Talk

Advanced search

To think Father Christmas is yet another bloody sexist concept

(118 Posts)
chocdog Tue 12-Dec-17 10:12:27

Just been spending loads of time and effort on the school Christmas fair. Every single person involved since September doing all the hard work and very complex organisation has been female. Then on the day, two dads rock up to do the fun stuff - being Father Christmas. They are the stars of the show getting the glory and enjoying jolly bantz with the kids and massive thanks from the adults.

Why do we go along with this?

All the religions work like this too (as shown by the thread on religions that's running at the moment). We can't change the religions but couldn't we have a Mother Christmas alternative to Father Christmas? Not as his bloody helpmate but as a proper standalone alternative. AIBU?

Allwashedup Tue 12-Dec-17 10:16:47

hmm

UnderslungBowlingBall Tue 12-Dec-17 10:18:26

Popcorn anyone?

araiwa Tue 12-Dec-17 10:19:10

Lol

grannytomine Tue 12-Dec-17 10:19:24

Dads did lots of the hard work when my kids were at school, no one got to swan in at the end and take the glory.

Bumdishcloths Tue 12-Dec-17 10:19:45

YABU

GF

WindyWindy Tue 12-Dec-17 10:22:46

Stop volunteering.

AssassinatedBeauty Tue 12-Dec-17 10:22:50

You don't have to go along with it. Why not suggest an alternative to Santa who is female, maybe Elsa from Frozen or similar? They can do the same thing alongside FC next time. Also, don't help out with the Christmas fair if you resent it.

Personally I'd hate to do the Father Christmas job, it's exceptionally repetitive and I don't like other people! Do they really get a lot of "glory" for doing it? Doesn't the head of the PTA also get a lot of thanks/glory for organising the fair?

LemonShark Tue 12-Dec-17 10:23:42

What's stopping you from having a woman play Santa?

Chocolate254 Tue 12-Dec-17 10:26:18

Yabu

Coconutspongexo Tue 12-Dec-17 10:28:30

Oh for fuck sake.

HRTpatch Tue 12-Dec-17 10:30:48

Oh get over yourself

Coconutspongexo Tue 12-Dec-17 10:30:50

I’m going to bite actually and tell you to maybe educate yourself on who ‘Father Christmas’ is based on you know St Nick a real man?

grannytomine Tue 12-Dec-17 10:33:22

Thinking about it how do they get any glory for doing it? The kids don't know who it is, they think it is Father Christmas.

JaneyGotAGun Tue 12-Dec-17 10:36:18

Yabu

TrinitySquirrel Tue 12-Dec-17 10:38:44

Maybe tell your lazy gits of partners to get off their arses and be proactive like the rest of us do.

Why just sit and whinge about it?

PandasRock Tue 12-Dec-17 10:43:58

I agree it's annoying.

Of course, Father Christmas is a man, based on St Nicholas etc etc. But the whitewashing out of any female involvement is irritating.

There no reason why FC can't (and usually doesn't, ime, and I've seen a lot of FCs over the years wit's 3 dc) chat about the good work Mother Christmas does (and not just the baking in the kitchen, fgs!)

It seems to mirror what goes on in a lot of houses (mine included) - mums run themselves ragged getting everything sorted (food, home, decorations, presents) and dad shows up for the unwrapping and enjoys the warm fuzzy moments. Last year in particular stbx really took the piss, and rooted through youngest dc's stocking on the way past (going for breakfast, we do stockings afterwards) for the one item I had gone to considerable trouble to hunt down, just so he could be the one to experience the joyous reaction when dc realised they'd got what they really wished for.

innagazing Tue 12-Dec-17 10:44:25

I'll join you in some popcorn Underslung.
Shall I make the coffee?

PandasRock Tue 12-Dec-17 10:47:30

There does also seem to be a slightly different tone taken at my dc's school wrt the dads who volunteer to be FC, and the mums who set up the whole grotto etc.

It is very much taken for granted that the mums will step up and do it (and the transformation is amazing, each year, involving much gathering of items, labelling each one so it can be returned, organsigin and sorting all the loaned items, and completely transforming the theatre - it is genuinely unrecognisable), whereas there is always much gushing and reverential tones when talking about the dads who volunteer. Almost as though they are more amazing for doing this, as of course no one expects them to, etc etc

AsMenDclaredWomenTheirInferior Tue 12-Dec-17 10:47:45

Men like to act in dramas of their own making and play all the lead roles.
I have a great cartoon on this, it's a pity I can't upload it on here fsad
Bah humbug!!!

WitchesHatRim Tue 12-Dec-17 10:48:20

OK.......... 🙄

eatshitexwife Tue 12-Dec-17 10:48:42

Dear lord 🙄

Blahblahblahzeeblah Tue 12-Dec-17 10:49:05

Father Christmas is based on a real person, Saint Nicholas, who was a man.

Morphene Tue 12-Dec-17 10:50:47

YANBU, of course its a sexist concept emerging from the patriarchy.

Its total BS for many other reasons too...not least that is drums into children the whole be good and you will be rewarded mantra that the real world steadfastly refuses to abide by and which leads to outrages levels of entitled behaviour and lack of empathy for those in society who struggle.

Ditch the whole fecking thing.

eastlondoner Tue 12-Dec-17 10:52:40

Oh FFS!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: