Talk

Advanced search

To think a pink mufti day is outdated and downright ridiculous?

(65 Posts)
funnyfoursome Tue 12-Dec-17 21:09:47

So on the school calendar there is a pink mufti day next week for Reception and KS1. Apparently it's because a teacher is going off on maternity and expecting a girl. Thats 180 children who are going to be told ' you need to wear pink today because Mrs X is having a girl'. Maybe just me but I dislike the whole pinkification of girls and everything it stands for ie lesser expectations of girls. In the clothes realm I'm thinking of the rows of scientist/ astronaut tops for boys vs the "I'm pretty/ cute" tops for girls. I understand most people will say pink is just a colour but I do think its unnecessary for a school to reinforce these stereotypes. Any thoughts anyone?

DancesWithOtters Tue 12-Dec-17 21:14:41

That's bloody ridiculous.

YouStoleTheBowlFromTheRoom Tue 12-Dec-17 21:18:29

Yeah, it’s totally naff at best. It’s lovely to want the kids to be involved but I do loathe the whole pink thing, and everything it comes with.

AssassinatedBeauty Tue 12-Dec-17 21:23:40

What? I've never heard of this, it's ridiculous. A dress down day is fine, although I don't think one is necessary just because a teacher is leaving, but why specify pink for a girl?

funnyfoursome Tue 12-Dec-17 21:26:42

I assumed it was a typo on the school calendar tbh!!

Notfastjustfurious Tue 12-Dec-17 21:30:43

What on earth is a mufti? Never heard of this and yes the whole pink thing is ridiculous. How many of us grown women wear pink on a daily basis yet guess what you can still tell we are female.

ScreamingValenta Tue 12-Dec-17 21:35:29

Pretend you thought it was a typo for 'punk' and send your DC to school with a fake mohican grin.

funnyfoursome Tue 12-Dec-17 21:36:07

Sorry its another word for a non uniform day. So basically this is their end of term/ Christmas non uniform day and they are supposed to wear pink

AssassinatedBeauty Tue 12-Dec-17 21:38:00

Mufti is army slang for non uniform I think?

I'd rebel and send them wearing whatever they like.

Glumglowworm Tue 12-Dec-17 21:40:45

How odd! I thought you were going to say it was for breast cancer or something

Notfastjustfurious Tue 12-Dec-17 21:41:27

Ah ok. You know I was imagining that rabbit and wondering how that worked. On reflection though that might be Miffy blush

OhforfucksakeFay Tue 12-Dec-17 21:43:00

Ridiculous gender stereotyping

MissDuke Tue 12-Dec-17 21:45:49

Yes that is miffy haha. I haven't heard of mufti either though, here it is just 'non uniform'.

OP that is crazy!

Somersetter Tue 12-Dec-17 21:47:13

In many parts of the country "mufti" is the normal word for a non-uniform day grin

All pink is ridiculous and quite honestly I wouldn't go along with it.

milliemolliemou Tue 12-Dec-17 21:49:10

This sounds worse than bad. Does the teacher herself know? I'd speak quietly to someone at the school and say an ordinary mufti day would be fine with a small collection for the teacher and/or a card. Point out that 100 years ago it was blue for girls.

SkyIsTooHigh Tue 12-Dec-17 21:49:51

How ridiculous. Someone's probably thought they're being all breaking-down-stereotypes by asking the boys to wear pink as well as the girls.

I love the word "mufti". It was what we called real clothes at my boarding school.

MiddlingMum Tue 12-Dec-17 21:50:44

Round here non-uniform days are for fundraising. You pay a pound or so for whatever cause is being supported. Are you supposed to be raising funds for this baby shock

rcit Tue 12-Dec-17 21:52:13

I think it's a bit of fun and it'd be horrid to say anything. Just be happy for the woman who's pregnant.

Italiangreyhound Tue 12-Dec-17 21:53:14

I've never, ever heard of this. If it was twins, one of each, would they get to wear purple?

monkeysox Tue 12-Dec-17 21:53:46

It's what we always called a non uniform day when I was at school. (up north)

Apparently it's also an Islamic scholar.

I think it's nice that the school community think so much of the teacher.
Could just wear a token pink ribbon etc doesn't have to be only pink surely.

Catseverywhere3 Tue 12-Dec-17 21:53:58

When I read the title I thought a mufti was one of those old fashioned tube style gloves that both of your hands went into.. Thought that was a very specific dress code day grin

NeedsAsockamnesty Tue 12-Dec-17 21:55:28

Perhaps she likes pink or perhaps one of the kids came up with the idea.

It’s just a colour it only stands for anything at all if you decide it does

SheepyFun Tue 12-Dec-17 21:56:41

Is it a girls' school, or will the boys all need to source pink clothes (if they don't have them, and let's be honest, a good number won't)?

funnyfoursome Tue 12-Dec-17 21:59:21

Oh yes I could send him with a muff and a punk mohican - excellent 😁😁😁 . No of course I'm not going to say anything on this occasion but am ignoring the pink directive! Just needed to vent really and see if it was just me. Thinking maybe in the future the children could celebrate by bringing in their baby photo to celebrate or a photo of their favourite toy. Or draw a picture for the teacher?

Eltonjohnssyrup Tue 12-Dec-17 21:59:54

Presumably the boy pupils are wearing pink too then?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: