Talk

Advanced search

Help please

(16 Posts)
babyitscoldoutsideX Sat 16-Dec-17 06:11:48

Posting here purely for traffic but -
My daughter started nursery in September and has been for 3 months and in that time has been CONSTANTLY ill. Chest infection, ear infection, cold, coughs, sickness - everything going. She was usually very well before nursery but now it's like she can't catch a break.
I was just wondering if this is normal? And is there any light at the end of the tunnel for her, she absolutely adores going to nursery and it's such a shame it's accompanied by so many illnesses!
Thanks everyone.

Peppapogstillonaloop Sat 16-Dec-17 06:14:41

Pretty normal in my experience sorry! Some kids seem to get it worse than others but my niece sounds similar to how you describe. Nursery is open season for germs and just starting she will not have much natural resistance to anything..

BeerBaby Sat 16-Dec-17 06:17:18

Very normal! It's taken for granted in my group of mums that first few months of nursery the children are ill

SamineShaw Sat 16-Dec-17 06:19:06

Very normal! Just look at it as boosting her immunity for years to come 😁

FreshHorizons Sat 16-Dec-17 06:21:35

Normal- my husband also got everything once they started- I was immune being a teacher.

laurzj82 Sat 16-Dec-17 06:21:56

Yep totally normal. My DD started nursery 1 day a week at about 11m. Constant illness for the first year, but thankfully seems a bit more resistant now

babyitscoldoutsideX Sat 16-Dec-17 06:27:12

Ohh well that's reassuring! Thanks everyone!

pinotgrigio1 Sat 16-Dec-17 06:30:16

Ds2 started nursery at the beginning of September when he was 9 months old. It has been an almost constant 3 months of coughs, colds and chest infections. He has got a cold at the minute, but before this one he'd been illness free for 3/4 weeks so things are getting better. I remember ds1 was exactly the same. It gets better.

londonrach Sat 16-Dec-17 06:38:00

Vvv normal. Im prolonging putting dd in as long as possible as cant afford to pay nursery and take sick pay as i dont get paid sick pay. My amazing pil have stepped in and the idea is to get xmas period over and rethink it then as hoping less bugs in spring and summer (can hope). Everyone of dd friends in nursery seemed to have been ill for months.

divadee Sat 16-Dec-17 06:40:16

Oh they are disease ridden places. My 10.5 month old started in September and it's been a constant cold and cough, hand foot and mouth, an horrendous tummy bug that knocked her for 6 for a week, and we now have the start of another cold. I am hoping it stops soon as a) i hate seeing her poorly all the time and b) all the time off work I am having is not good for me! Work are beginning to get arsey.

Herewegoagain01 Sat 16-Dec-17 07:16:05

My year 1 aged dc is still constantly ill from October until January. It’s normal, so many bugs around. But their immune system will be stronger for it in the long run.

justilou1 Sat 16-Dec-17 07:21:59

Totally normal... if they stay at home and don't get it now, this all happens when they start school.

sumofparts Sat 16-Dec-17 07:42:27

Yes, both mine were like this but now have fantastic immune systems and rarely get coughs and colds or tummy bugs.
Both had chicken pox before 2yrs old too.

SaturdaySauv Sat 16-Dec-17 07:46:04

Very normal. First 6-12 months can be tough with illness- was definitely the case for my DD, nieces and nephews and nct group. My daughter has been at nursery for 11 months now and it's starting to improve.

ZoopDragon Sat 16-Dec-17 08:04:17

Normal! This was us last year when DD started nursery. Back to back colds, D&V bugs, chest infections, weird viruses. Of course I caught them too! This winter has been much better, just a few mild colds so far.

StepAwayFromGoogle Sat 16-Dec-17 08:10:12

Yep, perfectly normal. It goes on for about 9 months and then eases up. DD had everything going - and subsequently so did we. Work loved me.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: