Talk

Advanced search

Inappropriate? Racist?

(66 Posts)
Dizzyhelterskelter Wed 13-Dec-17 17:23:49

I was in Iceland earlier buying one of those disposable foil turkey trays. The oldish man on the till, who is always very friendly & jovial, said "hey, these are good" and put it on his head pretending it was a hat. Then he said "I'm a Chinaman" and did a "slitty eyes" gesture with his hands. I was a bit taken aback, firstly as he had his bald head on something I was going to put food on and also thought his Chinese impression was rather racist. I didn't say anything and neither did any of the other customers. Instead I just gave a weak smile but was left thinking maybe I should've ticked him off or am I just overreacting??

wherethevioletsgrow Wed 13-Dec-17 17:24:51

Yeah, a wee bit racist.

Cheekyandfreaky Wed 13-Dec-17 17:25:53

Very racist.

Kursk Wed 13-Dec-17 17:27:15

Like you say he is normally nice and jovial. Yes it may not be acceptable by today standards, but I would probably let it go. Everyone make the occasional joke which goes down badly.

HolyMacaroni4 Wed 13-Dec-17 17:27:37

It's not a bit racist. It's completely racist.

Cheekyandfreaky Wed 13-Dec-17 17:28:16

It’s really difficult sometimes, but try to give a really blank reaction. I understand sometimes a smile can pop up automatically when you just want to be nice, but he was a prick.

Humpsfor20yards Wed 13-Dec-17 17:29:01

What a twat. He could have done with a 'stop being a twat' but like you I probably would have been too taken aback to do anything.

DailyMailReadersAreThick Wed 13-Dec-17 17:30:40

Yes it may not be acceptable by today standards, but I would probably let it go.

By non-racist standards, you mean?

RestingGrinchFace Wed 13-Dec-17 17:30:48

It is racist but it would be overreacting to tell him off. There are two kinds of racist jokers. Insidious 'I do it to hurt others' racists and bumbling fools who embarrass themselves racists. This man clearly falls into the latter category. The idea of his head touching the turkey tray is making me feel a bit woozy though. I hope he bought it.

Dizzyhelterskelter Wed 13-Dec-17 17:36:44

Yes, Resting, more bumbling fool I reckon. I will give the tray a good wash.

highinthesky Wed 13-Dec-17 17:40:41

You need to introduce him to the 21st century.

DuggeeHugs Wed 13-Dec-17 17:47:15

Completely racist and you should have said so. It's the sort of thing my kids shouldn't have to encounter in the 21st century but thanks to people continually excusing bumbling fools because they're normally nice (in this case nice if you don't happen to be ethnically Chinese) they will encounter it. I'm going to have my work cut out helping them deal with (1) racist crap and (2) people who make excuses for it.

NavyGold Wed 13-Dec-17 17:48:27

There are two kinds of racist jokers. Insidious 'I do it to hurt others' racists and bumbling fools who embarrass themselves racists.

Racism is racism, whatever "kind" people want to categorise it as. The fact that people spend time mulling over a non existent sliding scale is why people like him feel like it's ok to behave that way. People excuse it because of "jovial" personalities. None of it is ok.

Fekko Wed 13-Dec-17 17:48:36

Was it prince Philip?

Creature2017 Wed 13-Dec-17 17:50:38

Doing an impression of anyone is rude but I think you did the right thing. No point in making a scene, We're British after all so we don't make other people feel uncomfortable. It's the British way.

Bobbins43 Wed 13-Dec-17 17:52:40

This is BULLSHIT. I get that in the moment you can be totally taken by surprise and not say anything but that was SERIOUSLY racist. It's not acceptable. At all.

Mumof56 Wed 13-Dec-17 17:53:07

Was he a priest called Ted?

FatherChewieLouie Wed 13-Dec-17 17:54:43

Mumof56 that's what I was thinkinggrin

Nomoresugar Wed 13-Dec-17 17:57:21

Swap the turkey tray

Agerbilatemycardigan Wed 13-Dec-17 17:58:04

My DDs are part chinese, and this sort of thing is immensely hurtful. They have all suffered from racism, and I'm afraid that I would not only have said something, I would've reported the ignorant arsehole to his superiors.

Bobbins43 Wed 13-Dec-17 17:59:50

You can always go back and report him.

Janetjanetjanet Wed 13-Dec-17 18:01:44

Very racist yea.

Janetjanetjanet Wed 13-Dec-17 18:02:08

Did you buy the tray in the end?

ToadOfSadness Wed 13-Dec-17 19:19:36

Surely you would wash the tray anyway?

I assume he was pretending to wear it like a Coolie hat, and didn't intend to be racist.

NotACleverName Wed 13-Dec-17 19:21:18

Yes it's racist, and age is not an excuse as to why someone shouldn't be educated.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: