Talk

Advanced search

to think google is watching me?

(11 Posts)
tdm1 Tue 12-Dec-17 11:59:55

I've had a Joe Brown's catalogue on my desk for weeks - it came unsolicited with a magazine I suscribe to - and today I looked at it for a few minutes before binning it. I've just come on to mumsnet for a quick break and first thing I see is an ad for Joe Brown's! A bit too coincidental for comfort.

Roomba Tue 12-Dec-17 12:05:06

If you have an android phone and have mentioned the catalogue out loud or in any texts etc. then yes, Google is listened to and tracking you and will advertise accordingly. Facebook will do the same if you have FB Messenger on your phone.

I've had all sorts of adverts for things I've never searched for online, but have had conversations about at home or mentioned during phone calls/texts. Scary what info they have on all of us!

Weedsnseeds1 Tue 12-Dec-17 12:13:14

Yes, it is.
I have no idea why it thinks I watch Coronation Street though. It's never been on or mentioned in my house.
I confuse it by travelling to different places for work though, it thinks I live in Ireland at the moment.

treeofhearts Tue 12-Dec-17 12:22:06

I stopped to look at a lunchbox in asda once. Was on my own so didn't say anything or search it. It was just a passing interest. Picked it up opened it and sae how big the compartments were and changed my mind. I had adverts coming up for it for days afterwards. To this day I still wonder how they did it.

sirfredfredgeorge Tue 12-Dec-17 12:28:29

treeofhearts cctv in the supermarket mapped to phone location, technically that is not very difficult. However it's much more likely to be a coincidence that you noticed the adverts because you looked rather than actual tracking.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Tue 12-Dec-17 12:49:40

I was watching finding Dory with my nephew on my Now Box which Is connected to the Internet.
Anyway I decided I wanted to know what type of fish Dory was. No sooner had I typed in "What type" Google finished off my sentence with "fish is Dory".
It also happened when I was watching a documentary about 911. I only typed in when and it finished off my sentence with
"Where the twin towers built". The very question I was wanting to know.

HidingBehindTheWallpaper Tue 12-Dec-17 12:52:12

much more likely to be a coincidence that you noticed the adverts because you looked rather than actual tracking.

Exactly. You didn’t notice the 100s of times an ad for something different came up.

MakeMisogynyAHateCrime Tue 12-Dec-17 12:52:17

Yes it is listening if you have any smart device with a microphone.

MakeMisogynyAHateCrime Tue 12-Dec-17 12:53:15

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/3039980-To-be-suspicious-my-smartphone-listens-in-on-my-conversations

Allwashedup Tue 12-Dec-17 12:53:58

There is a way of turning off the microphone on smartphones so that google can't listen to you, but not sure how you do it.

LurkingHusband Tue 12-Dec-17 13:20:06

Forget listening, Google does a pretty good job of tracking you, unless you turn off it's Google Maps service (and keep it off).

Next year we plan on a weekend drive to paint a symbol over the UK using Google Maps ....

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: