Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to ask for a hand hold?

(17 Posts)
Wherearethechocolateoranges Sat 16-Dec-17 13:19:06

DD2 (5 months) is being investigated for a genetic disorder that would massively increase the likelihood of her getting a childhood cancer. We are going to the hospital on Monday but I just can't see from all my reading about it and looking at her how the answer can be no. I don't even know how to get through until Monday, never mind get through until she's 10 and the risk decreases. I need to be sick really badly. I'm not quite sure how to keep breathing in and out, if that makes any sense. I would be really grateful for a hand hold. Anyone who's been in the same position - does it get easier?

Whinesalot Sat 16-Dec-17 13:23:27

I think the waiting is worse than an actual diagnosis. I think that you do eventually cope even if you hear the worst - because you have no choice but to adopt coping strategies. But at least you know what you are dealing with. When you are waiting for results your mind goes into overdrive and its an awful time.

Deep breath in and then a long breath out.

Hand extended for you.

Blackteadrinker77 Sat 16-Dec-17 13:25:53

Stupid I know but try not to predict the outcome of the test.

My DD1 (22 now) had all the signs of MS when she was a baby. They pretty much told me she it.
When the results came back she didn't have it and I'd worried sick for days for nothing.

Sending you a hug x

Awwlookatmybabyspider Sat 16-Dec-17 13:27:32

My thoughts are you. I do fully agree with
PP. The waiting part is the most torturous.
(((((((((((((((()))))))))))

ScarlettDarling Sat 16-Dec-17 13:32:45

I'm so very sorry you're going through this, how very awful. That feeling of worry and despair is agonising . I haven't been through a similar situation, but as an anxiety sufferer I'm unfortunately very familiar with that sick to your stomach, cloud of doom feeling. I'm sending you best wishes and a hand hold. Let us know how you get on flowers

Dani240 Sat 16-Dec-17 13:39:26

Sent you a PM Wherearethechocolateoranges.

ohfourfoxache Sat 16-Dec-17 14:23:58

It’s extremely unMNetty but I’m sending the biggest ((hug))

Jemimapuddleduk Sat 16-Dec-17 14:26:57

The waiting is horrendous. My ds was diagnosed with cancer at 16 months old. Hopefully you will get a clear result but either way once you know a diagnosis you can start planning and getting the relevant support.
A big squeeze and handhold from me.

SeaToSki Sat 16-Dec-17 14:34:56

Sending you a hug. Try to just focus on the next hour and dont think beyond that. That old phrase, dont cross a bridge until you get to it, is actually quite wise.

Otterseatpuffinsdontthey Sat 16-Dec-17 14:38:15

Hug, hand hold and flowers (have just discovered how to add these!).
Best Wishes for Monday.

Wherearethechocolateoranges Sat 16-Dec-17 17:08:20

Thank you very much.

Aeroflotgirl Sat 16-Dec-17 17:17:13

Sending you massive hugs. 💗💗💗

ShovingLeopard Sat 16-Dec-17 17:26:13

Oh, this must be the worst. You must be beside yourself. I really, really, hope you get good news on Monday, but sending positive vibes right now. flowers

Otterseatpuffinsdontthey Mon 18-Dec-17 08:23:41

flowers for today xxx

Wherearethechocolateoranges Mon 18-Dec-17 21:03:30

Thank you all so much. We are not out of the woods yet but, thank God, the geneticist we saw today was quite hopeful that the markers DD has might be explained away by other things - that she doesn't necessarily have the syndrome so we shouldn't panic yet. The genetic tests won't be back until January, but I am feeling more hopeful today than I have all week. Thank you all for the support. It really helped on Saturday, when I was having a very dark day. I don't know what will happen in January but today I am letting myself have a little bit of hope.

Whinesalot Wed 20-Dec-17 00:04:36

All the best and update us in January. Fingers crossed for good news.

GinAndSonic Wed 20-Dec-17 00:08:39

Can I ask what condition they think your DAD could possibly have?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: