Talk

Advanced search

To ask whether snow day = fully paid day off for you?

(146 Posts)
temporarynamenothingtoseehere Tue 12-Dec-17 12:56:26

I am following a row on Twitter with a lot of high-profile teachers getting very cross indeed that they are expected either to use snow days for PPA (planning and assessment admin) or lose a day's pay.

I do understand that losing a day's pay is horrible if your place of work is closed and you don't have the choice of whether or not to work.

However, I'm surprised by the expectation that professional adults should expect a fully paid day off with no work when it snows. I've never worked anywhere where that was the case - you don't come in if it's dangerous to do so, but you either work from home or lose a day's pay.

AIBU to think that's the norm?

FluffyWuffy100 Tue 12-Dec-17 12:58:48

If you are salaried, and your place of work is not open - I would not expect to loose a day of pay.

Teachers are probably well pissed off that they do shit loads of unpaid overtime so this indicates a lack of give and take.

PurplePillowCase Tue 12-Dec-17 12:59:01

we have to take annual leave. or unpaid if no leave left.
or we can work from home if the set up allows for it.

BrieAndChilli Tue 12-Dec-17 13:01:46

I WFH anyway so didn’t lose a day as worked as normal
Previous job was a restaurant so I only got paid for hours I worked so if restaurant was closed then I didn’t get paid either
Job before that was salaried and on a snow day when office was closed we still got paid.

HighwayDragon1 Tue 12-Dec-17 13:01:50

I teach and we're still being paid! I'd be pretty pissed off if I wasn't, I'm not choosing not to go in

Spartaca Tue 12-Dec-17 13:01:56

I've had to stay home for all sorts of weather reasons that were my issue alone, as in, ferries cancelled due to wind and always been paid. If my whole office was shut (as is the case with schools) and I physically couldn't be there even if I wanted to then I would be very surprised not to be paid.

Undisputed56 Tue 12-Dec-17 13:02:12

Can’t work from home in my line of work so it’s a days unpaid or use annual leave if you have any left

Undisputed56 Tue 12-Dec-17 13:02:55

Mind you it’s never been that the office has been closed but that I’ve not been able to get in. Not sure what would happen if the office was shut

onemouseplace Tue 12-Dec-17 13:03:12

In my old job we could work from home, if we could do a useful day's work from there. If not, then we had to take it either as half day unpaid/annual leave and the firm would bear the other half day.

I actually thought that was pretty reasonable, other than it was a bit unfair on the secretaries/ support staff as fee earners were more likely to be set up to work from home.

AlexanderHamilton Tue 12-Dec-17 13:04:14

If work is open & we can't get in - no pay

If work decided to close because of snow - paid

temporarynamenothingtoseehere Tue 12-Dec-17 13:05:02

PS Can I just say, this is not in any way a teacher-bashing thread! I love teachers and I know how hard they work. Just surprised at the difference between their expectations and the experience that I have always had of what happens in the workplace when there's snow or other exceptional circumstances.

JennyOnAPlate Tue 12-Dec-17 13:05:39

I work in a school (not a teacher) in a role that can’t be done from home. The school has been closed yesterday and today so I’ve been unable to work. I’m expected to make up the time (which will cause a childcare headache and cost me money). I’m a bit pissed off about it to be honest.

Honeybooboo123 Tue 12-Dec-17 13:05:41

we get snow days, so If you are salaried, and your place of work is not open - I would not expect to loose a day of pay.

however, I'd probably do some work from home anyway.

imnottoofussed Tue 12-Dec-17 13:06:30

I think if your place of work is closed then you should be paid as it's not your choice to take the day off. If you can't get to work then it's your problem and you shouldn't be paid.

Tricky for a school because it has to close if not enough staff can get in work. However those who turn up should be expected to stay at school and do prep or whatever. Those at home shouldn't be paid.

AlexanderHamilton Tue 12-Dec-17 13:06:35

Dh's school has been open but if it had closed he would have done as much planning/prep as resources allowed at home.

SayNoToCarrots Tue 12-Dec-17 13:08:08

I don't understand how anyone can tell when you have done your PPA?

SayNoToCarrots Tue 12-Dec-17 13:08:49

As in, they will be planning for the same lessons as usual, how can they be penalised for not using the exact time the school is closed?

IrritatedUser1960 Tue 12-Dec-17 13:09:11

God no, I work in the NHS and if I can't get into the nearest clinic I have to have an unpaid day or annual leave.

MargotsDevil Tue 12-Dec-17 13:09:29

The last time I had snow days I had a HUGELY productive week creating resources and lessons that benefited from the time and focus I was able to devote to them. We were paid though as the school was closed. Our LA policy is that if your school is closed but other LA schools are open then you have to attend your closest. This also applies if you can't get to your school but it is open - again attend the closest. In all of those situations we are paid. Not sure what the story is if schools are open and you don't attend at any though.

MsHopey Tue 12-Dec-17 13:11:21

I used to be a cleaner. Once all the electrics and generator had stopped worked in my place of work, so it was closed for health and safety and everyone was sent home without pay. Not great when you're already on minimum wage. Some jobs already get a lot more benefits (though I'm sure some people will say it's my fault for having a shit job) but most people don't get paid if they don't work.

Chaosofcalm Tue 12-Dec-17 13:11:41

saynittocarrots I would assume they are removing the teacher’s PPA time in school for the equivalent time.

Ollivander84 Tue 12-Dec-17 13:12:17

My last work was never shut. If you couldn't get in because of snow then you would be collected and dropped back after your shift so no snow days

ememem84 Tue 12-Dec-17 13:13:02

WE either take annual leave or unpaid if we are not planning on working or work from home.

Sanshin Tue 12-Dec-17 13:17:13

I'm a nurse - if nuclear war broke out I'd still be expected to go to work.

I remember a few years ago we had terrible floods and the hospital staff couldn't leave the hospital as outside was completely flooded - all cars were stranded and ruined, all roads were shut - there was just no way out. So the staff were expected to sleep at the hospital and carry on with their shifts the following day 😂

DailyMaileatmyshit Tue 12-Dec-17 13:18:35

If it's a normal working day, and my boss (or who wever is in charge) has decided we cannot work due to snow/ flood/ no electricity/ whatever then I'd expect to be paid.

If I cannot get in due to the snow then I would not expect to be paid (unless I took leave/ flexi)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now