Talk

Advanced search

Not aibu but advice needed

(17 Posts)
Aftereights91 Sun 17-Dec-17 18:11:25

My toddler has had a cough and cold today but seems a bit worse tonight. He's warm to touch but no temp, but his breathing is a little fast. Approximately 56 bpm when awake and a little lower when asleep. His chest isn't suckling in and he doesn't seem to be struggling to breathe, just breathing a little faster. Does this sound like just a cold? Only asking as when I've rung 111 before for other things they always say they'll get a doctor to ring me back and it's always hours later when I've made a decision on what to do, so just seems a bit pointless

QueenNefertitty Sun 17-Dec-17 18:17:29

56 breaths per min is way over where it should be for a toddler, and is a bit of a red flag.

What's his temp without meds?

With breathing that fast, I'd take him straight to OOH- kids hide stuff like pneumonia incredibly well.

If he had a temp over 39.5, a temp that wasn't responding to meds, a wheeze,a rash, or I felt uneasy, I'd be at A&E with breathing rate that fast....

QueenNefertitty Sun 17-Dec-17 18:18:20

Not to be alarmist- sorry! It could be just a cold- but it also might not be- I know from sore experience with my own DS.

Aftereights91 Sun 17-Dec-17 18:20:43

Oh I didn't realise it was that high I thought it was just a little high sad his temps fine I've checked with different thermometers, his skins warm but no temp, I've only given him calpol in case he's got a sore throat from coughing I didn't need to give him it for temp

nocoolnamesleft Sun 17-Dec-17 18:21:29

If he's not got a high temp, then that breathing rate is too fast for a toddler.

3littlemonkeys82 Sun 17-Dec-17 18:21:37

A 1-5 year olds respiratory rate should really be taking 20-30 breaths per minute. Please call out of hours or take him to a walk in centre.
Hope he feels better soon

QueenNefertitty Sun 17-Dec-17 18:23:13

Sorry OP- didn't mean to scare you. Over 1, breathing rate at rest should typically be below 30 in a week child.

I'd call 111 if he seems otherwise well (cold aside)- I've had a few hairy times with DS lately, and fast breathing has always been something that makes medics prick up their ears.

QueenNefertitty Sun 17-Dec-17 18:23:30

Well child, sorry

Aftereights91 Sun 17-Dec-17 18:23:47

Oh christ right I'll take him to the walk in, thanks guys

QueenNefertitty Sun 17-Dec-17 18:24:51

Hope all okay- let us know how you get on

Foodylicious Sun 17-Dec-17 18:30:02

How is he in himself? Playing as normal or lethargic and pale?
It's normal for reaps to be a bit high with infection but that does sound a bit worrying.
I would get them checked tonight x
Good luck hope he is better soon x

Foodylicious Sun 17-Dec-17 18:31:38

Another red flag are them using their accessory muscles to breath, so shoulders going up and down much more than normal

Aftereights91 Sun 17-Dec-17 18:53:04

Well we're getting ready to go and now it's gone down to 46 ish breaths per minute. And yes perfectly fine in himself been playing happily all day

Aftereights91 Sun 17-Dec-17 19:10:28

Down to 32 now and he fell asleep while I was getting sorted, so I'll keep an eye on him and if it picks back up at all I'll take him up to the walk in, thankyou all

ilikefastcars Sun 17-Dec-17 19:25:21

Sounds like bronchiolitis he needs to see a dr x

Spartaca Sun 17-Dec-17 19:30:06

How old a toddler? My 8 wk old is just recovering from bronchiolitis, docs said they don't medicate etc as it is viral, but if they struggle they help with breathing etc.

Aftereights91 Mon 18-Dec-17 12:19:21

He's much better today, still coughing but no more fast breathing

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now