Talk

Advanced search

Distressed Dog - Should I Report It?

(29 Posts)
HoarseMackerel Tue 12-Dec-17 10:52:31

My neighbour has got a dog.
We live in flats with no private gardens, with a small communal area at the front, which is not fenced off and next to a main road.
Since the middle of last week, a dog has been barking for long periods of time. I think it is asking to be let out as it is right by the front door and just yaps and yaps over and over for a couple of hours.
I thought that it had probably been left and didn't like it but Saturday and Sunday, it started really early, about 7am and I thought it was unlikely that it was there alone but if the tenants were there, why would it have been so unhappy and why would they not get up and see to it if it needed food or to be taken out? It went on all morning, both days.
It literally feels like it is in my flat as it is right by the door and when it starts, it's constant 'yap, yap, yap, yap' over and over.
I thought that I'll give it until next week before I decide what to do, as I thought she may just be looking after it for someone else and I'd like to think she would have thought it through a bit more thoroughly before deciding to get a dog, as the flat is just not suitable.
Also, I checked the Housing Association website and it says that permission is needed and you must have a proper fenced off garden and the dog must not be a nuisance.
The main reason this is worrying me is that I moved here after the most horrendous neighbour from hell problems which started with my neighbour attacking someone with an iron bar and then went on for 6 years with all other neighbours either moving or having an horrendous time. We could have died and got little support.
Some people don't like to be asked to deal with something that is disturbing or bothering others. I've learned this the hard way.
The problem is, I'm not sure how long I can deal with the noise until it drives me mad.
AIBU to not speak to the owner of the dog and just ask the HA to deal, therefore the neighbour wouldn't know it was specifically me who reported it? After calling the police in my old home after my neighbour was attacking another neighbour with an iron bar, I came out the next morning to find my car scratched all over causing £2000 worth of damage, so I know how some people react!
To be honest, another neighbour could have reported it anyway. There was some middle of the night domestics when I first moved in and the police were called and the HA were aware and I didn't report it, so there must be others in the block who possibly would.
It's a shame, as it is lovely here. It's just been the last week.

sueelleker Tue 12-Dec-17 14:32:30

Are you sure the neighbours are still there? They may have left and abandoned the poor creature. I'd ring the RSPCA.

Ashamedandblamed Tue 12-Dec-17 14:34:40

Just go and knock say I'm checking your ok as the dog is barking A lot and I haven't seen him
Out. I thought something had happened to you.

RoseWhiteTips Tue 12-Dec-17 14:37:06

Ring the RSPCA at once - please. You can do it anonymously.

IamalsoSpartacus Tue 12-Dec-17 14:37:44

RSPCA or council dog warden, if you have one in your area.

jaseyraex Tue 12-Dec-17 14:43:43

RSPCA. You can be anonymous or leave your name and number for any updates. They'll come out and have a look through letterbox, see if dog looks neglected/hurt etc and put some tape on the door lock. They'll be back in 24 hours and if the tape hasn't been removed, assume dog is neglected and get a warrant to remove it. If the dog is fine though you'll be looking at making noise complaints to the HA, may take a while before any action is taken.

HoarseMackerel Tue 12-Dec-17 15:10:27

I was looking more towards a noise complaint/lack of permission as I am sure the dog has not been left for longer than 24 hours. I really do not have enough proof of neglect.
The most the continuous barking has gone on is 4 - 5 hours.
The Saturday and Sunday barking, I obviously don't really know, but I think they were there as it was so early. I can't see that a mother with 2 very small children would be out the door before 7am.
Why would they not see to the dog's needs if it was at the door barking for 4 - 5 hours solid?
It's strange as well that it's a very quiet block but since the dog has been there and the barking has started, I haven't heard the children at all. This was the only noise I ever heard before. Just a bit of normal young children noise.
It's almost like they've swapped the children for the dog!
I'm going to start logging the exact times it is barking and maybe try and record a sample as well, as it does really sound like it's right outside my door.
When I get home, I'll also try and be more vigilant about whether lights are on and there seems to be someone at home.
Now, I'm not even confident that they've been there, as it's not something you really check as you go about your day to day business.
Thanks for the advice.

LittleLights Tue 12-Dec-17 15:13:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RoseWhiteTips Tue 12-Dec-17 15:13:41

Let the RSPCA do the checking. The dog is not being properly treated and delaying is not going to help.

mydogisthebest Tue 12-Dec-17 15:16:31

I believe the RSPCA won't investigate anonymous reports as they canlt be sure it is not people wasting their time.

I doubt the RSPCA would be interested anyway. They rarely are.

I have a neighbour who thinks it is ok to put her Shih Tzu in the garden at 8am and not take him in until 10pm even though he barks and cries. I thought she would stop doing it once it got cold but no. When she goes out though she puts him indoors (I am assuming in a crate) so basically he has no company whatsoever. The RSPCA have told me that's not cruel!

RoseWhiteTips Tue 12-Dec-17 15:22:39

I have found they will.

purplecloudsgreyrain Tue 12-Dec-17 15:24:15

Our council community safety team deal with noise complaints based on dogs being left alone and barking.

