Talk

Advanced search

To think ladies first has no place these days

(403 Posts)
Idreamofalandrover Sun 17-Dec-17 22:20:12

They've used it twice on the apprentice tonight, why? We aren't in the 50s anymore!

theimportanceofbeinghappy Sun 17-Dec-17 22:27:12

The phrase "ladies first" like when opening a door?

Is this all you've got to worry about? Someone being polite?

g1itterati Sun 17-Dec-17 22:27:57

Well I missed the Apprentice, but even our 14 and 10 year old sons seem capable of remembering basic manners like that and they certainly were not around in the 50s.

BroomHandledMouser Sun 17-Dec-17 22:28:43

Manners OP - basic manners

DonkeyPunch88 Sun 17-Dec-17 22:29:06

Probably get flamed but I really like it to be honest. Shows nice manners and I quite like the gentlemanly respect when people do it for me smile

surferjet Sun 17-Dec-17 22:32:23

I love a man who treats a woman with respect.
Op, maybe post this on the feminist board, you’ll get more people agreeing with you. Maybe?

Idreamofalandrover Sun 17-Dec-17 22:32:58

It's not manors, it's inequality and belongs in the past.

1stTimeMama Sun 17-Dec-17 22:33:05

Some of us still like to be treated nicely though, so I'm all for it. Surely manners aren't an offence now?!

Idreamofalandrover Sun 17-Dec-17 22:33:28

I'm not going near that batshit crazy board again..

JeReviens Sun 17-Dec-17 22:34:48

Well you’re right about one thing. It certainly isn’t ‘manors’

hmm

RestingGrinchFace Sun 17-Dec-17 22:35:09

But it's not material inequality. Being allowed through a doorway first doesn't restrict your access to education or allow to discriminate against you because of your sex. Go find some real problems to worry about.

TheNewSchmoo Sun 17-Dec-17 22:36:25

It's not manors. It is, however, manners.

Nishky Sun 17-Dec-17 22:36:26

I hate ‘ ladies first’ - patronising bollocks.

I may have had wine

But seriously why is it NICE?

hidinginthenightgarden Sun 17-Dec-17 22:38:03

It is outdated, as it the man paying for everything.

It has been a very long time since anyone paid me the curtesy to be honest.

cornflakegirl Sun 17-Dec-17 22:38:16

I like good manners. I always hold the door for people. I strenuously object to ladies first - what else do they think my vagina prevents me from doing?

alfagirl73 Sun 17-Dec-17 22:38:46

My boyfriend always opens doors for me etc... and I like it. I don't see it as inequality - he totally respects me and my career etc. I just see it as good old fashioned manners and rather charming actually.

Nishky Sun 17-Dec-17 22:39:11

Oh and my husband treats me with absolute respect -as an equal- not as some precious snowflake who has to go through a door first- why can’t manners mean that a person holds a door open for another person

VeraVinegarTits Sun 17-Dec-17 22:39:58

Doesn't offend me in the slightest.

elQuintoConyo Sun 17-Dec-17 22:41:08

It's just so they can ogle our arses grin*

* total bollocks, but ffs.

My best friend and i say it to each other. I'll say it to DH. My 6yo will say it to me. I'll say it to him. I'll even say it to the dog!

Osolea Sun 17-Dec-17 22:41:20

I like it.

meredintofpandiculation Sun 17-Dec-17 22:41:57

I like good manners. I always hold the door for people. I strenuously object to ladies first - what else do they think my vagina prevents me from doing?
This!
But I just smile and say thank you. Life's too short.

Nyx1 Sun 17-Dec-17 22:42:04

I was baffled by this too.

Urubu Sun 17-Dec-17 22:42:17

I just see it as good old fashioned manners and rather charming actually
This

elQuintoConyo Sun 17-Dec-17 22:42:38

...or they want you to shield them from potential zombies...

ComtesseDeSpair Sun 17-Dec-17 22:42:56

Apprentice candidates are usually all smarmy and false and trying to win favours. But generally my experience is that men who call women "ladies" and make a big thing out of their chivalry and gentlemanly manners and "treating" when they go out are the ones who expect to be treated in a particular way and think that said "ladies" owe them something in return; but I'm sure others have different and much nicer experiences they'll be keen to share.

I have absolutely no time for men who make a big thing of "ladies first" when actually what they mean is "ladies who I am trying to impress because I want to get lucky with them." I have no problem with men opening doors and moving chairs for me, providing they'd do the same for anybody else - including for other men. If it's simply good manners then it should apply to everyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now