Talk

Advanced search

Just because you're old DOESNT entitle you to park in a Disabled space...

(94 Posts)
Brewbees Tue 12-Dec-17 01:05:37

I'm seething at this, have been noticing it the last month or so. It's the same at supermarkets, doctors, hospital, dentist. I see old(er) people with no chair, frame, stick get out of their car and walk at full speed into said place. Meanwhile there are disabled people, including old(er) disabled people, who cannot get a spot to park and are left hanging on for someone to leave.

NOTE: I'm not being ageist - old(er) disabled people should be parking in disabled bays, just not able-bodied.

AIBU to think non-disabled, including old(er) people have no right parking in these bays and therefore making life more difficult for people who genuinely need these spaces?

oliveinacampervan Tue 12-Dec-17 01:09:52

YANBU! I see it all the time. People as young as 35-40 sometimes, parking in the disabled bay, hopping out of the car with their walking stick, and then trotting into the supermarket quicker than me!

I am stunned actually at the amount of people I see with walking sticks (aged late 20's to 60-ish) who clearly do not need them. As I said, they walk faster than I do!

cantthinkofabloodyname Tue 12-Dec-17 01:10:48

I do agree with you but I know this is going to turn into one of the threads where the 🍿 comes out.

Dilligaf81 Tue 12-Dec-17 01:14:54

olive just because at that point they are walking faster than you doesn't mean they don't have a disability and don't need the stick.
Im I'm my mid 30s and need a stick on a good day I can walk pretty well but my leg could give way at anytime hence the stick. If you have seen people park without a badge in disabled spaces then judge away but don't be naive enough to judge disability on looks alone.

DonnyAndVladSittingInATree Tue 12-Dec-17 01:22:42

I see old(er) people with no chair, frame, stick get out of their car and walk at full speed into said place.

Full speed? Like as if they’re about to have a toilet accident because their crohns disease has flared up? Not all disabilities are visible.

Birdsgottafly Tue 12-Dec-17 01:25:08

"I see it all the time. People as young as 35-40 sometimes"

So every age range then?

OP, why distinguish based on age? All age ranges contain cheeky fuckers, or inconsiderate people, who don't give a shit about the needs of others.

"I am stunned actually at the amount of people I see with walking sticks (aged late 20's to 60-ish) who clearly do not need them. As I said, they walk faster than I do!"

I don't go out on my own much, i am usually out with my DD and my GC. I use my GC pram to walk with and i'm quite fast, also if i have a supermarket shopping trolley. I have decided not to go down the walking aid route, because will recover from my disability. I'm 49. I don't know why you are stunned by people using aids to increase their mobility, tbh. Having something to lean/balance on, decreases the pain that i am in and a lot of people use equipment for that reason.

There are many reasons why people have decreased mobility, some won't effect walking speed.

GetOutOfMYGarden Tue 12-Dec-17 01:26:57

A few months ago a bloke in his 60s or 70s shouted at me for parking in the front spot in Asda car park (regular spaces, not disabled or P/C) and not leaving it for him. He promptly parked in a disabled space, so I asked where his badge was. Fucker admitted he didn't have one so I told customer services. I hope the fucker got fined.

Battleax Tue 12-Dec-17 01:27:22

I'm still pretty quick for the first 10 yards olive after that my spinal cord compresses and I really struggle to walk at all, but of course I have to carry the sticks for the first bit because they absolutely refuse to walk at heel 🙄

DonnyAndVladSittingInATree Tue 12-Dec-17 01:29:00

they absolutely refuse to walk at heel

grin have you tried clicker training? wink

Battleax Tue 12-Dec-17 01:30:26

(And two years into this extreme hobbling, I still don't have a blue badge, so I don't believe they're easy to get.)

Battleax Tue 12-Dec-17 01:30:54

Donny 😄

VladmirsPoutine Tue 12-Dec-17 01:32:36

Glad we've managed to squeeze in one last disabled/abled parking thread to see us out of 2017.