Ladylimpet Tue 12-Dec-17 15:34:50

We were told by the RSPCA once that they would only come out if we thought the dogs were obese! This was after we reported someone who lived near my auntie who never took the dogs out at all. We could hear them barking. We told the RSPCA we didn't know what state they were in as nobody has seen them! Not interested. I believe they'll act if they have 3 separate people reporting?
I'd report. Just to get advice really

HoarseMackerel Tue 12-Dec-17 15:37:41

I've never seen the dog (I believe it has only been there for a week) but in hindsight, I haven't seen the woman who lives there for a few days. I sometimes see her out the front smoking in the evening BUT I do work in a different town and I'm at work from 8am to about 5.30pm. Tonight, I won't be home until late as I am meeting my sister and daughter and we are going out.
I absolutely know that I do not have enough information to present to the RSPCA. They will not bat an eyelid if I tell them the little I know so far.
I've never seen the dog, so couldn't comment on its condition, I can't really say if they've been there with it or not when it barks, I can't say if it's been abandoned as I couldn't say that I'd checked if the lights were on/there was any sign of life. It's not really occurred to me to do so. Also, I'd presume it would be barking through the night too, at least sometimes and, unless I've slept through it, I don't think it has been.
I'm going to try and find out more and will obviously act immediately if I think there is a need to or I have seen definitive proof of neglect/abandonment. If the barking continues next week, I will report to the HA who I'm sure have not given permission for the dog as it goes against the criteria on their website.

Str4ngedaysindeed Tue 12-Dec-17 15:40:19

Tell the RSPCA you are filing a TV programme and they'll be there in a flash 😡

ToadOfSadness Tue 12-Dec-17 15:45:26

Are you concerned about the state of the poor dog, or just the noise?

Just call the RSPCA, much as I dislike them they are all we have to help animals.

MyStomachHurts Tue 12-Dec-17 16:14:25

You have not seen the woman for a few days. I would say this if she answers the door and say you were concerned. Especially with the dog barking constantly too, just checking you are ok

HoarseMackerel Tue 12-Dec-17 16:16:51

I am concerned about the noise, obviously, as it is way beyond what is acceptable and given that I'm 99% sure that they haven't got permission to have it anyway (or if they did, it goes completely against the HAs policy), it needs to be sorted.
However, I am not going to let a dog be mistreated either and will act accordingly.
If they are there with the dog, it's fed, watered and in good condition but they are leaving it for 4 hours and it constantly barks within those 4 hours, it is not enough to report to the RSPCA.
I just don't know the true facts yet.

LittleLights Tue 12-Dec-17 17:54:40

HoarseMackerel Wed 13-Dec-17 13:20:48

I got home at 9.30pm last night.
Had a good look at the flat next door.
Lights on in both rooms at the front.
Got into my flat and all was quiet.
Ten minutes later, the dog started barking constantly for about 40 minutes. This is the latest it has barked.
I can't understand why the owner doesn't deal with the barking? It either needs to be fed, needs to go out or needs some sort of training?
How does the owner tolerate it?!

LittleLights Thu 14-Dec-17 00:02:25

HoarseMackerel Sun 31-Dec-17 10:02:46

Nothing has changed.
I had plans to spend my Christmas break lazing at home but have had to go out sometimes to get away from the noise.
Boxing Day, I was so looking forward to spending my first one in my flat and the barking, howling and whining started at 2.30pm and went on to 11pm. No one was home and the dog had been left.
I called the HA the next day to try and clarify if permission had been given to keep the dog but the person responsible for the tenant is having her Christmas break, so can't get an answer until at least the 2nd. I hope she's having a peaceful time!
I met another neighbour in town who did tell me that permission was given.
I am LIVID.
The flat is not suitable for a dog. No private fenced garden and right by a main road.
It's a Labrador, so a bouncy, energetic dog who is just getting a two minute wander around the communal garden to go to toilet on a lead.
Obviously, apart from it not being suitable, the noise is intolerable (its barking now, as it is most of the time), so if my complaint is acted on and the dog is rehoused, it will probably end up in a shelter with an uncertain future.
It should never have been allowed in the first place and the dog would have possibly had a suitable home.

mustbemad17 Sun 31-Dec-17 10:06:30

Permission can be revoked if the dog is causing a nuisance (aka the owners are doing jack all to properly care for the poor thing). We have had issues where i live (also in flats) and everyone is now on a strict warning about dog ownership. Environmental health are also useful; a dog barking constantly is seen as noise pollution i discovered!

Zube Sun 31-Dec-17 10:16:33

Call the police and ask them to do a safety check on the mother and child.

Then let them handle the RSPCA side of things.

However, first concern would be for the humans at this point in time having read your posts.

HoarseMackerel Sun 31-Dec-17 10:16:50

I will wait to see what the response is before I go to environmental health.
I'm just so mad because when you read the HAs policy, they don't qualify to have a dog at all, so if it is taken away, the dog ends up with an uncertain future and it totally could have been avoided.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: