Talk

Advanced search

About birthday / Christmas money?

(10 Posts)
puglife15 Fri 15-Dec-17 00:46:48

My DCs(5 and 2) don't get and never have got any money for bday or Christmas, yet friends and people on here often talk about how they plan to spend it!

Where does this money come from, the parents? What age does it start? What amounts? Are we BU not giving it??

Glovebug Fri 15-Dec-17 00:49:17

Ours is normally from grandparents and aunts/uncles

Glovebug Fri 15-Dec-17 00:50:07

Sometimes the odd fanily friend sends a card with money

pioe Fri 15-Dec-17 01:01:07

Other relatives mainly great grandparents and people not close enough to give a gift

SleepingStandingUp Fri 15-Dec-17 01:11:38

Relatives who don't know what to buy? DPIL's are buying one present for DS and putting tube rest on the bank for him. The could equally give it us to spend on him but she knows he lives in a bloody toy shop so doesn't need more stuff.
If anyone shoves a five in a card instead of a present either wait and see in the sales if anything they really want gets missed or put it aside for later in the year

Donnerkebabbler Fri 15-Dec-17 01:16:33

My parents and sister. Presents when little bit cash once he became a weapon of mass comsumption

CheapSausagesAndSpam Fri 15-Dec-17 01:35:42

Mine do a bit....from Grandparents in the main though for big birthdays they might get some cash from Aunts or Uncles.

kmc1111 Fri 15-Dec-17 02:30:04

We always gave some money (as well as regular gifts) to my DC on their birthdays and Christmas, so they could choose something themselves, and often family friends and more distant relations would give a little cash in a card.

We gave the DC cash because we wanted them to get used to making financial choices as early as possible. We gave them pocket money too, but getting a 'large' amount of money at one time is a different thing. The first couple of years they went mad and spent it on huge amounts of cheap crap. Then they learnt their lesson and became more discerning. By about 6-7 they were carefully budgeting what percentage they would save for a big item, and what percentage they'd spend now. It's an easy way to teach some important lessons basically.

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 15-Dec-17 02:52:34

GF and SIL here. DParents also give money but that's for education savings so DD can't spend it.

puglife15 Sun 17-Dec-17 07:05:03

Ah ok. We are clearly from "present" families as apart from when he was born getting some money for baby things we've never had any cash. No gifts or cards from distant replies so wouldn't get cash from them either.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: