Talk

Advanced search

Neighbours tumble dryer on 10+hrs/day

(256 Posts)
SenseCheckMe Sun 10-Dec-17 17:45:20

Hi all, new to forum and looking for some advice.

My neighbours tumble dryer is on 10 hrs everyday. We can hear it in all rooms of our home and its next to the party wall. It on beteween 7am and 10.30pm. Everyday as best we can tell (we work full time) and every weekend. Its been like this for months. Quite honesty its making me very ill. We've been round several times and invited her to listen to noise which she agrees she can hear. She's making no effort to improve it though. We've made many suggestions such as pads, etc. Quite frankly i think she is inconsiderate. What do you guys think?

FellOutOfBed2wice Sun 10-Dec-17 17:47:25

Bloody hell, what is she drying?!

DownTheChimney Sun 10-Dec-17 17:47:32

Why is it on for so long? Is she running a business?

Lillylollylandy Sun 10-Dec-17 17:48:21

10 hours a day, every day? Is it maybe faulty and not drying her clothes?

What did she say when you spoke to her?

LateToBedAgain Sun 10-Dec-17 17:48:45

Well, I guess it's her home and if she needs to use her drying machine she can. She is not drying at night. If it bothers you a lot you could offer to pay for some sound proofing if they wouldn't mind you installing it

Undisputed56 Sun 10-Dec-17 17:48:53

Speak to her again and tell her the constant noise, which she has agreed she can hear, is affecting you deeply and making you ill so can she please implement one of the many suggestions you have given her

imnottoofussed Sun 10-Dec-17 17:49:08

Are you sure it's the tumble dryer? May be a fish tank or dehumidifier.

Chattymummyhere Sun 10-Dec-17 17:49:28

Wel a tumble dryer isn’t something you tend to have on unless you need too so I don’t think it would count as unreasonable noise.

Ours is likely on about that much as a family of five we have a ton of washing it’s also on the party wall as that’s where the plumbing for it is in the utility. Neighbours never mentioned it though.

imnottoofussed Sun 10-Dec-17 17:50:24

Sorry realise you've spoken to them. Not sure there is anything you can do. My neighbour uses hers in the evenings but stops by about 10pm so it doesn't really bother me.

SenseCheckMe Sun 10-Dec-17 17:50:37

Its a family of 3 people. I suspect a business too. We asked her it was broken, and she was evasive. Said yes takes 4 hrs to dry (we'd offer to fix it) then next time we spoke she said no it wasn't broken.

TheSameCoin Sun 10-Dec-17 17:50:41

Surely it can’t be her tumble dryer? Are you sure it’s not something else like a dehumidifier or extractor fan?

cakeymccakington Sun 10-Dec-17 17:52:09

How do you know it's on all day if you work full time?

In any case I think you need to talk to her again and really push the point that this is affecting you and it needs solving.
If it's a condenser dryer could it be moved a bit??

TrinitySquirrel Sun 10-Dec-17 17:52:15

Weed farm with associated electricals and extractors probably. Unless she's about 78.

cakeymccakington Sun 10-Dec-17 17:52:58

Or... could you insulate your side?

SenseCheckMe Sun 10-Dec-17 17:53:28

It sounds broken to us. Its defo a tumble dryer. It sounds like the drum is knackered. We can hear it over our washing machine when on full spin. 😲

DownTheChimney Sun 10-Dec-17 17:53:30

Well you've gone down the nice route and she's not changed, so I'd complain to the council. That's excessive noise not normal household noise.

CorbynsBumFlannel Sun 10-Dec-17 17:54:33

If you work full time surely you’d only know it was on in the morning and evening?
I think it’s reasonable noise tbh. She’s hardly going to have her dryer on with nothing to dry is she. Unless you think she is operating a laundrette as a business like a poppy has said I don’t think there’s much you can do other than find ways to make it more bearable - tv or music on etc.

elephantoverthehill Sun 10-Dec-17 17:54:50

I reckon it could be a fridge, mine has started making some quite loud noises. The motor is required more during the day when DCs open it to look inside eleven billionty times a day to see if any more food has somehow appeared but is quiet at night.

CorbynsBumFlannel Sun 10-Dec-17 17:55:36

A pp not poppy!

DownTheChimney Sun 10-Dec-17 17:55:51

Weed farm with associated electricals and extractors probably

Yes, I wondered that

SenseCheckMe Sun 10-Dec-17 17:56:24

We do have a stench of cannabis from next door. We leave no eindoes open, yet it permeates through somehow.

Whilst we work full time i ocassionally WFH and DH pops make sometimes during day and its always on.

TenancyTroublesAgain Sun 10-Dec-17 17:56:39

10 hours a day? That is beyond ridiculous, no matter how big their family is. They really need to fix it. That would drive me nuts.

LaurieFairyCake Sun 10-Dec-17 17:57:03

That's defo a weed farm

Call the rozzers

MsMims Sun 10-Dec-17 17:57:11

Do you hear other household noise? Must be terrible sound proofing if you can hear it all through the house. Can usually only hear a tumble dryer as a faint hum in the next room, let alone the next house. I think some companies can install sound proofing to help.

Minster2012 Sun 10-Dec-17 17:57:16

You can complain to the council for a noise complaint & state how you have tried to resolve it, that it’s making you ill (best go to the doctor) doesn’t matter if yours or their house is privately owned we had to do this for noisy neighbours and eventually they got letters saying they were being monitored for a period of time. If they are running a business too it would scare them.

Or as a first measure investigate this route then write them a letter saying you will make a complaint as you have personally monitored the situation & believe it to be disruptive & they have made no reasonable attempt to address this. You could also mention that you believe they may be running a business from the property. Could scare them into doing something?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now