Talk

Advanced search

to not find this funny?

(76 Posts)
KnowItNo Fri 15-Dec-17 13:18:53

Got a spam/marketing email today from an online site to find local professional services with tips on how to avoid stress over the festive season (e.g. use our service to find x, don't go shopping in department stores, don't bother with wrapping presents in the guise of being environmentally-friendly etc.)

I would never normally read these emails and go straight to 'unsubscribe', but they have put a gif at the top of the email to catch your attention. It's a gif of a woman throwing bits of popcorn at a man and as she doesn't stop when he tells her to he smashes her in the face with the Christmas tree.

Although you don't see this in the email, turns out It's staged and there seem to be a couple of other scenarios (same actors, same outcome) on you tube.

Obviously I'm going to unsubscribe as normal from their marketing mail list, but feeling tempted to send them a message too... Just don't appreciate the "joke" of a festive comedy sketch about DV fconfused

www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8MjqCTTCYU

AngelsSins Fri 15-Dec-17 13:41:17

Eugh, not funny at all...I actually thought she might hit her head on the hard flooring when he knocks her back with the tree, but it cuts away.

Sanshin Fri 15-Dec-17 13:51:17

Awful and not funny at all - since when has domestic violence ever been funny?

YANBU

witchofzog Fri 15-Dec-17 14:09:17

Definitely not funny. It's not even slapstick. He sounds really quite angry

TeoTorriateKonomamaiko Fri 15-Dec-17 14:12:26

She is being really annoying though.

Wishfulmakeupping Fri 15-Dec-17 14:14:40

God that's horrible

TestingTestingWonTooFree Fri 15-Dec-17 14:18:10

Not funny.

DiscotequeJuliet Fri 15-Dec-17 14:23:30

Ugh that's awful

CircleofWillis Fri 15-Dec-17 14:35:06

Absolutely write and complain. Someone on the marketing team has extremely bad judgement.

Peachypossum Fri 15-Dec-17 14:37:40

That is horrible, and I agree that he does sound really angry. I cant understand the point of to at all.

She is being really annoying though oh, thats ok then. hmm

Worriedrose Fri 15-Dec-17 14:45:14

Wow that's fucked up
I agree it's really vicious and he sounds very angry

It might be funny in a slapstick way if he put a fake pie in her face.

maras2 Fri 15-Dec-17 14:47:12

Holy crap!
That's made me feel quite ill envy not envy
she is being annoying WTAF angry

hollowtree Fri 15-Dec-17 14:49:31

What the actual hell? This is sickening

user1474652148 Fri 15-Dec-17 14:51:52

Domestic violence is really not remotely funny. It is much worse at Christmas too 😢

ThymeLord Fri 15-Dec-17 14:53:22

She is being really annoying though

Oh well, that makes it OK then doesn't it. FFS.

onalongsabbatical Fri 15-Dec-17 14:55:38

It's vile. Yes, send them a message. In fact, if you either tell us here who they are or PM me, I'll send them one, too.
They need to know they've crossed a line.

DramaAlpaca Fri 15-Dec-17 14:56:00

That was horrible, really uncomfortable to watch & not in the least bit funny.

BestestBrownies Fri 15-Dec-17 15:02:31

Jesus christ! That is not remotely funny. Name & shame OP so we can all write and tell them what we think of their 'hilarious' attempt to normalise/excuse DV marketing

Spangles1963 Fri 15-Dec-17 15:09:26

She is being really annoying though.
So that's ok then..... shock

Intercom Fri 15-Dec-17 15:17:11

YANBU

MammaAgata Fri 15-Dec-17 15:17:48

Jesus.. my heart is racing watching those. And I haven't been a victim of domestic violence (although a angry violent stepfather in my childhood). Not even slightly funny, in fact in so many ways I wish I hadn't watched that.. definitely write to them, in fact name them here and we'll all write to them. Truly awful

spiderlight Fri 15-Dec-17 15:18:21

That is absolutely horrible!!

wrenika Fri 15-Dec-17 15:18:31

...to be fair, I'd have thumped her...

It's not all that funny, but it's also not a big deal. It's hardly normalising DV. Lighten up people! (...and if you're that worried, don't throw popcorn or whip your DP with a towel repeatedly...we're all grown ups, we can manage act that way!)

CircleofWillis Fri 15-Dec-17 15:23:54

Wrenika
It's hardly normalising DV. Lighten up people! (...and if you're that worried, don't throw popcorn or whip your DP with a towel repeatedly...we're all grown ups, we can manage act that way!)
It is absolutely normalising DV. You are further normalising it by suggesting that the huge overreactions to annoying behaviour is appropriate. "Look what you made me do".

KnowItNo Fri 15-Dec-17 15:25:38

The sketches themselves were made by an American "you tube and instagram sensation" with millions of subscribers.

As for the email, I'm based in France, and it turns out it is a French start-up with an international presence and they do have a UK site and branch:

www.starofservice.co.uk/team#/

I am going to respond directly to the email digs out dusty french grammar book so as not to ruin my angry message with linguistic errors and send an email in English to the seemingly all-male team.

I was pretty shocked when I opened the email - good to know I wasn't overreacting.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: