Talk

Advanced search

How many presents to you buy your kids?

(10 Posts)
Happyhappyveggie Fri 15-Dec-17 13:51:52

Someone said to me the other day that little kids prefer quantity over quality at xmas- as in they like ripping open lots of little presents as opposed to say 2 well thought out presents.
With that in mind- I have got my kids 10 little presents to unwrap- stuff like colouring books, a book to read, selection box, clothes etc and then one big present.
But AIBU to think it’s still a lot? It feels like a lot and while I haven’t spent that much, is it the wrong approach? I already feel like my kids are spoilt and i’m trying hard to teach them the value of stuff and don’t want them behaving like spoilt brats blush especially when some kids might not get as much.
How many presents do your kids get? How much is too much?

Onlyoldontheoutside Fri 15-Dec-17 14:02:41

One main present,some small stuff of things to do,play and a stocking.My DD is a teenager and I still do this bulked with things she needs and a little less plastic tat in the stocking but still the sugar mouse,chocolate coins and satsuma in the toe.

Willow2017 Fri 15-Dec-17 14:09:53

I have never counted them😀
I have a budget and buy what they want from it ( within reason, they know they may not get everything on the list) plus a few surprises and when its gone it's gone. I dont buy extra stuff to make it look more and they get plenty from family as well.

If one gets less presents because theirs cost more thats fine they get that some things cost more. I have never seem them count thier presents either.

Never mind what anyone else says or does. Your Xmas, your kids, your budget and your decision. Am sure your kids will have a lovely Xmas no matter how many presents they get.

Willow2017 Fri 15-Dec-17 14:11:45

But they still get a stocking with satsuma, choc and a book and silly toiletries in it.😀

Babybauble Fri 15-Dec-17 14:14:55

We don't have a set amount of presents, just a budget. My baby had £100, my older two £250 ish each.

Each to their own, I wouldn't worry about spoiling them due to stocking fillers. I also wouldn't worry like some do if there is enough

CablesCables Fri 15-Dec-17 14:15:17

The two youngest are getting two "big" presents, a fancy dress outfit, some books and a stocking each. The oldest asked for a bigger main present so he's getting that, some books and a stocking. The stockings are very full though. Mine are quite young. The house is overrun with toys. They've so far seemed happy, so I'm not giving them tonnes.

BatShite Fri 15-Dec-17 14:15:57

Ours have 10 each. Might add in a couple of selection boxes or something too. And a stocking.

NewtsSuitcase Fri 15-Dec-17 14:19:03

Everyone will do things differently. And there is no right or wrong. Mine get quite a few but literally get nothing at any other time of the year apart from their birthday and lots of the presents are things they need anyway, pants, socks, new coat, new schoolbag, pyjamas etc.

hungryhippo90 Fri 15-Dec-17 14:35:27

Honestly, all that matters is they are getting stuff they LOVE.

caringcarer Fri 15-Dec-17 14:49:07

My kids are grown up but we ask them what they would like for £100. They also have a stocking which tbh usually has similar stuff each year: nice toiletries, Toblerone, de-icer/scraper/Starwars airfresh, chocolate orange, socks, pants, Xmas T-shirt, lounge pants, hoodie, Blu Ray, selection pack and a couple of other bits and bobs. This year a food pedi for one dc. We could easily afford more but they earn their own money so don't go short of things. We concentrate on trying to make the dinner perfect and I cook all of their kiddy favourite things like ginger Xmas cookies and homemade fudge. They had more when they were younger.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now