Talk

Advanced search

To wonder about the flamboyant frog?

(25 Posts)
grimupnorthLondon Fri 15-Dec-17 19:47:10

I went to the DIY superstore this evening to pick up stuff that turned out to be bulkier and heavier than I had expected. So I had to call an Uber to get it back home. His car had a big boot and I was very apologetic about how much stuff I had as it took a few minutes for me to hump it from the trolley into the boot. Driver got out to open the boot then got back in the car - fair enough, it’s raining and he’s not a delivery man. When we got home he got out and watched as I lumped it all onto our front step as quickly as I could. I apologised again and he drove off.

Just got a text from the driver and I ran it through google translate and it came out as “She fucks a flamboyant frog in the twinkle”.

Is this his way of commenting on my breach of Uber etiquette?

teaandtoast Fri 15-Dec-17 20:13:44

He got out and watched? confused

ScreamingValenta Fri 15-Dec-17 20:16:19

fconfused I'll be boring, and suggest he probably meant to send it to someone else. A lovely image, though - if someone said it of me I'd be quite pleased fgrin.

twiney Fri 15-Dec-17 20:27:10

Maybe copy and paste original here, someone might know the language.

But instinctively I understand this to be a description of a woman who is really proactive in bed! 😁

frieda909 Fri 15-Dec-17 20:28:31

How did the uber driver have your number? shock

grimupnorthLondon Fri 15-Dec-17 20:31:07

They get your number to call you if they can’t find you at the pickup. He called me asking why I wasn’t waiting at Argos when I had selected B&Q as the pickup. Text came from the same number.

I think the language is either Greek or Turkish. See below if anyone can help?

Gamiseta kouvalei mia plaster ne bq do ta shduk fare

Of course it could just be Google Translate being poetic smile

Booboostwo Fri 15-Dec-17 20:45:08

The message is garbled but the first half is Greek. It says

Fuck it, he/she's carrying a

Plaster onwards in no longer Greek.

ScreamingValenta Fri 15-Dec-17 20:47:50

Could 'bq' be literally that, assuming that was the DIY Superstore you used?

grimupnorthLondon Fri 15-Dec-17 20:48:38

He probably was having a go at me for carrying so much stuff then. Quite glad I didn’t tip him now. He was smiling away at me too - the two-faced little piece. It wasn’t plaster either - it was bags of tile adhesive that didn’t leave the slightest dust or stain - I know as I was hugging them against my good work coat as I lugged them around....

grimupnorthLondon Fri 15-Dec-17 20:50:39

Good point Screaming - I assume it was. I think I preferred google’s version.

Surely if he had meant the message for me it would have been in English. Do you think I was out of order to use Uber for something like this? Or is he out of order to slag me off? Or (c) should I just move on with my life?

ScreamingValenta Fri 15-Dec-17 20:56:33

I think he was moaning to a mate, and sent the message to you by mistake. I've never used Uber, so don't know the etiquette, but it isn't as though you asked him to carry it for you, or that it was something that would mess up his boot, so doesn't sound unreasonable - but I suppose everyone has the occasional work-moan about nothing very major, so I'd just write it off as one of those things and forget about it (other than the interesting Google version, which was inspiring grin )

frieda909 Fri 15-Dec-17 21:03:50

Oh that’s weird. I always thought they could only call you through the app, so they never got your actual number. I really don’t like the thought of every uber driver I use getting my phone number! shock

frieda909 Fri 15-Dec-17 21:06:49

Ah ok, this answers my question! (From the uber website)

The number you see listed for the rider is not the rider's actual phone number. Similarly, when you call or text, riders will not your personal phone number. Instead, they'll see a unique anonymous number. For safety purposes Uber uses a number randomization software so that riders and drivers never actually have each other's personal phone number.

So it seems like it would be quite difficult for him to text you by accident confused He would have had to go into his app and message you from there.

grimupnorthLondon Fri 15-Dec-17 21:19:32

Ah that’s interesting Frieda. Am slightly tempted to text him back and say that I read Greek but he does know where I live and, as Screaming says, everyone likes a work moan.

Booboostwo Fri 15-Dec-17 21:44:41

If you decide to text back write

Kourastikes polu na me koitas na kouvalao?

Did you get very tired watching me carry stuff?

Booboostwo Fri 15-Dec-17 21:45:49

PS I bet you anything that replying in Greek will turn you from annoying foreigner to sacred compatriot whom he failed to help - a massive sin!

Liara Fri 15-Dec-17 21:50:02

Maybe he was texting someone who was waiting telling them why he was delayed? Someone complaining that he was taking too long for the ride and he said it was because his previous fare was carrying a fuckload of plaster from b&q?

grimupnorthLondon Fri 15-Dec-17 21:59:25

Booboostwo thank you! I have to text him now

Liars, I held him up for a maximum of 2.5 minutes each end (probably less) so I don’t think he was massively inconvenienced

ScreamingValenta Fri 15-Dec-17 22:02:04

Please report back when you have, grim! I love Booboo's theory that you'll then be his beloved compatriot (or flamboyant frog) grin

BrizzleDrizzle Fri 15-Dec-17 22:05:27

Can you reply in Greek asking if he is crazy frog?

grimupnorthLondon Fri 15-Dec-17 22:24:32

Bother. I think the messaging system may only work while you are on the trip or just after. I got a bounce back from Uber saying they don’t know who I am trying to message. What a shame

ScreamingValenta Fri 15-Dec-17 22:27:04

Perhaps you'll get him again on another booking! I would say you could memorise Booboo's phrase, but then you'd be stuck if he started chatting away to you in Greek.

grimupnorthLondon Fri 15-Dec-17 22:37:59

That would be good but I hardly ever use Uber - this was an emergency as I was expecting the adhesive to be like bags of flour I could put in my backpack and they turned out to be 20kg sacks that I couldn’t really take on the bus....

ScreamingValenta Fri 15-Dec-17 22:40:04

That must have been a real 'aargh' moment, grim!

grimupnorthLondon Fri 15-Dec-17 22:50:07

It was. I am clearly an idiot for not noticing the weight when I ordered them online. The 13 year old who served me was clearly a bit alarmed as I struggled out with my trolley - he asked “sure you can manage love” in the tone I imagine he uses to address his grandmother (I am 43)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: