrong address for over a decade to a relative who lives abroad! They are in regular email contact and they have been to visit us multiple times - but we had never had cause to question if the address was right until we went to visit them!

Overthehillsandfaraway8 Mon 18-Dec-17 16:21:48

I'm afraid I binned those I received in our last house.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: