Talk

Advanced search

To tell fibs for a soup recipe

(270 Posts)
Soupreme Wed 13-Dec-17 09:34:29

Last week I was out for my works Xmas lunch. Overall the lunch was pretty decent, but the starter, lentil soup, was out of this world. It was the most amazing soup I've ever tasted! Seriously I almost cried.

The past week I've thought about the soup every night, thinking of how i can get my hands on the recipe.

If I simply phone the restaurant and say OMG your soup was amazing please give me the recipe I'm certain they'll say no.

Is it wrong to say I had a funny reaction to the soup please give me a list of all the ingredients (preferably with quanititesgrin)?

Or could I say I'm coming to your restaurant and I have funny allergies what's in your lentil soup exactly?

Help I need this recipe! The restaurant is a long drive from my work and home so DH will be like I'm not driving ☓ miles for a bowl of soup.

If I don't get this recipe I will regret it forever. Santa if you're up there i take back my request for Dreamgirls tickets please can you get me this recipe!

secretBadSanta Wed 13-Dec-17 09:42:45

The ingredients alone won't help you without methods and quantities.

They're unlikely to tell you if you're basing it on allergies simply because they can't guarantee that there's nothing else in there.

I'm not a bad chef and I'm sure there are others here. What was the exact name of the dish? Any flavours stand out?

The key to 99% of soups is the stock and seasoning.

lemonsandlimes123 Wed 13-Dec-17 09:44:18

Just ask them for the recipe. I have done this before and most restaurants have been happy to send it out. I am assuming you are a bog standard member of the public and not a rival chef though!

JeNeSuisPasVotreMiel Wed 13-Dec-17 09:48:14

I bet sumac was one of the magic ingredients

Soupreme Wed 13-Dec-17 09:59:40

secretbadsanta the dish was just lentil soup. Halfway through I told myself to try to try and identify all the ingredients but before I knew it I'd wolfed the rest down sad

lemon i suppose i could just come out and ask but I'm scared if they say no the door will be closed and the recipe lost forever.

whiskyowl Wed 13-Dec-17 10:02:35

Just ask! They will probably say yes, because a soup that is this good most likely involves a stock that takes hours and hours to get right!!

ValarMorghulisss Wed 13-Dec-17 10:05:21

When you get it, tell us. I love lentil soupsmile

BarbaraofSevillle Wed 13-Dec-17 10:19:54

What was it like? Spicy, creamy, something else?

Was it vegetarian? One of the nicest lentil soups I make is using the leftover water from boiled gammon, which is tasty but obviously not vegetarian.

The lentil soups I make are pretty fab, but all that goes in them are red lentils, a carrot, stick of celery, an onion and marigold powder or ham stock. Sometimes I put in a bit of cumin, coriander, tiny bit of chili and some garam masala if I want a spiced one.

I always see soup, especially lentil, carrot or leek and potato as a bit of a cop out for restaurants really as it's so dirt cheap to make. I'm having crab cakes as my Christmas lunch starter, so much more luxurious and better value, considering that it's all part of the set menu at one price.

packofshunts Wed 13-Dec-17 10:26:54

Do it! Ring the restaurant, get the recipe and share with us!

LaContessaDiPlump Wed 13-Dec-17 10:28:47

I have a lovely lentil soup recipe feom Cinnamon Snail - it includes puy lentils and toasted pine nuts. It is divine!

Soupreme Wed 13-Dec-17 10:37:54

Valar I will definitely share if I get it.

Barbara It wasn't spicy and it wasn't creamy. It wasn't a smooth blended soup but equally it wasn't chunky. I think the vegetables must have been grated. It was greenish in colour but no signs of peas/broccoli or other green veg. Perhaps they used green lentils and this explains the colour? There was no meat in it but I suspect a meat stock may have been used due to the richness of the soup (and the way my taste buds excited when I get a meat hit).

I've just made my mouth water and I'm going to be really disappointed come lunch time when my tuna salad doesn't taste like lentil soup sad

Soupreme Wed 13-Dec-17 10:40:04

Would a phone call or email be better? I've drafted an email praising the excellent service and quality of food along with a request for the recipe but just need the courage to hit send.

IvorBiggun Wed 13-Dec-17 10:43:51

Just email and ask for the recipe. Worst case they’ll say no.

I got the recipe for an amazing cocktail we had in a bar. They sent me the recipe smile

BikeRunSki Wed 13-Dec-17 10:44:36

I feel your pain OP. I’ve been experimenting with trying to replicate the chick pea soup from the IKea restaurant for years.

I make a pretty mean lentil soup though wink

ValarMorghulisss Wed 13-Dec-17 11:26:38

Would a phone call or email be better? I've drafted an email praising the excellent service and quality of food along with a request for the recipe but just need the courage to hit send.

Do it!

Balaboosteh Wed 13-Dec-17 11:39:19

Just ask! They’ll be flattered, you never know.

Balaboosteh Wed 13-Dec-17 11:39:55

And then share it with us! Sounds scrummy!

MammaAgata Wed 13-Dec-17 11:43:47

Just ask them, I’m pretty sure they won’t mind telling you.

Soupreme Wed 13-Dec-17 11:49:20

Ok so I've emailed them, now for the waiting game....

It's been 3 minutes why haven't they responded!!! angry

Cantuccit Wed 13-Dec-17 11:57:36

Oooh, please PM me the recipe too smile

I grew up on lentils!

LoveYouTimMinchin Wed 13-Dec-17 12:04:39

Please share when you get the recipe. I am now starving! I don't make soup but will make an exception for this.

LaBelleSausage Wed 13-Dec-17 12:10:58

Good luck OP!
I hope you get your recipe

Roussette Wed 13-Dec-17 12:28:10

I want the recipe too!

I think it will be down to the stock they use... either chicken or beef, bones, long simmer etc.

I had the most delicious pea and ham hock soup and my BFriend recreated it for a meal and it was just as good!

Anymajordude Wed 13-Dec-17 12:31:40

You'll have to get a job in the kitchens or maybe next time you go, forget your wallet and volunteer to wash up to pay your bill. 😁

Proudmummy9183 Wed 13-Dec-17 12:44:43

Sitting here in anticipation for you op. My own mouth is now watering 😂

Lentil soup = favourite meal!!! Yuuum. Please post the recipe if you get it! wink

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: