Talk

Advanced search

To ask how you get out of bed everyday?

(68 Posts)
raindropsfallingonmyhead Thu 14-Dec-17 08:00:33

How do you drag yourself out of bed on these cold winters mornings?

I snooze my alarms at least 6 times and always get up as late as possible without making DC late for school but obviously it's then a mad rush to get everything done and i'd quite like to spend some time with them in the mornings. I'm extremely tired and am having blood tests to see if there may be a cause but in the meantime id really like to try and help myself.

Any top tips to not make getting out of bed such a chore?

Littlelambpeep Thu 14-Dec-17 08:04:03

I think you just have to jump . having a coffee on my own in quiet motivates me

Lweji Thu 14-Dec-17 08:04:57

Make sure you get to bed early enough and have enough hours of sleep (unlike me) and make sure the room isn't too cold in the morning.

Spending time with the children in the morning is overrated, though. If you can get out of the house in time and no major dramas, you're doing well. Chat during breakfast or during the morning walk or drive.
Which means that you set your alarm to a realistic time and get up only after one snooze.

MarmaladeIsMyJam Thu 14-Dec-17 08:05:32

Are the kids still asleep? What time do you go to bed? What time do you need to be up?

Mayhemmumma Thu 14-Dec-17 08:06:21

Get everything packed and ready night before, clothes and uniform laid out for you as well. Then snooze away! You could even put out breakfast stuff . Go to bed half hour earlier if you can.

peachgreen Thu 14-Dec-17 08:07:09

Sunrise lamp. Changed my life, genuinely. I get up at 6 with no problems whatsoever, and I used to practically cry getting up in the morning.

falange Thu 14-Dec-17 08:07:20

None whatsoever. Just thought I'd tell you you're not alone. I wake up naturally very early. I don't use an alarm. And I get up. But then I shower, make a coffee and go back to bed to drink coffee and let body moisturiser sink in. Then I can't get out of bed. Mainly because I sit and read mumsnet for ages. But it's so cold and dark I don't want to leave my bed or the house.

flumpybear Thu 14-Dec-17 08:08:53

I usually play on my phone til I need the loo and have to get up!

PurplePillowCase Thu 14-Dec-17 08:11:11

just get up and go.
I get up early so I can have a shower and cuppa before I have to get up dc.

strugglingtodomybest Thu 14-Dec-17 08:11:49

I'll second the sunrise lamp! It's been amazing. I still hate getting up but at least I'm half awake when I do.

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 14-Dec-17 08:11:53

early bed, no alcohol, vitamin d and I put my clothes on the radiator so that they are warmed up and more enticing to get into.

museumum Thu 14-Dec-17 08:14:15

I have a sunrise lamp. I still have to use the alarm on it but at least now when it goes off I’m in a lighter sleep and know what’s going on.
I’m the kind of person that without that my alarm is a terrifying thing and it takes me ages to even work out what the noise is let alone what it means I’m supposed to do.

InfiniteSheldon Thu 14-Dec-17 08:15:01

Stay in bed until I am so desperate for a wee I have to get up. Put dressing gown and socks and, this is the crucial bit, don't get back into bed

LittleLights Thu 14-Dec-17 08:17:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sludgecolours Thu 14-Dec-17 08:17:30

Agree with preparing stuff the night before so getting up isn't so daunting. Flylady is good on this. Leave your kitchen sink clean and clear the night before (much nicer than having to face dirty pots in the morning) and lay out everyone's clothes/pack bags/be organised if you are making lunches etc. Basically, minimise all early morning decision-making! Hope your blood tests come back ok op!

Strummerville Thu 14-Dec-17 08:20:13

have a sunrise lamp. I still have to use the alarm on it but at least now when it goes off I’m in a lighter sleep and know what’s going on

Same here. The difference is amazing compared to last winter, when I really struggled to get up in the dark after being jolted out of sleep by just a normal alarm.

Microwaved111 Thu 14-Dec-17 08:22:40

If I could I would just keep sleeping in a dark room in till the very last moment. But I have a 5 mo dd who likes to gabber away in her crib next to me until I put the light on grin

Cantuccit Thu 14-Dec-17 08:25:21

Can someone recommend a good sunrise lamp? Not too pricey?

BobbinThreadbare123 Thu 14-Dec-17 08:26:07

I put everything out ready the night before. When my alarm goes off I spring out of bed and get straight in the shower, turning on lamps on my way to the bathroom. The light and the water force me to wake up properly. Also, I can't snooze my phone alarm as I can't see it without glasses on first thing.

clarkyclarkson Thu 14-Dec-17 08:26:41

Can anyone recommend the best sunrise lamp? Thanks

Anatidae Thu 14-Dec-17 08:26:59

Tips from someone living in a Scandinavian country where daylight is in short supply:

Sunrise lamp - absolutely excellent
Vitamin D supplements
Go to bed early
But really it boils down to: Just get up. No snooze function, no fannying around, just stand up. I cannot bear the bloody snooze function, it’s like being tormented. Alarm goes off, you move. Do t even think about it.

Or...
Borrow a toddler. Mine is particularly effective in warding off all forms of lie in and has been successfully waking me in the pre- dawn hours since birth.

Lethaldrizzle Thu 14-Dec-17 08:27:37

Exercise and early nights

frumpety Thu 14-Dec-17 08:28:18

The cat wakes me anywhere between 04.45 and 05.20am , swear at cat quietly , ignore him for about 10 minutes , am then desperate for a wee so get up , same routine 52 weeks of the year .

LtGreggs Thu 14-Dec-17 08:29:13

Say to yourself the night before "I am going to bed now, and at 6:30 my alarm will go off and I will leap out of bed!". That somehow psychologically prepares you. Then when your alarm goes off, think the hardest thing I have to do it sit up and get out of bed - and sitting up is easy. Then do it.

I.e. pretend you are Pollyanna grin

AnachronisticCorpse Thu 14-Dec-17 08:29:36

Get a dog. If I’m not up by about 6.30 she goes mad to be let upstairs.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: