No it's an old tradition.

Smeaton Thu 14-Dec-17 18:34:23

Nope, been around for a very long time.

Orange is the world.
Toothpicks are the seasons
Fruits are the fruits of the earth
red ribbon is Jesus blood
Candle is the light of the lord
All a good way to wasye a perfectly good orange.

ssd Thu 14-Dec-17 18:36:33

but what is it??

ssd Thu 14-Dec-17 18:37:08

is it an orange?

thetwinkletoescollective Thu 14-Dec-17 18:37:17

Hello,
Its a symbol to represent that Jesus is the Light of the World.

We always had a Christingle service at school when I was at primary school and that was 30 odd years ago.

A google search told me that it started in 1747 but became popular in the UK in 1968.

A Christingle usually consists of:

-An orange, representing the world
-A candle pushed into the centre of the orange, then lit, representing Jesus Christ as Light of the World
-A red ribbon wrapped around the orange or a paper frill around the candle, representing the blood of Christ
- Dried fruits and/or sweets skewered on cocktail sticks pushed into the orange, representing the fruits of the earth and the four seasons. Cloves can be added as well.

smile

FuzzyCustard Thu 14-Dec-17 18:38:22

What smeaton said (apart from the waste of an orange) It's a lovely tradition.

RestingGrinchFace Thu 14-Dec-17 18:38:40

I thought that you meant Kriskringle. I've never heard of christingke before. Very nicez

thetwinkletoescollective Thu 14-Dec-17 18:38:41

Yes its an orange with a candle in the top and other things skewered into it using cocktail sticks.

SDTGisAnEvilWolefGenius Thu 14-Dec-17 18:39:11

A quick google will find you lots of information.

ReinettePompadour Thu 14-Dec-17 18:39:18

I believe its a mouldy orange which represents the world with a candle shoved inside representing the light of Jesus and a red ribbon tied around the middle thats the blood of christ.

Im not sure what the cloves/sweets represent that are usually sticking out of it.

The church give them out to all the dc at Christmas. My dc lovingly display theirs on their windowsill until it leaks soggy sticky mush then it goes in the bin. This process takes about 2 days a week. I dont know the actual reason for Christingle.

Miloarmadillo2 Thu 14-Dec-17 18:41:30

You can eat the orange afterwards. Waste not, want not. It raises money for the Children's Society. Children are given a cardboard candle moneybox to fill with coins, which they exchange for a Christingle.

Oblomov17 Thu 14-Dec-17 18:42:39

We go to the christingle service on Christmas Eve. It's my favourite. All the children get an orange.

BarbaraofSevillle Thu 14-Dec-17 18:44:24

I remember them making Christingle oranges on Blue Peter, circa 1980 so not new by any stretch.

10storeylovesong Thu 14-Dec-17 18:45:52

I'm 35 and have gone to Christingle every year of my life. It's a lovely tradition which I now do with my children. It now raises money for The Children's Society and is always a full house in our church (to the point that they have to shut the doors and disappoint people!).

Toddlerteaplease Thu 14-Dec-17 18:47:04

Happy days, toasting the marshmallows in the candle flame!

RavenWings Thu 14-Dec-17 18:47:33

I've never seen a Christingle before - have a vague notion of hearing about them before, though. Is it more of a thing in the UK, I wonder? I'm in Ireland.

missyB1 Thu 14-Dec-17 18:48:15

My ds school does christingle every year, I will go to it tomorrow morning, I love it.

ssd Thu 14-Dec-17 18:48:49

thanks

we're not religious at all, maybe thats why I hadn't heard of it till I read about it on here

TheSpottedZebra Thu 14-Dec-17 19:17:27

It's certainly a Church of England thing, missy

Fekko Thu 14-Dec-17 19:19:35

I used to have to buy the sweets for them when I worked for the c of e. Dolly mixtures and mini marshmallows work best!

Battleax Thu 14-Dec-17 19:19:48

You're lucky ssd. I remember having to draw them twice at primary school and then again in early secondary RE. Always drawing them and never making them sad

ssd Thu 14-Dec-17 19:21:14

maybe it because I'm in Scotland I haven't heard of this?

bruffin Thu 14-Dec-17 19:22:32

I used to take dc to Christingle have mincepies in the church hall after the home to put up christmas decorations, ours was alwzys 2 sundays before xmas in the afternoon.

Battleax Thu 14-Dec-17 19:23:20

Maybe. They were only popularised in UK 50 years ago according to this;

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christingle

Maybe the Scottish Churches didn't fancy it?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: