Advanced search

To think this is really unfair (NHS related)

(68 Posts)
Worldeatsboy Fri 15-Dec-17 14:18:40

I have name changed as this quite outing.

I lived in chester all my life which is on the welsh border, when i got pregnant with DD (now 9 months old) her dad wanted nothing to do with her and was an abusive arsehole so i got no help from him.

I was living with my mum and dad and working full time in an admin role, they said i could stay whilst i got used to mother hood and to help me through pregnancy but it wasnt a long term solution (fair enough)

In the summer when i was looking to move rental prices in chester were extortionate and as i was living with my parents in a 4 bed house the council wouldnt house me as i was adequately housed (again fair enough)

So i ended up moving about 10 miles away to a little village just (literally JUST) over the welsh border as rental prices in wales are much cheaper. I left all my friends and family etc but needs must.

I suffer terrible with anxiety and depression and am currently undergoing counscelling (for past abuse as a child) and im on a waiting list for a high intensity CBT course.

I only.moved the end of august and then started back at work 4 days a week the first week in september, and i know people do it and manage very well but it was a lot for me to take on all by myself. I had never lived alone until now.

As you can imagine ive been busy so only got round to changing my address with my doctors today. I wanted to keep the same GP as they are fantastic, its near where i work so i can get there easily enough and i drive. Also mental health services in the northwest are some of the best in the country and north wales the worst (according to statistics)

So i tell the doctors where i moved to only to be told that because its in Wales they wont keep me as a patient, she even said "you could live in london or newcsstle even and keep us as your GP" but because its wales i have to find a welsh GP

Except that means thry have cancelled the rest of my counscelling, north wales dont even offer the type of CBT i was on a waiting list for and i just feel like i was coming to the end of a very long hard road and now that has all been fucked up by some invisible border!

Do you think im over reacting? I just feel so disheartened bu everything, like there was no point in going to hell and back in the last 12 months trying to get better for my DD because in wales they apparently dont care about mental wellbeing.

LipstickHandbagCoffee Fri 15-Dec-17 15:05:25

No your GP is not BU.It’s the devolved parliaments and different funding arrangements
It’s not an invisible border you’re in a different country eg wales
GP paid for work undertaken on contractual basis, and your GP doesn’t serve wales
Ok,so I do appreciate that leaves you without complete therapy course
What does local Cmht and GP offer? Anything phone or online
I get it’s really hard, are there any private places offer reduced fees for low income clients

Worldeatsboy Fri 15-Dec-17 15:05:33


Worldeatsboy Fri 15-Dec-17 15:05:37


Worldeatsboy Fri 15-Dec-17 15:08:59

Sorry cross post with my bump blush
I understand its not my GP it just seems daft to me that i can live 200 miles with no rpoblem but i move 10 and everything gets cancelled and i have to go back to the bottom of 6 month waiting lists.

LipstickHandbagCoffee Fri 15-Dec-17 15:13:45

I can appreciate it’s really difficult for you esp after a long wait
Are there any private practice who do reduced fees or sometimes trainees with supervision see clients

Kursk Fri 15-Dec-17 15:17:15

Could you not just leave the address as your mums address?

Lunde Fri 15-Dec-17 15:19:35

Your GP is only contracted to NHS England - so the practice would not receive payments for patients in Wales

Worldeatsboy Fri 15-Dec-17 15:19:50

I have had a quick look and all sessions seem to be around £40 an hour, after all my bills are paid i have about £300 to buy all food and any other bits we need (clothes days out etc) and i just cant justify spending that much on myself as it would be all our "fun" money

VioletDaze Fri 15-Dec-17 15:20:25

Your GP isn't BU. NHS is devolved to Scotland and Wales and the funding is quite separate, which is why you won't be paying for your prescriptions in Wales, but also means your GP wouldn't receive any funding for you.

It's shit that MH treatment in general is such a total lottery from place to place. We're all lucky to be in the UK and have the NHS at least. Which county are you in?