VladmirsPoutine Tue 12-Dec-17 01:34:09

All we need now is someone to come along with a pram vs wheelchair priority space on a bus thread and we're covered till at least Jan 2018.

Janetjanetjanet Tue 12-Dec-17 01:35:52

YANBU.

I see this all the time, especially parking in mum and baby spaces.

It's just not fair at all! And they're not even that old! Sprinting into the shop and everything.

Birdsgottafly Tue 12-Dec-17 01:38:45

I've never seen anyone sprinting into a shop, unless it's hail-stoning and I live in an area were nearly everything else goes on.

Want2bSupermum Tue 12-Dec-17 01:41:12

Well my Dad can't walk 50ft let alone 200ft or walk quickly. I have not been able to get him a disabled badge. If anyone needs one it's him. I have no idea what these people do to get one. If anyone can share would be most thankful.

Currently our gift to my father is someone to drive him to the car boot sale and to races around the country because he doesn't have a disabled badge and has to walk too far. I'd rather get him an ugly Christmas jumper that the grandkids will love.

Brewbees Tue 12-Dec-17 01:41:18

Yes it's all ages. However, it was an elderly gentleman who rapped on my car window proclaiming I'd parked in 'his' disabled spot. I asked him if he was disabled, his reply was 'no, but I'm old'.

I'm fully aware not all disabilities are visible, several of mine aren't, and several of my DPs aren't either.

DonnyAndVladSittingInATree Tue 12-Dec-17 01:41:31

Mum and baby spaces are in no way comparable to disabled spaces. Don’t be ridiculous.

Brewbees Tue 12-Dec-17 01:48:31

@Want2bSupermum Can he ask his GP to write him a letter? Higher mobility award of PIP/DLA guarantees a blue badge. A decent GP letter (and any evidence from hospital consultants) goes a long way toward swaying the decision in your favour.

Mummyoflittledragon Tue 12-Dec-17 01:50:06

He jumped out of his car to tell you that? Classy.

CheapSausagesAndSpam Tue 12-Dec-17 01:59:47

Olive I'm in my 40s and you'd never know I was disabled to look at me.

Want2bSupermum Tue 12-Dec-17 02:01:44

brew They want to see evidence of PIP. Meanwhile my father is wealthy and doesn't want to take benefits he doesn't need. He and I have both explained this and the rude employee replied that in that case my father can hire a driver.

The lawyer we have working for us is focused on dealing with the NHS and the disaster that has been his 'treatment' plan which has been more of a death wish. We have appealed and was told he needed to have the PIp medical. He did that and submitted the paperwork only to then be told he needed another driving test. I'm hoping to get the driving test scheduled for when I'm home in Jan/Feb.

LondonLassInTheCountry Tue 12-Dec-17 02:02:55

Just because someone looks well, doesnt mean they are!

I look extremly well but my kidneys fail often

LondonLassInTheCountry Tue 12-Dec-17 02:08:13

Want2bSupermum Can he claim Pip and give it to a chaity every month?

ohtheholidays Tue 12-Dec-17 02:33:44

I agree OP,I am disabled and I do have a blue badge and the amount of times I get someone that's older than me have ago at me for parking in a disabled bay,even when I'm in my fucking wheelchair,bloody idiots!

So far I've not had one disabled person younger than me(I'm 42)have ago at me for parking in a disabled bay.

As my Father used to enjoy shouting out at them"it's a bloody blue badge for disabled people not a fucking old persons badge" grin and my Dad was 82(he passed away a few months ago)and my poor old Dad had become disabled but he only ever felt empathy when he saw someone so much younger in pain and disabled,he always thought it was really unfair that so many young people have lived with pain and disability all or most of they're lifes.

As my Father taught me to say getting to an old age is a fucking privilage not a right and it's sadly a privilage that I'm most likely never going to experience,that and if you want my blue badge you can have the sodding disabilities to go with it,I miss my Dad,he was like my very own very old cranky cheerleader smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: