Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be disappointed in Mumsnet promoting app for diesel in London?

(9 Posts)
Kat195 Sat 16-Dec-17 00:12:39

I had this email from the Insight Team:
"Zebra Fuel has asked us to find 25 Mumsnetters to test their fuel delivery service, where you can order fuel to be delivered directly to your vehicle via an app.

"To be eligible to take part in the test, you’ll need to have a Diesel car and live in central or West London".

It seems to me unethical for Mumsnet to be promoting this. Diesel vehicles are the most polluting in London. Schools throughout London are experiencing pollution levels that breach safe limits. I myself have trouble sometimes when walking along busy roads, not to mention little ones whose lungs are still developing.

AIBU?
(Hope I've posted in an appropriate thread)

AlexanderHamilton Sat 16-Dec-17 00:16:21

People have cars. They need to be fuelled up. People with company cars in particular in recent times have had diesel vehicles promoted to them.

My car is petrol as I do short local journeys mostly. Dh's is diesel as he may stay does long motorway journeys.

It's a service, an app. People won't be changing or choosing their car fuel because of it.

LineyRunner Sat 16-Dec-17 00:18:43

I think the OP raises a fair point, though.

Mumsnet. Parents. Children. Pollutants. Lungs. Illness...

RestingGrinchFace Sat 16-Dec-17 00:24:59

But it's not like they are increasing usage of diesel. Mumsnet users will not be buying diesel cars just to participate. Don't get me wrong, the pollution in London is disgusting, the popularity of diesel (result from government insentives not mumsnet trials) being one of the contributors but, given that this will have zero impact (the only thing that will make a real difference is improvements in infrastructure (public transport, traffic flows, increased speed limits) for existing cars and improvements in infrastructure (charging points in particular) and incentives for electric cars.

RestingGrinchFace Sat 16-Dec-17 00:25:26

I don't see why a moral issue arises.

Originalfoogirl Sat 16-Dec-17 00:30:02

You think without this app people won’t buy diesel? Or that the app will encourage people to swap petrol cars for diesel? Because that’s just ridiculous.

LineyRunner Sat 16-Dec-17 00:38:59

But of Product X just sells itself, why the need for a promotion?

Kingsclerelass Sat 16-Dec-17 06:52:01

Because they aren't promoting diesel, they are promoting their fuel delivery service. And probably diesel is their test choice because it is a lot safer to transport than petrol.

Kat195 Sat 16-Dec-17 22:31:17

I guess the point is that the app makes it more convenient to drive diesel, so tipping the balance more (if even slightly) towards the choice of driving diesel. Of course, not promoting it won't stop people driving diesel. Just as (Mumsnet) not promoting tobacco products won't stop people smoking - yet I don't think I would be asking AIBU about that. It's about a general awareness. And, it does seem at odds with the more "wholesome" products I've so far been invited to do surveys on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now