LipstickHandbagCoffee Fri 15-Dec-17 15:22:17

Yes but some private practices offer extremely reduced rates in evening or if you see trainees
Call up and ask if they will give reduced rate

And no don’t give a fake address to your GP

hollowtree Fri 15-Dec-17 15:24:38

I really wanted to give birth in a certain hospital so I kept my address at my mum's and never changed it so that we could go to the hospital I wanted to. We only moved five minutes down the road but it happens to be a different county as it's crossed the border so it was easier to keep the address as it was! I'm still glad I did

Worldeatsboy Fri 15-Dec-17 15:25:01

I had left my address as my mums but she has just sold her house and moved to a different part of wales 60 miles away from me but still wales so wouldnt help.
Could i move it to a friends address do you think? Would this be fraud?

cricketqueen Fri 15-Dec-17 15:25:54

You now live under a different t NHS. Look at it this way you get free prescriptions now under NHS Wales. I get that it's annoying but it's the rules and your GO can't change them. Give a new gp a try, I live in north Wales and have found the healthcare fine, I've had 4 hospital admissions over the last 3 months and really can't fault their care of my GPS follow up care. Don't dismiss it based on stats go to talk to a Dr first.

FlashTheSloth Fri 15-Dec-17 15:29:33

No dont move it to a friends address hmm. What if you had an emergency and needed to call the GP out and had to say "oh by the way, I actually live in Wales, my registered address is my friend's."

YABU, you live in a different country with different rules, you need to change GP.

StylishDuck Fri 15-Dec-17 15:30:16

I'm amazed they said you could live anywhere in England and still be registered with them. I moved 15 mins drive away and had to change GP a few years back.

But I agree with PP. You are living in a completely different country now, you can't reasonably expect not to have to move GPs.

Worldeatsboy Fri 15-Dec-17 15:34:25

Tbf its not the moving of GP that is the biggest issue i do understand that its a different country its the fact that all my appointments have been cancelled ive been dismissed off everyones services and now have to join waiting lists to get any help which will take months and im just terrified that by then everything will of gone downhill and ill have to start from scratch and all my effort up to now will be wasted when i felt so close to seeing some light at the end of this dark tunnel.

LipstickHandbagCoffee Fri 15-Dec-17 15:38:36

You have not been dismissed on a spurious no longer met the eligibility criteria
I appreciate that’s difficult,but funding for services is commissioned to specific locations
Your move means you can’t access that nhs England funded service
Same as if you moved house and changed countries you’d change School

Viviennemary Fri 15-Dec-17 15:42:37

This is really unfair as it's supposed to be a National Health Service. I'd be furious if I were you. Just cancelling all your appointments just isn't on. I'd be tempted to get another address too. Say you've moved back and give your Mum's address. This is no worse than the way you've been treated.

LipstickHandbagCoffee Fri 15-Dec-17 15:47:48

It’s not unfair in has a devolved parliament with funding for nhs wales
Op had been in nhs England and her GP had funding for the CBT
I’d advise against fake address, she’ll be found out,and if op and her child need a GP emergency home visit she’s given a false address. GP won’t come to the Welsh address

Afternooncatnap Fri 15-Dec-17 15:50:51

It's sucks but that is the system.

I live in Wales and their NHS has a lot of problems. However, if you kick and stamp your feet enough, you can get a GP referal for care I'm England. I did it for my ds. I found the doctor I wanted to see, I twisted the GPS arm until he wrote me a referal, and I wrote a letter to the doctor explaining the situation and asking if he would see me.

Take the name and contact details of the person you want to see for cbt into the gp with the situation clearly written down and then see if the gp will refer you to that person. They will tell you they can't but they can.

Or you could just re-register at your parents address.

SidesofFeet Fri 15-Dec-17 15:51:16

Vivienne, I agree with you, that's what I'd do too.

Sidge Fri 15-Dec-17 15:53:48

It might be a National Health Service but the NHS is so massive you can't expect a united health service across different countries. Especially when said countries (Wales, Scotland and Northern ireland) have devolved their health administration and funding.

she even said "you could live in london or newcsstle even and keep us as your GP" but because its wales i have to find a welsh GP I think she was talking figuratively, not literally. You couldn't really keep your GP in Chester if you moved to London!

I understand how frustrating it is to lose those booked appointments and need to change services but I think the expectation that you could retain them is unrealistic given that you have moved countries, not counties.

Worldeatsboy Fri 15-Dec-17 15:54:53

lipstick you seem to be taking this more personally than me? I thought the NHS was as it says in the name national, national includes Wales.
My GP said if id moved to london for example so long as i understood i wouldnt get home visits it was fine so it seems unfair different rules for wales.
If they could just transfer all my care that would be fine but to have waited for so long and get half way through and have to start from scratch still seems unfair to me.

Sidge Fri 15-Dec-17 15:55:04

If you read the thread properly you'll see her mum is now in Wales too so no point giving her address in England.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: