Talk

Advanced search

Christmas Cards

(13 Posts)
Inwaiting Sat 16-Dec-17 20:58:35

I’ve been a serial lurker for almost two years as shameful as that is but I was hoping you lovely people can give me some advice.

I had this plan of not sending Christmas cards this year as id really like to donate to a homeless charity instead. Rather than 1p go to the charity through Christmas cards purchase like it says on the small print of most of those boxes.

I done so and was just about to send a text out apologising for the lack of Christmas card but hope the donation is better than something that will be taken to landfill in January. (Ok so not quite like that but you get my drift)

My husband thinks I’m being a CF. So I said I would defeat the object and still send Christmas cards but add a note that I have donated. Nothing more to it than it might encourage others to donate too. This is also something that the charity recommends. (They came to our office which is who gave me the idea in the first place)

Homelessness is awful in London and I really want to help give people a safe place to sleep. But he still thinks I’m being a CF.

So do I stick to my original plan of e-cards or send Christmas cards with / without a note of the donation. I’m not here to get flamed. If I do so I will probably run and never come back grin I’m here for advice before I potentially get flamed from family and friends as a CF confused

cardibach Sat 16-Dec-17 21:06:01

Christmas cards and charity donations are not linked. I don’t send Christmas cards as they are a pain in the arse and also an environmental nightmare. I also donate to charity. I sometimes tell people about my charity donations at Christmas time, but I don’t send cards because I hate the, not so I can donate more to charity.
If you don’t want to write cards, don’t. It’s not CF, it’s just a decision.
Sorry if that’s a bit rambling.

leccybill Sat 16-Dec-17 21:08:08

Honestly, people just don't want flappy bits of card everywhere clogging up their homes. There's nothing cheeky about donating instead. I agree with you OP.

Hepzibar Sat 16-Dec-17 21:08:49

Don't send cards. Don't explain. Most people won't even notice and those that do will be glad because they don't have to send you one next year.

Make the donation but no need to announce it.

RestingGrinchFace Sat 16-Dec-17 21:11:45

How have you managed to nativigate a he etiquette surrounding charitable donations thus far? Oris the first time you have ever donated to charity? When you make a donation it's the same as giving someone else a gift or buying yourself a treat. It's all good and well but no one else cares. Telling others is boring at best and attention seeking at worst. Just don't please.

Paperchains1986 Sat 16-Dec-17 21:14:14

What cardibach said. if you want to donate something, donate. If you can't be arsed to send cards, don't. I got a pack of 20 charity cards from coop for £1.50 and sent them. I also have monthly donations to charities.

Don't tell people you've donated. You'll just look desperate to be known as a good person and it's embarrassing. Also, those people don't know if it's true (not suggesting it isn't) but my friends on fb do this "I'm not sending cards but have given a donation...". How do I know that's true and why can't you do both, or do it without bragging..

VeryFoolishFay Sat 16-Dec-17 21:14:57

Or get cards from www.cardsforcharity.co.uk. Loads of choice and round 70p -75p in the pound goes back to the charities concerned. Not just about the money raised but spreading the word about their work.

RainbowWish Sat 16-Dec-17 21:16:39

Could you send an email card. My dm uses 123 greetings to send her cards out to family abroad.

ruleshelpcontrolthefun Sat 16-Dec-17 21:17:51

I'd see a note in a card as being very attention seeking tbh. Like "look at me, I'm such a good person". Just go and do your good thing quietly.

RainbowWish Sat 16-Dec-17 21:18:03

What a great site! I think I might be ordering some also fgrin

VeryFoolishFay Sat 16-Dec-17 21:18:08

Shelter is represented too!

Inwaiting Sat 16-Dec-17 21:22:46

Really like the site thank you I will get some. I can’t not respond to people who have already sent cards as I feel like it’s being rude. I will do both & not include anything. It was because the charity said according to their research it spreads the word & encourages other people to donate that I wanted to.

Thanks mumsnet !

VeryFoolishFay Sun 17-Dec-17 00:35:57

I recently stood near a couple in tesco who were deliberating about the packs which give 10p to charity. I thought about suggesting they visit the local Cards for Good Causes stockist but wimped out on the grounds that I might come across as slightly mad. (I work for the organisation - not on commission!) I love it; extremely rewarding and we raise around £6m annually.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: