Talk

Advanced search

to insist that it is 'I love THEE' in Away in a Manger

(202 Posts)
Balfe Mon 11-Dec-17 17:01:36

I have turned into one of those ancient teachers grouching in a corner but really, they're singing 'I love you Lord Jesus'.... shock It's got to be proper!

Ridingthegravytrain Mon 11-Dec-17 17:05:20

No, I’m with you. Our pre school is singing “good tidings we bring, to you and your king” It’s KIN!

Balfe Mon 11-Dec-17 17:05:59

good tidings we bring, to you and your king

Oh good lord shock

primarnoodle Mon 11-Dec-17 17:07:09

I taught my nursery children to do the action of a crown for 'king' in merry christmas until by TA pointed out it was kin.... woops!

Janek Mon 11-Dec-17 17:07:09

And 'thy bedside' too, natch.

BringMeTea Mon 11-Dec-17 17:08:44

I’m with you all the way. Dumbing down.

MumGoneMild Mon 11-Dec-17 17:08:56

Ooooohhh I'm 32 and have been singing you and your king all these yearfshockfblush

BlueFleece Mon 11-Dec-17 17:09:12

We recently attended a carol service with the words on screens and they were all 'modern' whereas I was automatically singing 'thy' etc. Felt a bit stupid - doesn't really seem necessary to change.

MayFayner Mon 11-Dec-17 17:10:46

Do the children know what "tidings" are, btw?

I didn't as a child. I thought it was "tidy-ings" and had a mental image of a someone handing someone else a dustpan.

Balfe Mon 11-Dec-17 17:11:33

There's a bit of a debate about 'thy bedside' is there not- I would have always sang 'and stay by my side'....

Balfe Mon 11-Dec-17 17:12:14

I think most of the children are unsure of who exactly the Baby Jesus is anyway fgrin

Hoardinghobbit Mon 11-Dec-17 17:15:00

...and I'm trying to teach my class that the Three Kings liked to 'traverse afar', not 'travel so far'! Oh and that it was Good King Wenceslas who looked out, not King Wenslas who 'last looked out'. All taught by previous teachers who roll their eyes at me. And kin and king. And incense holds a bloody, buggering deity nigh not 'night'. And the plural of reindeer is reindeer - no 's'.

MayFayner Mon 11-Dec-17 17:16:24

It's "stay by my bedside 'til morning is nigh" isn't it?

I can go it alone from about 5.45am, thanks Jesus!

FreshStartToday Mon 11-Dec-17 17:17:59

Going against the majority here. I don't like thees and thous, in church. I understand that if that is what you grew up with then it seems strange to you when the language is changed, but some people believe this stuff, and they should not be constrained to use language from 150 years ago, to explore or express ideas which for them are part of their everyday 21st century lives

KurriKurri Mon 11-Dec-17 17:18:00

shock It is 'Thee' - the nice thing about carols is that they have archaic language and sound sound like they've been badly translated (We Three Kings of Orient Are grin)
You get to say words like 'Yonder' and 'Behold' and 'Afar' - what's not to love about that ?

jellycat1 Mon 11-Dec-17 17:18:20

Yadnbu

itssquidstella Mon 11-Dec-17 17:20:22

YANBU. I’m a totally hypocritical atheist at Christmas - I was raised Catholic and I love a carol!

Balfe Mon 11-Dec-17 17:21:27

but some people believe this stuff, and they should not be constrained to use language from 150 years ago, to explore or express ideas which for them are part of their everyday 21st century lives

I still disagree with you fgrin but that's a lovely way to put it.

I think the tradition is really important. I love that these little ones are singing the same carols as their grandparents.

HarrietSchulenberg Mon 11-Dec-17 17:24:48

At least you're all singing real carols. My children barely know them as they've never sung them at school. They just have Christmassy songs but not the actual carols, and their schools are classed as CofE schools!

Lashalicious Mon 11-Dec-17 17:32:34

Totally agree with thee, op!!

SquirrelPlantedBeech Mon 11-Dec-17 17:32:52

We were singing king when I was at primary in the 1960s

CigarsofthePharoahs Mon 11-Dec-17 17:33:13

This reminds me of the time someone tried to use a slightly modernised version of the words to "O Come All Ye Faithful" in a carol service at our church.
Suffice to say, everyone ignored them and the organiser was not happy.
Modern songs are fine, but don't mess with the classics.

ferrier Mon 11-Dec-17 17:36:22

I'm a stickler for the words but also the melody. Can't stand the slurring in O Come All Ye Faithful for example.

Scribblegirl Mon 11-Dec-17 17:36:24

I'm 28 and learned the 'proper' Lords Prayer by rote at school. My local church has adopted the modern version and it's always me and a couple of old ladies who stumble over '"For the kingdom, the power and the glory are yours..." etc. Give me thees and thys any day! grin

BrizzleDrizzle Mon 11-Dec-17 17:37:07

I prefer the old words but to be honest I can't get all steamed up about it. What I do get hot and bothered about is when the DCs come home from school and tell me that they learnt a Xmas hymn so I ask them to sing it and it turns out to be Dominic the Italian Xmas donkey confused

Is there any proof that the donkey that carried Mary was called Dominic? How do they know he was Italian?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now