Talk

Advanced search

Quarter life crisis- the worlds my oyster so where shall I move to?

(13 Posts)
EstaVino Sun 17-Dec-17 20:50:37

Mid twenties, not many responsibilities, i'm currently sick of living in the area I grew up and being the family lackey.

I really fancy a fresh start, a change of scenery, a chance to be myself and somewhere I can spread my wings.

I'm still not sure what I 'want to do'. Currently i'm just applying for any old job that will cover my rent and run my car so I can do that anywhere really.

Where shall I go? I'm not sure what i'm after except somewhere where the people are down-to-earth, a place where I can afford a room with windows, somewhere that I can be anonymous and somewhere with other young people. I'm currently in Cambridgeshire and looking to move a minimum of two to three hours away.

senua Sun 17-Dec-17 20:57:25

Do you have any particular hobbies, pastimes, sports?
Do you fancy sea, mountains?

Doyouthinktheysaurus Sun 17-Dec-17 20:58:43

Go North, Cambridgeshire is flat and dull IMO, south of there is too expensive. I live on the south coast after growing up in Cambridgeshire, left when I was 19 and hate going back. I'd love to live in Yorkshire, Cumbria or Northumberland. Can't be more specific, I'm older and would move somewhere quiet and rural but move north is my best advice.

EstaVino Sun 17-Dec-17 21:07:31

Senua The sports I play and the hobbies I have I could literally do them anywhere. I'm also fancy mixing them up too as they've been the same for years.

Doyouthink I am thinking of going up north, but maybe there's something to the West?

I went to uni four hours away on the coast and absolutely loved it. But I also fancy a bit of a change of scenery from that too..

twiney Sun 17-Dec-17 21:09:02

Sheffield

AwkwardSquad Sun 17-Dec-17 21:15:11

Newcastle

Heychickadee Sun 17-Dec-17 21:17:22

I did that and moved to Bristol. Best decision ever!

BrandNewHouse Sun 17-Dec-17 21:20:41

A different country. We spent a couple of years in Asia and I think it would be great as a young person.

I have lived/worked in 4 different countries. It will give you strength you would think unimaginable.

PinkJeggings Sun 17-Dec-17 21:21:14

Sydney

Nomad86 Sun 17-Dec-17 21:31:14

How about Manchester? It's a hub for jobs in the north, cheaper rent than the south, major airport nearby. You've also got the choice of city, suburbs and countryside to commute from. Great transport links for seeing family too. Plus it's a big university city so geared up for young people.

BossWitch Sun 17-Dec-17 21:36:47

Yorkshire. Leeds is fab and the economy is pretty strong so jobs should be ok and rent is reasonable. Lots of house shares or small flats and as it's a city with a load of students it has a great young vibe and a lot going on. Plus easy access to the country and not too far from the coast if you have a car.

Doyouthinktheysaurus Sun 17-Dec-17 22:03:02

West Country is expensive! I love Bristol but I don't think it's very cheap to live. Anything further West is a bit 'country' and not realistically, very good for work opportunities.

I moved to Brighton for university and despite many twists and turns along the way, I've not strayed too far from Brighton. I would love to go up North and definitely would if it wasn't for my dc's school and dh's work. I'd move to the Lake District or Yorkshire Dales.....maybe the Peak District.

Nice choice to have, good luck choosing....

realwoodlogs Sun 17-Dec-17 22:09:19

Carlisle/Cumbria. Best move I ever made! Was from your area too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now