Talk

Advanced search

To shove DS 8 months in front of TV

(109 Posts)
RadioGaGoo Wed 13-Dec-17 13:24:44

.... for an episode of Peppa Pig whilst I take 15 minutes? He's been non stop today!

DianaPrincessOfThemyscira Wed 13-Dec-17 13:43:46

Why would it be a problem.

DianaPrincessOfThemyscira Wed 13-Dec-17 13:44:19

?

Babies don’t spontaneously combust if you’re not constantly entertaining them!

Silverthorn Wed 13-Dec-17 13:44:48

Yabu. His brain will instantly fry.
confused

Pickleypickles Wed 13-Dec-17 13:45:16

hmm

magpiemischief Wed 13-Dec-17 13:48:43

People used to leave them in their prams at the bottom of the garden for hours in my parent's day. How come it is our generation that get all the guilt? You'll hear you baby if they cry.

OuchBollocks Wed 13-Dec-17 13:49:47

YABU cos peppa is only 5 minutes long and insufferable. Use mickey mouse clubhouse or mr tumble, they're 20 minutes long and less annoying. Mr tumble is even educational.

Anatidae Wed 13-Dec-17 13:51:39

Ye gods of course it’s fine.

Leaving them chained in front of the telly for ten hours at the expense of human interaction = bad

Twenty minutes of peppa pig while you sort dinner (or indeed cry quietly in the loo) is absolutely fine. Really.

RadioGaGoo Wed 13-Dec-17 13:54:38

I'm not so worried about the TV aspect (although good to know about the spontaneous combustion), it's more that the majority of people I know warn me about Peppa Pig and its the only thing I can find that's on. Saying that, I doubt at 8 months he knows what's going on.

crackerjacket Wed 13-Dec-17 14:05:53

Warn you about Peppa?

(leans in close to whisper....Are you vegetarian?)

Hillarious Wed 13-Dec-17 14:07:30

Can't you find an old recording of Top of the Pops instead?

KipperBalloon Wed 13-Dec-17 14:09:49

Peppa Pig is truly vile. Do you not have iPlayer?

Ceto Wed 13-Dec-17 14:11:17

Make it Thomas the Tank Engine, guaranteed to keep him entertained.

Mind you, you'll regret it when he's a bit older and demands that you read the stories to him at bedtime.

RadioGaGoo Wed 13-Dec-17 14:17:45

They are a bit ominous, these warnings. The parents lean in and whisper 'don't start him on Peppa Pig, you'll regret it'. I'm too scared to ask.

Anatidae Wed 13-Dec-17 14:19:07

Peppa is hilarious.... really. It works on an adult level as well

Daddy pig picks up phone
‘Bonjour! (French chatter)
Daddy pig passes the phone to mummy pig - ‘the phones broken.’

Hilarious. Really it creases me up.

Lazyafternoon Wed 13-Dec-17 14:41:58

My DS was never that bothered by Peppa Pig. I don't think it's any worse than the massive incompetence of Postman Pat!

But the 20mins Octonauts Specials, or just the infinite cartoon nursery rhyme loop on YouTube.... now that would give me time to actually have a shower! (Him sitting on floor in the bathroom with tablet...I wouldn't trust him for more than 30secs out of sight lol!)

MotherCupboard Wed 13-Dec-17 14:43:34

Baby sensory videos on YouTube. That way you won't have to listen to The Annoying Pig.

WowserBowser Wed 13-Dec-17 14:44:56

I like Peppa Pig. Much prefered it to the Fireman Sam and Paw Patrol stage.

FlyingChristmasTree Wed 13-Dec-17 14:50:31

Peppa pig really is awful!
Try in the night garden, my DS was addicted to it from 6 months until about 2.5!
We even went to the live show! Best money ever spent, his face was amazing!

secretBadSanta Wed 13-Dec-17 14:51:18

Yes because there are plenty of other things that will entertain an 8 month old.

fannythrobbing Wed 13-Dec-17 14:51:32

Nah do it! I went back to work when my daughter was 5.5 months, my partner has issues over housework - can't settle if the dishes need to be done etc so while he was off with her he used to sit her in her high chair in front of either Baby Einstein Baby's first sounds episode or Hey Bear's Popcorn (both on YouTube) I still use them now (she's 1) when I'm home with her and the I'll-scream-til-you-pick-me-up-why-did-you-pick-me-up-DON'T-PUT-ME-DOWN-YOU-UTTER-FOOL-YOU-ARE-DOING-THIS-ALL-WRONG game gets a bit tiring...

MrTrebus Wed 13-Dec-17 14:52:12

Meh my 7 month old watches 2 hours a day tv morning whilst I shower etc and just before bath/bedtime in the evening when she's grumpy and doesn't want to do anything else. I don't see the big deal.

Ecureuil Wed 13-Dec-17 14:55:17

In the Night Garden is a million times worse than Peppa Pig! It’s hideous.

RadioGaGoo Wed 13-Dec-17 15:06:27

Now, you say that Secretbadsanta, but like I said, he's been non stop today. He can normally play quietly by himself for a time, but today he's quite demanding of my attention. So he's had plenty of other things.

RadioGaGoo Wed 13-Dec-17 15:10:20

I've kept the baby sensory videos on YouTube for the car. The poor mite hates the car seat (I've had it and him checked for positioning) and I've tried mirrors, toys, music, singing etc...all to no effect. The only things that prevent him from working himself into a uncontrollable mess are those videos. I only make trips with him when I have to. I do think want to use those outside of the car for fear of diluting their effectiveness!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now