Talk

Advanced search

To feel utterly shit about the current climate in the world

(11 Posts)
pastabakewithcheese Sun 17-Dec-17 00:29:21

The Trump presidency, he's fucked up so much. Who knows now what the consequences of his actions now or in the future will be. The shambles that has become of our Brexit negotiations. We're in uncharted waters again who knows how we'll come out on the other side. The government again giving themselves a pay rise yet wages for everyone else has been stagnant or barely moving. Housing not being affordable. Very little disposable income. Cost of living rising. The ongoing wars and persecutions in other countries that make me feel at least some sort of gratefulness that I'm not in a worse condition of living. For the last 5 years I'd say we've been on the decline, outlook seems so bleak I just wonder is there anything to look forward to these days and how long will we be in this situation.

I've not lived through previous recessions or bleak outlooks of the world's climate, so this seems very prolonged. Sometimes I just sit there and wonder what will be of the world when the next generation has grown up, it's shit and just really depressing

WallisofWindsor Sun 17-Dec-17 00:40:30

And people still look forward to Xmas.
I'm just hating the world so much sometimes I don't even want to get out the house or see anyone.

Kingsclerelass Sun 17-Dec-17 06:57:36

Maybe they look forward to Xmas as a bit of respite from all the bleakness. I'm older than you. I had my first very new mortgage when Black Monday happened and they put interest rates up by 5% twice in one day. It felt like I'd lost everything. Got past that and negative equity happened, people had mortgages for twice what their house was worth. Lots of Suicides. The Irish troubles were in full swing and George Bush (the first one) was bombing Saddam Hussein out of Kuwait killing thousands as he went.
But it comes in waves. The Irish thing sort of got sorted. House prices went up again although not sure that was such a good thing.
I focus on protecting those nearest & dearest, enjoy the good bits more & support ChildLine. Or you could go join the PKK or work for the Red Cross. Or go into politics!
And you're right. Trump is beyond contempt. Hopefully he's on his way out.

RemainOptimistic Sun 17-Dec-17 07:02:14

And yet starvation and genocide in Africa doesn't bother you.

The world is shit. It was ever thus. Why do you think religion exists?

Make a choice OP. Do something to help the people around you or just get on with making yourself happy. Sitting around whinging isn't helping you or anyone else.

You can make a difference and whinging ain't it.

septembersapphire Sun 17-Dec-17 07:05:20

A poster above was right. I am sure when my parents raised me they worried about nuclear war, aids, the troubles and the thatcher years changing Britain’s outlook. Things do change: the only thing we can be sure of is that they won stay the same.

speakout Sun 17-Dec-17 07:08:39

I grew up in the 60s when women were unable to get loans without their husband's permission. "Domestic" violence was ignored and sexual abuse victims were told to be quiet. I grew up during the cold war when TV government announcements advised what we should do in the event of nuclear attack. I bought a house in the 80s when interest rates topped 18%.

There will always be trouble and strife.

Christmas is about grasping the positive despite our troubles.
It makes the celebration even more worthwhile.

We are a weird species clinging to a piece of rock as it hurtles through space.

Yet we can wonder about that fact and even find joy.

"swing from the chandelier".

Godotsarrived Sun 17-Dec-17 07:16:34

Support the Red Cross or save the children. Get involved in politics, do what you can, look after people and challenge any hatred you see. Evil flourishes when good people do nothing. Keep your loved ones close and enjoy Christmas.

hesterton Sun 17-Dec-17 07:19:37

Godotsarrived is right.

pastabakewithcheese Sun 17-Dec-17 09:28:41

Thanks everyone. Will look into ways to help Red Cross/Childline whether that's volunteering or donation. Feels like there's no end in sight sometimes

@Kingsclerelass @speakout gosh reading that makes today look a lot bettersad

makeourfuture Sun 17-Dec-17 09:36:37

We can make our future!

Say no to hatred and division.

Say no to the chasm between rich and poor.

TabbyMumz Sun 17-Dec-17 10:29:16

But there is always something big and dramatic and sad going on in the world. You can't make it change your life and effect your happiness, otherwise you will always be miserable and what's the point in that. You only get one life.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now