Talk

Advanced search

Considering not turning up for meeting, what would happen?

(77 Posts)
SMJYellow Wed 13-Dec-17 16:33:55

My current 'work' situation is a bit of a mess.

I 'work' for a neighbour. I was taken on as a childminder. One of their children has a disability and she eventually discovered about the carers benefit and looked into things. Basically she worked her way out from paying me a way, getting the benefit as an income for me.

I was happy for a long time but down through the years so much was chopped and changed. So much more jobs left on me with requests to do the laundry and cook the meals. Sometimes the hours were just absolutely and utterly insane and just quite simply not even finishing for days on end.

I was looking for work for the past while but no luck and I hope to resume in the new year.

A situation came about earlier in the year where the youngest child was diagnosed on the ASD spectrum. Are you following me so far? So they have two children now with disabilities.

Anyways the mother filled out a new carers form with my name and details for the youngest child. Got me to sign it and she sent it in. So it's for an additional carers payment.

What I read on the form made me sick to my stomach. She claimed that I was minding this child for 48 hours a week. Which is not true at all. The child goes to crèche 5 mornings a week and then there are alternative arrangements for after her morning crèche.

I felt pressurised in signing the form.

I forgot things really for a while. I just got on with it. There was no progress by the department at fulfilling the claim. Things are slow where I am in Ireland.

So anyways I called for a meeting with an inspector and to be honest it fills me with pure sickness and dread.

I don't want to lie but my neighbours are pushing me in this direction but this will be fraud as far as I can see because I'm not caring for the child for the amount of hours stated.

Everything is above board with the original set up and carers allowance and older child.

I'm thinking about cancelling but would anyone know what the department would do I was to cancel meeting. Would they cut off the original carers allowance. I got the carers payment as usual this week and I need it to come in as usual too for next week for the Christmas.

curryforbreakfast Wed 13-Dec-17 16:43:42

You've already committed fraud. You're in it up to your neck, you've been claiming things you're not entitled to.
Not turning up is not going to get you out of this mess, they are already investigating you if they have called you for a meeting.

Mooey89 Wed 13-Dec-17 16:46:21

I would go and be honest about what hours you do! Otherwise you will be complicit in her fraud

SMJYellow Wed 13-Dec-17 16:48:13

I'm not in the UK, I'm in Ireland so things would be slightly different.

I met the qualifying conditions, hours and means test with the original carers.

chickenowner Wed 13-Dec-17 16:48:57

I agree, go and be honest. Otherwise you are just going to get into more trouble.

curryforbreakfast Wed 13-Dec-17 16:49:45

My comment was pertaining to Ireland hmm

3luckystars Wed 13-Dec-17 16:50:10

Go to the meeting, tell the truth. I hope you will be ok x

SMJYellow Wed 13-Dec-17 16:50:42

Thanks Mikey,

You reckon I should turn up and tell the truth. The neighbour filled it out and things have changed since signing and be honest with the hours. Thanks.

Everything is above board with the original carers situation.

VladmirsPoutine Wed 13-Dec-17 16:54:24

How does this work? Can someone explain simply what has been happening?

SMJYellow Wed 13-Dec-17 16:58:09

Sorry, meant to be mooey,

Thanks for all the other replies too. Ok, i think I will turn up an be honest.

curryforbreakfast Wed 13-Dec-17 16:58:12

The neighbour filled it out and things have changed since signing and be honest with the hours

That isn't true though. you said she filled in the form with total lies, and you signed it and it was submitted. That was some time ago....you have committed fraud.

SMJYellow Wed 13-Dec-17 17:00:04

Valdimir,

I'm a carer for a neighbour. Here in Ireland, one doesn't need to live with the person they are caring for but must live close by within a certain distance to qualify.

VladmirsPoutine Wed 13-Dec-17 17:03:35

Who organised the meeting? Them or you or her?

curryforbreakfast Wed 13-Dec-17 17:03:46

They must also not lie on the forms and claim for hours they do not provide caring for.

dingdongdigeridoo Wed 13-Dec-17 17:05:35

I agree that it's time to tell the truth. If the child is going to a creche, it's going to be easy for them to find that out.

KittiKat Wed 13-Dec-17 17:05:36

Who is responsible for the child whilst they are at creche? If it is you that has to be on standby if the creche say "come and get them as they are not well", then I cannot see why those hours cannot be claimed as your time as well.

sonjadog Wed 13-Dec-17 17:09:07

Don't cancel the meeting. They aren't just going to day "okay" and forget about it. This is something you will have to face sooner or later, so make it sooner.

Welshmaenad Wed 13-Dec-17 17:09:32

So you're caring for the original child for a minimum of 35 hours a week and are just getting the £60-ish a week CA???

SMJYellow Wed 13-Dec-17 17:10:09

I presume the meeting is in relation to the additional person claim that was sent in and not fulfilles yet by the department due to long waiting times.

highinthesky Wed 13-Dec-17 17:10:53

Fraud is fraud. Whether its in the UK or Eire, it comes down to intent....

What is your intent, OP? Don't be complicit, be on the side of the angels.

Gemini69 Wed 13-Dec-17 17:11:12

reading your Neighbours actions has left me feeling sick to my stomach ... disgusting behaviour .. do not be a party to this Fraud any longer ... fhmm

curryforbreakfast Wed 13-Dec-17 17:11:37

hen I cannot see why those hours cannot be claimed as your time as well
they can't. You ahve to be directly actually caring for the child. If they are at creche, you are not.
So you're caring for the original child for a minimum of 35 hours a week and are just getting the £60-ish a week CA???
Ireland doesn't have pounds and thats not the amount.

Jaxhog Wed 13-Dec-17 17:11:50

I didn't entirely follow this. Are you saying you work different hours to those on the form? Or that you don't get paid for the hours you actually do? Who's responsibility is it to tell them that your hours have changed?

If she's receiving payment for hours she isn't paying you, then I'd assume she's in trouble, not you. You aren't benefiting from the fraud.

SMJYellow Wed 13-Dec-17 17:12:36

Kittikat, i do need to be on standby alright.

unfortunateevents Wed 13-Dec-17 17:13:53

OP, you would be better of posting this on an Irish forum because it doesn't matter how many times you say it, posters will forget and give you advice which is pertinent to the UK. HOWEVER, what does not change from country to county is the fact that burying your head in the sand about fraud (because that is what this is) is not going to make it go away! You have to go to this meeting. You also need to tell your neighbour that you have been called to this meeting and that you are all going to be investigated. It's not clear from your post if the payments for the second child are already coming through or if the money you are talking about pertains only to the first child?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: