Talk

Advanced search

Unemplyable Me

(10 Posts)
Catsarecruel Thu 14-Dec-17 17:43:12

AIBU or should all people with or without disabilities be judged on the best person for the job

chickenowner Thu 14-Dec-17 17:44:39

Yes of course.

But maybe you're not the best person for the job.

Catsarecruel Thu 14-Dec-17 17:46:32

I think it's great that people are being given help to search for jobs but given that there is so much unemployment then who knows who "deserves" it most whether they are disabled or not

Namechangetempissue Thu 14-Dec-17 17:51:12

Yes, absolutely. It should be the person who fits the role best, along with factors like if they will fit with the team (if applicable). I have employed many people over the years, and have had employees who are profoundly deaf, have mobility issues and cerebral palsy. ALL were employed as they were the right fit for the role and were a good fit.

redexpat Thu 14-Dec-17 17:53:27

Well my caseworker at the job center told me quite firmly that you dont know why youre not picked. It could be that they need a certain personality type in the team and they have 3 of your type already. So sometimes its not about the best person for the job but best fit for the job. But yes annoying especially if there is some kind of discrimination.

redexpat Thu 14-Dec-17 17:54:50

Although where I am people with disabilities are entitled to come to interview for jobs they apply for.

Namechangetempissue Thu 14-Dec-17 18:12:54

The fit is very important. You could have a the qualifications in the world, but if you need to work as part of a team and can't, or need an outgoing persona but are very shy and couldn't bear to speak up in front if other people then you might not be the best suited for a role. I never used to pre-judge from a CV, the face to face is so important and while some people might not have years of prior experience in a role, they could have a brilliant attitude and enthusiasm towards the role that would make up for that. Its difficult! Can you tell us more about what you applying for? Any feedback you have had? What you would like to do? Maybe we can help?

Catsarecruel Thu 14-Dec-17 18:30:32

I think the programme is doing good but at the same time there are many other people who also feel unemployable (oil sector etc) who need jobs

RavingRoo Thu 14-Dec-17 18:33:13

My last boss is paralyzed, in a wheelchair, and only came into the office three times a month. He was still promoted and is now a very successful CEO. I have also had bosses who were blind, deaf, and with aspergers too.

It’s about finding the right job not just finding any job and you do need to be prepared to apply for big organisations with entrenched diversity policies.

Sparklesocks Thu 14-Dec-17 18:43:53

I suppose it’s important to remember that some people with disabilities don’t even get the opportunity to be ‘the best person for the job’. Employers regularly discriminate, consciously or unconsciously, against disabilities and people with them have to overcome that barrier before they can even prove the are qualified. Employable me and similar things are not giving them a leg up, they’re merely levelling the playing field.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now