Talk

Advanced search

To send DP back home in the snow to turn off the Christmas tree lights

(67 Posts)
HugePotatoes Tue 12-Dec-17 18:59:47

I get very nervous about things being left on at home, always have to check the iron/oven/tumble dryer etc.

This morning I got up and realised DP had left the xmas tree lights on all night. This pisses me off because who doesn't check lights etc if they are the last one to bed? I told him this and he apologised.

Fast forward to this evening, I meet him in a pub for food a 5 min walk from home. Really snowy and icy here.

I nip to the loo, then when I return he announces he's remembered he left the tree lights on again! I think he was hoping I'd tell him not to worry and relieve his guilt.

AIBU to have sent him home to switch them off, instead of trying to ignore the nagging thought of a tree induced house fire through my meal out?

He didn't complain, but thinks IABU to worry about these things. Am I?

SandSnakeofDorne Tue 12-Dec-17 19:00:54

Yes. I think it’s pretty normal to leave Christmas tree lights on.

Chuffingchuff Tue 12-Dec-17 19:02:06

I lived next door to a house that caught fire because of fairy lights so no YANBU

QueenNovo Tue 12-Dec-17 19:02:11

Have you got a real tree? I saw a scary video on facebook showing how they can catch really quickly and be burning all over in about 30 seconds from faulty lights so YANBU.

AlexaAmbidextra Tue 12-Dec-17 19:05:14

YANBU. A house near me was completely gutted the week before Christmas several years ago. The family went out to deliver Christmas presents leaving the tree lights on and lost everything including their dog and cat. sad

Fluffyears Tue 12-Dec-17 19:05:14

Yanbu, havebyou seen the video of a tree going on fire? Within 30 seconds the whole room is ablaze...takes less time to turn them off.

sonjadog Tue 12-Dec-17 19:06:52

It´s 5 minutes walk? That's really no big deal. If it were 30 minutes drive it would be different.

BeALert Tue 12-Dec-17 19:07:01

I'm not a big worrier but I do prefer the Christmas tree lights to be switched off at night and when we're out.

MimsyFluff Tue 12-Dec-17 19:07:55

I'm the same we've always had real trees and would burn them after Christmas and it's forever going to stay in my mind how easy and quickly they burn

Aeroflotgirl Tue 12-Dec-17 19:08:44

Why did you not go and switch them off!

stickytoffeevodka Tue 12-Dec-17 19:09:24

YANBU especially if you have a real tree. They go up in seconds - it's really scary!

Julie8008 Tue 12-Dec-17 19:09:33

If your that paranoid about lights you really shouldn't have them in your house. Or get a timer that switches them off automatically after 30 minutes. Most people know turn their lights on and leave them on, even if they are not in the house, so they can be seen by people passing by outside.

strawberrypenguin Tue 12-Dec-17 19:09:41

They really should be turned off. Although the newer LED lights are a lot safer so if you have those I wouldn’t worry as much

CurlsLDN Tue 12-Dec-17 19:09:48

YOu did the right thing. I know two people who had serious house fires due to unattended fairy lights

HugePotatoes Tue 12-Dec-17 19:17:59

Thanks all, at least I know I'm not completely nuts!
It's a fake tree - timer not a bad idea.

halcyondays Tue 12-Dec-17 19:20:20

yanbu

WasDoingFine Tue 12-Dec-17 19:21:22

Aeroflotgirl - why should OP walk and turn them off! She didn't leave them on.

Imstickingwiththisone Tue 12-Dec-17 19:25:06

I'm with you OP. It's the only thing I'm cautious about tbh! Assumed everyone was the same, there has been so many reports over the years.

If I saw lights on a tree I would assume someone was home.

Imstickingwiththisone Tue 12-Dec-17 19:26:54

Timers a bad idea unless you want to switch them back on every 30 minutes when you're home grin

Brokenbiscuit Tue 12-Dec-17 19:28:48

I'm amazed that anyone is saying it's ok to leave them on. Are people unaware that it's a fire risk?shock

EB123 Tue 12-Dec-17 19:28:53

YANBU I am the same with Christmas tree lights

LazyDailyMailJournos Tue 12-Dec-17 19:32:27

YANBU. I am exactly the same. I always check my tree lights are off before going to bed or going out. A close family member is a fire fighter and put the fear of God into me about the number of house fires which are caused by lights overheating and catching fire. I'd never forgive myself if something happened to my dogs for the sake of pulling the plug out of the wall.

greendale17 Tue 12-Dec-17 19:33:57

*Yes. I think it’s pretty normal to leave Christmas tree lights on.*

No it is not. Fire service don’t recommend it either. No way would I ever leave the tree lights on in an unoccupied house

TattyCat Tue 12-Dec-17 19:34:07

Good grief I wouldn't leave fairy lights on, whether I'm in bed or out. Unbelievably dangerous and if you don't believe me, go and speak to your friendly firefighters....

RestingBitchFaced Tue 12-Dec-17 19:36:11

YANBU I always turn mine off even if I'm going out for 10mins

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: