Talk

Advanced search

Remedy for blocked ear?

(13 Posts)
karmacoma1 Sat 16-Dec-17 15:03:38

I know this isn’t really aibu?

Had a dreadful sinus-y cold the last few days. Just as I thought the bastard thing was on the move... well it was. To my left ear sad

I have about 30% hearing I’m it and it’s driving me mad! I’ve tried googling and doing the suggestions like lying on my side, decongestant, I’m literally at my wits end.

Any out there remedies from any MNers ? 😩

lookingforthecorkscrew Sat 16-Dec-17 15:13:13

I’ve just had a similar virus, it’s taken over a week to clear. My ear feels a bit crunchy/squelchy now but is def on the mend. Holding your nose and blowing might help a little bit.

TOADfan Sat 16-Dec-17 15:15:07

Im watching with interest. I have had blocked ears due to a sinsus infection for over a year. Doctors given up, on a 2 year waiting list for ENT sad

karmacoma1 Sat 16-Dec-17 15:18:23

A YEAR?! Jesus Christ, toad you have my sympathies! fsad

Tried the nose blowing thing, corkscrew, doesn’t seem to make any difference. sad

God, it’s infuriating!

Praisebe Sat 16-Dec-17 15:25:00

Ive read that 3% hydrogen peroxide dropped into the ear can help clear infections and blockages

biscuiteater Sat 16-Dec-17 15:25:08

Lying that ear on a warm hot water bottle might help? (Not too hot though). I also find breathing methol crystals in hot water with a towel over your head helps clear congestion. Warning those crystals are potent!

Joolsy Sat 16-Dec-17 16:35:51

I had blocked ear a couple of years ago. Try drops of olive oil, but it's not a quick solution. Also when you're in the shower, blast the water at the ear

ThisIsSylviaDaisyPouncer Sat 16-Dec-17 19:47:13

You need to get an Otovent device. It’s like a little balloon that you inflate by blowing from your nose. It’s amazing. I read about it on Mumsnet and recommended it to my mum who had previously been referred for an operation for grommets as her hearing was so bad. It worked so well that she has stopped wearing her hearing aid! They cost under £10 on Amazon and big Boots apparently stock them as well.

AnnoyedByAlfieBear Sat 16-Dec-17 21:01:31

Olive oil for a week then an ear syringe with a nurse. That's the only thing that works for me.

Damia Sat 16-Dec-17 21:11:37

I had some decongestants from the Dr. It took week's to clear my ear before my ear finally popped.

Rebeccaslicker Sat 16-Dec-17 21:15:44

The vasalver manoeuvre (holding nose and blowing) can work a treat but can also make it worse.

Most cases clear themselves but it can take ages. There are some unlucky people sad

I had it so badly after flying with a cold when I was pregnant and couldn't take any decongestant - the sinus and ear pain was unreal on that descent, never ever again! - and my right ear was blocked for a fortnight. Nothing I did fixed it; in the end it just sorted itself. It's awful, you can't stop thinking about it.

Hopefully yours will clear itself soon 🤞🏻

Rebeccaslicker Sat 16-Dec-17 21:16:13

* valsalva

WestWorldWatcher Sat 16-Dec-17 21:44:33

Agree with AnnoyedByAlfieBear.

Olive oil 3 times a day over several days and then get thee to the nurse for syringing. I get this probably once a year / 2 years or so. The relief of getting syringed is incredible. I love having it done grin. I have really, really small ears and the nurses are usually slightly flabbergasted by what comes out of them... once I got told it was the biggest wax plug she had seen in a woman and last time she kept asking if I was ok to continue because "quite a lot has just come out", said in that tone of voice where they are trying not to alarm you but have just seen enough wax to make a church candle grin. Don't suffer anymore - make the appointment!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now